I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Jim Sanchez's discussion Radar connection with MFD
"You can connect right to the back of the e7D display, no crossover or anything else needed. When you turn on the e7D, choose the Radar Icon, what are you seeing on the screen?  The radar takes a 70 second countdown to warm up before…"
21 minutes ago
Michael Layton posted a status
"Just bought an a78 downvision. Transducer is mounted and plugged in properly but is not found when I attempt to do the Set Up, any ideas ?"
34 minutes ago
Corey Miller replied to Corey Miller's discussion What do you reommend for an upgrade to my C Series fishfinder
"Deepest is 200'"
49 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to R P's discussion RL70C Radar Only Added to RL70C MFD
"I would recommend searching Internet auction sites (ebay, Craigs List, etc.), as Raymarine retired this product almost ten years ago."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Luis's discussion Getting NMEA 183 data
"Luis, When interfacing NMEA 0183 devices such as the NMEA 0183 to Wi-Fi interface to the E85001, the Wi-Fi interface should be interfaced to the NMEA IN and NMEA 0UT terminals of the E85001.  The E850001 can function in one of two mutually…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Yuri Evfimiou's discussion Interfacing a C80 Classic MFD with RS11
"Yuri, SeaTalk communications protocol does not support engine data and as such, your engine gateway should not be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.  If you examine the back side of the MFD, you will find that its…"
1 hour ago
Jim Ambrosio replied to Jim Ambrosio's discussion Auto pilot not engaging
"The E 12197 number came from the ST 70 diagnostic menu. The Course computer says X-scan on it when I removed the cover there is a label with E 12200. There is a bar code on the unit # 5670-004 41218874. I was operating the boat in open water when I…"
1 hour ago
Mark replied to Mark's discussion a98 transducer
"Ok thanks. I guess that leads to my next question. If i were to return the a98 for the a97 so I can get a flush mount thru hull, what are the differences in bottom picture. I believe the A98 has chirp sonar and the a97 does not? I guess I'm…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Aknelson's discussion New electronics install
"Yes."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Craig Davis's discussion Upgrade to Lighthouse II v13.37 on e7D MFD - Problems with charts
"You're welcome."
1 hour ago
thomas morgan posted a discussion

st 5000+ auto pilot

im having problems with my auto pilot. when I turn the boat on the auto pilot rudder position shows it all the way to the port and both lower ends are straight. then when I engage the auto pilot it turns left and keeps wanting to turn left even after its turned all the way until I turn it off. any ideas where I should start?See More
1 hour ago
John Gerstein posted a discussion

Autopilot Advice

I have a 2013 Scout 245 XSF with a Yamaha 300 outboard and I would like to add an autopilot. I have a Raymarine E125 Hybrid Touch chartplotter with sonar already. I am looking at the Raymarine Evolution series of Autopilots but not exactly which one is right for my setup. I looked at my steering and I have a Seastar part #HC5358. Looking for help to make sure I pick the right Evolution system.See More
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Trevor Smith's discussion Raytheon RL70C
"I will leave this open to be seen by other Forum members."
1 hour ago
Roger Wells posted a discussion

EV-1 loation

Installing a new Ev 200 Sail AP.  Would the location of a previously successful Autohelm 6000 fluxgate be a good place to mount the new EV-1 core sensor? ThanksSee More
1 hour ago
Nick K posted a discussion

Dragonfly 6/7 wiring harness pinout diagram

I'm having trouble with my Dragonfly 6.  Got it last year, put up for winter, MFD inside my house, boat in storage.  Wont turn on, beep etc.  I checked the power, 12.8V steady.  I hooked it direct to the battery, red to positive, ground/bleed to negative as I did the year before to test it, nothing still.  There is no corrosion etc, it's all clean.  I pulled the harness from the Dragonfly and tried to find a +12V reading on any two leads, best I came up with was ~4.8-5V on a (few)…See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dan's discussion e127 navigation card
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Dan, Please click here to view the Forum discussion in which I had previously addressed this subject."
1 hour ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service