I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

john pavao replied to john pavao's discussion dsm400
"well the dsm300 keeps losing connection and have unplug the dsm300 so that it starts seeing again thanks "
2 hours ago
Gary Burton replied to Gary Burton's discussion A65 choices
"Thanks, the instruments are ST50 interfaced through a E22158, currently this information is available on the ST70 which is the ACU-200 interface. Right now no AIS500 data shows up on the ST70 but I assume the A65 will be able to show the AIS…"
4 hours ago
Kevin Parsell replied to Kevin Parsell's discussion EV100 version update support
"Underway, Thanks for getting back to me on this. You confirmed what I suspected. I read the first 50 or so posts on the autopilot forum and learned keeping evolution components up to date is a routine procedure. I also have a better understanding…"
5 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Wade Olson's discussion RD418HD Radar misses targets
"Wade, With respect to picking up distant boats and buoys, the radar horizon is dependent upon the height of radar scanner above the water's surface and the height above target above the water's surface ... simply sum the distance to…"
5 hours ago
Profile IconRonald Pachter, Matias, Troy Stanton and 8 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
5 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Sam Snead's discussion A65 MFD to Standard Horizon GX2150 NMEA 0183 \ A65 autopilot control
"Vic, Evolution autopilots will indeed support the heading requirement of the a/c/e/gS-Series MFD's MARPA radar feature.  From personal experience with an Evolution and prior Raymarine autopilots onboard my own boat, the Evolution…"
5 hours ago
vic replied to Sam Snead's discussion A65 MFD to Standard Horizon GX2150 NMEA 0183 \ A65 autopilot control
"Thank you, will the new evolution series 200 autopilot work at the 10hz indicated to support the MARPA function?"
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Mark Evenson's discussion E7
"Mark, You're welcome."
6 hours ago
Mark Evenson replied to Mark Evenson's discussion E7
"I have printed out your instructions and will try these steps tonight. Thank you."
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Mark Evenson's discussion E7
"Mark, If you look at your MFD's trim ring, you will find that it features a depression on one corner.  This depression is has been provided to provide the necessary clearance to open the MFD's memory card reader door.  Should the…"
6 hours ago
Mark Evenson replied to Mark Evenson's discussion E7
"I can't get the any of the keys to work during this. Except I can power off and power back on but this screen always comes back up."
6 hours ago
Mark Evenson posted a discussion

E7

I am having this error show up on my E7 chartplotter screen. Please help. :-)See More
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Leonard Winchester's discussion sonar recommendations
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Leonard, 1.  CHIRP Airmar TM265 ... Raymarine offers the A80013 TM265LH 42-65kHz and 13-210kHz CHIRP Transducer.  This transducer must be interfaced to a CP450 CHIRP Sonar Module 2. …"
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Michael Cook's discussion A78 MFD displaying multiple sonars at the same time
"You're welcome."
7 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Sam Snead's discussion A65 MFD to Standard Horizon GX2150 NMEA 0183 \ A65 autopilot control
"Vic, Per our phone conversation, you identified that you are attempting to interface: c-Series MFD a-Series MFD  S2G ST6002 Autopilot Control Head ST60 Depth Raystar 125 GPS Sensor Standard Horizon GX2150 In order to use the MFD's MARPA…"
7 hours ago
vic replied to Sam Snead's discussion A65 MFD to Standard Horizon GX2150 NMEA 0183 \ A65 autopilot control
"I have spoken with tech support at raymarine this morning by telephone. they indicated that the seatalk converter bus is utilizing software version 1.21 currently. this is what we are seeing on the connected MFD. tech support indicated that any…"
9 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service