I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 482

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Ray DeLeo replied to Michael Williamson's discussion ST60+ Compass - blank screen
"Thanks, I'll give that a try. "
29 minutes ago
Brian Meyers replied to Kim Dingwall's discussion Ray260 VHF
"Yes - Can't just plug and play the 260  Brian, As the Ray260 does not feature a SeaTalk communications port.  It features SeaTalkng and NMEA 0183 communications ports.  Should your Ray240 have been interfaced via SeaTalk…"
31 minutes ago
Ray DeLeo replied to Michael Williamson's discussion ST60+ Compass - blank screen
"I have experienced the same problem but it hasn't happened lately although now I can no longer switch to magnetic heading only true. sorry but I don't have the solution"
36 minutes ago
Bradley Washburn replied to Kim Dingwall's discussion Ray260 VHF
"Have you ever got an answer to your question? I'm trying to replace 240 with 260. I've tried to pull old wire to replace, but I've had no luck. Can I solder new ends on old wires? "
40 minutes ago
robert Kosheff replied to robert Kosheff's discussion Depth at speed
"Thanks for you response. Although I have only had this unit For less than a week, I lose the depth reading at any speed over 8 kts. Yesterday however I got good depth reading at all speeds in all functions. This lasted about 10 minutes and then…"
3 hours ago
Mircea Tomus replied to Mircea Tomus's discussion Raymarine X-5 on/0ff switch
"Thank you, gentlemen. All done. The autopilot recognizes the Garmin GPS and it may be switched off with a main switch on the powerline. I'll have to calibrate it on the water now. Shouldn't the autopilot get the correct heading from the…"
3 hours ago
Kurt replied to Kurt's discussion Posting nmea 183 Data to Tacktick Wireless via T122
"Update on problem. Have reduced data supplied to the T122 to one sentence transmitted at 4800 baud. Micro net consistently updates data for 10 second after micro net boot then "hangs" (displays the same data) for 5 seconds then displays no…"
3 hours ago
Paul Poswiatowski replied to Paul Poswiatowski's discussion I have a Raychart 520 and a Raystar 120 antenna and can't get it to work:
"Thank you."
3 hours ago
Fraser Bolwell replied to Fraser Bolwell's discussion A60 - WPTS pages not showing up, "Goto wpt options" all grayed out, constant beep every 4 sec
"I tried the suggested fixes from the Moderator, no luck there. What's strange is I would switch on the GPS and it wouldn't work, switch it off and on again and it would work. I tried this two more times with the same result. Not working…"
4 hours ago
Nadia Stocker posted a status
"How to connect a i60 wind system to a close hauled wind instrument"
4 hours ago
James Emigh liked James Emigh's profile
13 hours ago
Eric replied to Eric's discussion Options for an old SL760 Charplotter/fishfinder Dash Mount Replacement
"The a77 is too short for me to use.  The dash cutout on my SL760 is a little over 7 inches in height.  The a77 cutout is only 5.12 inches in height.  Am I missing something?  Is there another model that I could keep that height?…"
13 hours ago
David Gilbert replied to Richard Itkin's discussion C120W compatibility
"Thanks to Randy and Greg and the Moderator for taking the time to respond.   Cheers Dave"
17 hours ago
Clay Hadnot replied to Clay Hadnot's discussion Radar open array
"It is an older C 120 (new by the existing radar age ) so it is a C series classic.  I just need the parts to adapt."
19 hours ago
Marino Parodi replied to Marino Parodi's discussion T120 wind sensor linearity problem
"sorry for the delay in responding. I have two instruments, a T110 and T112 and both scored on an incorrect value. By moving the vane hand reads 0 ° to 0 ° and 180 ° to 165 ° marks. I also tried to set as master both the T110 and the…"
19 hours ago
C. Bruce Dickinson replied to C. Bruce Dickinson's discussion i50 and p70R compatible with ST60 gear
"Another question.  I have not upgraded anything yet and this past weekend I took a two hour trip and throughout the trip both to and from then autopilot was constantly correcting and zig sagging rather than maintaining a steady course.  It…"
19 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service