I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

John Russo replied to John Russo's discussion Route transfers from flask Card
"I was unable to download and open the attachment to a flash card and view on RayTech Planner. Could you please indicate an incorrect waypoint designation  as I have reviewed the listing of correct characters cited under "here" and…"
8 minutes ago
Thomas Bartolomei replied to Thomas Bartolomei's discussion Depth/Temp Transducer for C-120 Classic
"Thanks, I should have been more clear.  Fact of the matter is, I was in the engine room yesterday and for the life of me, I cannot trace where the lead from the transducer terminates too.  I know I don't have any DSM model.  I…"
14 minutes ago
Richard Pederson updated their profile
25 minutes ago
Annie Naismith replied to Annie Naismith's discussion Traffic Separation Zones
"I checked the MFD diagnostics and the current software is V10.34-00628. Is that the Lighthouse II software? With regard to the SD/micro SD card, we went to a Raymarine class in the SF Bay Area and the Raymarine instructor gave us the card that we…"
46 minutes ago
Jeff replied to Jeff's discussion Heading sensor recommendation
"Thanks for the information, I think I will go with the EV-1."
50 minutes ago
Donnie O'Neal replied to Donnie O'Neal's discussion Transfer Waypoints from Lowrance to Raymarine
"Thank you."
1 hour ago
Michael Ament posted a discussion

VHF Raymarine 55 MMSI #

Can I erase my current MMSI number on this unit and enter a new one without having to send the unit into a service center?See More
1 hour ago
Eric Skow posted a discussion

wheel pilot motor wire shields

Does anyone  have a recommendation as to where to terminate the shield on the wire to a wheel pilot motor.  it is not obvious to me where to do that.See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jeff's discussion Heading sensor recommendation
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Jeff, Please note that the a/c/e/gS-Series MFD software update added the ability to use the radar overlay feature with COG alone.  That said, there are limitations to COG's ability to function as a…"
1 hour ago
Chuck Cowman replied to Chuck Cowman's discussion DSM30 mounting position
"By quirkie, (maybe a poor word choice) I meant that I get lost signal messages, and sometimes the unit has a hard time finding the bottom if I am moving much faster than a fast idle (ie 4+knots or so).  In following the other messages, it…"
1 hour ago
Jeff posted a discussion

Heading sensor recommendation

Hi,I  have an E97 mfd with 24" HD radar and want to overlay radar on the chart.  The vessel has Mercury Axius premier for auto pilot and has its own heading sensor.  I thought I could share that heading data, but just found out I cannot.  Axius only recieves information from the mfd via nmea 0183, so I need to add a sensor.I currently have the mfd 0183 connection using all 4 wires, if I add an Airmar H2083, would I be able to output on the mfd to axius and the input on the mfd to heading…See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to carmelo martinez's discussion Raytheon V850 Color Echo Sounder removed, still have transducer in place. What newer display can I replace with?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Carmelo, Unfortunately, transducers designed for use with the V850 can neither be interfaced to nor adapted for use with any of Raymarine's currently manufactured products featuring fishfinding…"
1 hour ago
carmelo martinez posted a discussion

Raytheon V850 Color Echo Sounder removed, still have transducer in place. What newer display can I replace with?

I'd prefer not to run a new transducer, so I am looking for a recommended display I can use after removing my old Raytheon V850 Color Echo Sounder. Looking for something a bit more modern that I can just plug the existing transducer in seeing how it is already wired and such.Thank you!See More
1 hour ago
Profile IconWaldou2, David Daneshmand, carmelo martinez and 19 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
1 hour ago
Chuck Knight replied to Chuck Knight's discussion Connecting a new RD424HD radar to an E-120 classic MFD.
"What do I need to do to get a response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Joe Durand's discussion EV-100
"The Evolution autopilot doesn't have a minimum speed associated, it is usually dependent on the vessel steering and the minimum speed you can control the vessel.  The EV-100 hydraulic pump is not the same as the S1000 hydraulic pump so if…"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service