I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Neil Langford replied to Neil Langford's discussion Transducer Cross Reference Required / E62007
"Hi TJ, I appreciate your detailed response. Of course it showed that I had read off and sent you the wrong transducer details .... duh. So here is the depth transducer that is actually fitted : SS555 50/200khz - A PN: 31-811-5-01 Rev 03 Customer…"
9 minutes ago
Tom posted a status
"WhMy ST 60+ wind indicator (pointer) is frozen. The digital wind speed indicator works fine. Occasionally, the needle will indicate interm"
1 hour ago
Skip Gundlach replied to Skip Gundlach's discussion C120Classic with non-Raymarine GPS NMEA connections
"My sincere apologies for being such a dunderhead...   In order to isolate any potential EMF/RFI from other instruments, I'll be running the GPS to the nav station's NMEA terminal block, and to a separate breaker for power (it now…"
2 hours ago
Ivaylo Georgiev replied to Ivaylo Georgiev's discussion connect raymarine acu-400 with garmin 6012
"thanks a lot ,works like charm :)) "
2 hours ago
Ivaylo Georgiev liked Ivaylo Georgiev's discussion connect raymarine acu-400 with garmin 6012
2 hours ago
Thomas Norris replied to Thomas Norris's discussion Waypoint Symbols For Voyage Planner - Multi-Function Display
"Moderator: Did you receive the message sent regarding a separate multifunction display issue that was intended for Raymarine viewing only? If received, please advise what has developed. If not received, then please advise how a PDF can be sent that…"
2 hours ago
Richard Kinard replied to Richard Kinard's discussion RayTech 6.2 Crashes While Connecting to ST(hs) Network
"It's interesting how at the very bottom of the reference accessed by "click here", see footnote #13, E-Series Wide MFD's are excluded from being interfaced via Seatalk(hs). Looks like Raymarine is abandoning the further…"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Thomas Bartolomei's discussion Static from Antenna Wire
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Thomas, Based upon the problem description, it sounds like you have a bad PL259 connector.  It is recommended that a new PL259 connector be installed on the VHF antenna cable and that the VHF antenna and…"
3 hours ago
Ori replied to Ori's discussion auto pilot EV100 and old instruments
"so I understand that I do not need the fluxgate compass as for the EV-1 will be my heading sensor. is raymarine seatlak 1 to seatalk ng converter the same as seatalk to seatalk ng? thank you"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to tom manson's discussion hsb2 raytech5.0
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Tom, Unfortunately, RayTech RNS 5.0 was designed for use with the Window XP environment and Raymarine never developed hsb2 Interface Kit Drivers for any other operating systems.  As such, it is not…"
3 hours ago
tom manson posted a discussion

hsb2 raytech5.0

My xp laptop is failing. replacement is windows 7. What do I need to do to make my system work on windows 7. hsb2 with usb seatalk interfaceSee More
3 hours ago
George Rubis posted a discussion

RL80 &Rl70 C Plus HSB2

Hi, I have a RL80C plus & a RL70C Plus both hsb2.It was originally hooked up to a RN300 Until the GPS stopped receiving a signal. I also have a Furuno system onboard driving my computer system & auto pilot so rather then spend additional monies I hooked up the raymarine units to the Furuno GP 37 & everything worked for about 3 years perfectly. Then the gps would not talk to the Raymarine units any more, but still is working for the computer system & my simrad auto pilot.I have…See More
3 hours ago
Greg Pfleger replied to Greg Pfleger's discussion Smart controller issue
" "
4 hours ago
Greg Pfleger replied to Greg Pfleger's discussion Smart controller issue
"Yes, the unit stays on.  The issue really is that the unit goes into error mode (NO PILOT) when the rest of the nav equipment is shut down.  The beeping is annoying.  So I have to unplug the unit and power it…"
4 hours ago
Profile Icontom manson, Frank, Eddie Legard and 14 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
4 hours ago
Thomas Bartolomei posted a discussion

Static from Antenna Wire

I seemed to have either created a problem or exposed one.  I did some shuffling of several wire harnesses under the dash.  After recollecting all of the bundles, I noticed that I've since had to increase the squelch to maximum on my radio (Ray 230) in order to 'quiet' the radio, particularly on channel 16.As this caught my attention, I figured that I might have accidentally loosened the antenna wire.  Upon touching the antenna wire, the radio immediately responds with static as if receiving a…See More
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service