I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Ken Rudzki replied to Ken Rudzki's discussion auto pilot pump check valve
"The pump is a 6000 type 2 and the computer is 6000I "
18 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Michael's discussion RL80C Won't Boot
"Michael, The specified numbers are not a valid serial number.  These may be associated with CE certification.  It is recommended that you inspect inside of the radome shells again. That said, the only displays which would be compatible…"
40 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Steve C's discussion Navionics Freshest Data Plotter Sync Update Fails - "Incompatible Card"
"Steve, The pictured chart card is not a chart card that would be included within a Raymarine bundle.  Such Navionics chart cards feature RYM within the product ID printed on the chart card's label.  The product ID of this chart card…"
49 minutes ago
Michael replied to Michael's discussion RL80C Won't Boot
" Hi, Finally took the dome off and found the following numbers: 149B403 OLMTX4 Can you please recommend a new chartplotter that will be compatible with my radar, gps, and autopilot? Thanks! Michael."
53 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Damon Morrison's discussion C95 shows heading in the info box but not vector
"Damon, Q1: The C95 reports Ground wind and apparent wind (but for some reason not true wind) and the wind vector does not show up.  Again this is all happening while parked (true and apparent would be the same in this case).  A1:…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Ed's discussion AIS650 Installation - Unit only operates in Silent Mode
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Ed, The most common causes for this problem are: the vessel's MMSI has not been programmed into the AIS650 ... this must be performed by the dealer, installation technician, or Raymarine's Product…"
1 hour ago
Wayne Jeffress replied to Wayne Jeffress's discussion P74 On an A68
"Forgot to mention that the A98 is on a NMEA 2000 backbone with a Point 1 Ant/heading sensor. I was hoping to share/sync waypoints by NMEA 2000 if this is doable."
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to J Michael Joyal, Jr's discussion AIS 500 Integration with e95 MFD
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum J, First, some comments on the diagram you have attached to the discussion: The SPX30 should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus. The SPX30 should be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone The SPX30…"
2 hours ago
Kevin replied to Kevin's discussion Identification and replacement of remote control
"Sorry to bring this up again, having trouble finding a used ST6001/2 control. Will the newer control heads work utilizing the SeaTalk 1 wire in the spur cable?"
2 hours ago
Keith Aakre replied to Keith Aakre's discussion R424D Serial number Location
"OK Thanks"
4 hours ago
Ed replied to Ed's discussion Raymarine SmartController installation with Evolution Auto Pilot
"Does it have to be connected to the yellow sea talk port? I have multiple switches in my setup and I have already used the yellow port for another device.  I have available white or blue ports, can I connect to one of these or do I need to…"
8 hours ago
Damon Morrison replied to Damon Morrison's discussion C95 shows heading in the info box but not vector
"Thanks that makes sense.  I will try the infinite setting.  The wind vector is more problematic.  My C95 gets data (GPS/wind/heading/speed) from an Airmar PB200 via NMEA 2000. The C95 reports Ground wind and apparent wind…"
10 hours ago
J Michael Joyal, Jr replied to J Michael Joyal, Jr's discussion SPX30 Configuration Questions
"It will be a few weeks before I get back to the boat and I'll check, but my vague recollection is it shows as one of the data elements under the pilot related choices that could be selected to display when setting up data…"
13 hours ago
Steve C replied to Steve C's discussion Navionics Freshest Data Plotter Sync Update Fails - "Incompatible Card"
"Thank you for your response, Mr. Moderator! The information on the card is, All USA & Northern Bahamas MSD/1XG US1IzS1D6W1GU1 Photo of card attached. Thanks for any assistance you can provide. -Steve"
15 hours ago
Kevin McIntosh replied to Kevin McIntosh's discussion external Raymarine GPS unit not seen as a Data Source by MDS following e127/e125 MFDs s/w upgrade to v12.26
"Thank you sir."
15 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Richard Scarinzi's discussion C120 Compatibility
"You're welcome."
16 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service