I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Rick Krems replied to Tom Hall's discussion How to test ST60 wind transducer?
"At my ST60 instrument, with only the red and shield connected, I read 8v between the yellow terminal and shield. Does this indicate a failed instrument?"
4 hours ago
Eric replied to Eric's discussion Dragonfly 4/5 Pro Wi-Fi Questions
"Thanks for the quick response.  Given the large number of useless emails I (probably most of us) receive, notification of an available software update for my specific fish finder would be refreshingly useful.  I hope Raymarine goes ahead…"
11 hours ago
jon kliegman replied to Larry Taunt's discussion I60 Wind instrument upgrade from ST50
"There should be 5 wires in the cable from the transducer whose colors will match the five 1/8" spade connectors in the back of the I60.  The cable from the transducer will have to be cut exposing the five colored…"
12 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Michael's discussion RL80C Won't Boot
"You're welcome."
12 hours ago
William Callahan posted a discussion

Autopilot Problems

My autopilot has stopped working after the cold winter.  It can't find a heading.  I called a few weeks ago and found out the specs to Ohm out the Fluxgate Compass.  All was in spec.  So I called back and have been told it is probably the course computer.  I need to figure out what I should replace. I have a type100 course computer.  Connected to a ST60 tri data and ST60 wind.  Had to put on a ST6002 control head for the autopilot a few years ago.  Can't read the part number on the rotary…See More
13 hours ago
Jerry Smith replied to Jerry Smith's discussion EV 100 Autopilot
"I have tried both Cruising and Performance for response level. Performance seems best. Vessel type is set to Power. "
13 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Edwin Zivi's discussion RC530 based Seatalk system upgrade
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Edwin, If replacing the MFD, option 5 is unquestionably the best solution.   Any Raymarine products featuring a 1st generation SeaTalk interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng interface…"
13 hours ago
Michael replied to Michael's discussion RL80C Won't Boot
"Thanks. The COG and heading on the AP display still don't correspond to each other. I have both set to True for heading but they're off by a lot. Do I have to do the calibration procedure for the AP? Is the fluxgate compass redundant or…"
13 hours ago
Larry Taunt replied to Larry Taunt's discussion I60 Wind instrument upgrade from ST50
"Okay, I am have replaced my ST 50 wind instrument with the new I60 instrument but I am having installation issues.  There was no spade on the cable when it came.  The installation guide shows 7 wires to connect the transducer and the cable…"
13 hours ago
Spencer Thomason replied to Spencer Thomason's discussion ITC-5 analog speed and depth
"I only see the depth on the ITC-5 which is working. I do not see the speed or temp.(PS: the temp reads the temperature at about twice what the water temp is and has for a couple of years.   "
13 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Eric's discussion Dragonfly 6 wifi?
"You're welcome."
13 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Tim Bowie's discussion True Wind Speed, i60
"No, the a65 will not provide Speed through the Water data, GPS provides only Speed over Ground.  You will need a speed transducer to provide Speed through the Water, in order to get True Wind Speed."
13 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Bill hodges's discussion eS Series MFD
"Bill, Your suggested use of the equipment, both new and existing, is indeed valid."
13 hours ago
Michael Matthews replied to Michael Matthews's discussion EV-200 Autopilot remote controls
"Thanks, I think I'll go with the ST70 and down the road I'll let all know if I have any problems. Thanks again"
13 hours ago
Jonathan Burt replied to Jonathan Burt's discussion E120 classic to ST80 interconnection
"@underway, Thanks for the reply.  Will Seatalk information come in via that port?  I had assumed that it was only for alarm purposes. Thanks Jon"
13 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to David Risch's discussion ST 60 Wind Stuck In Slave?
"The next step is doing to masthead test, this is either a masthead or display issue.  If the masthead tests OK, then I would recommend that the display be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician for repair. Masthead…"
13 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service