I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Gene Savell posted a discussion

Ds600x to a67 connectivity

Is there any way to use my ds600x as a second screen to my A67?
10 minutes ago
John Markunas posted discussions
14 minutes ago
Lassej posted discussions
15 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Michael Salotti's discussion EV -100 seem correct? 19ft Sea nymph GLS series 115HP Baystar Hydraulic
"Yes, the EV-100 Power would be the autopilot for your system, it works with system up to 9 cubic inches.  I would recommend connecting the EV-100 to the Lowrance unit via NMEA 2000 / Seatalk NG."
18 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to fred's discussion Replacment drive motor for an Autohelm ST4000
"Unfortunately, parts are no longer available for the older Black wheel drive, I would have to point you toward aftermarket channels (Ebay, Craigslist, or Marine Classifieds) to find a working wheel drive you can use for spare parts or direct…"
21 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Roger Boxall's discussion Linear arm locked
"The clutch might have been stuck, the tap released it.  Might be something you should have looked at if it happens again."
23 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Michael Rendas's discussion Which Autopilot should I use, SPX5 or EV 100?
"I would recommend upgrading to the EV-100 Evolution System, when looking to communicate with a Garmin Chartplotter and wind instrument via NMEA2000, the Evolution system is a NMEA2000 certified device.  The X5 is not and the only way to…"
28 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Steve Eller's discussion Is RayTech RNS being phased out?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Steve, RayTech RNS software development (at least in its current form) has ceased.  Raymarine does not presently offer software permitting a PC to function with the a/c/e/gS-Series MFDs in the…"
30 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Mikael H's discussion Show vessels name from AIS
"Noted."
38 minutes ago
George Zahn replied to George Zahn's discussion ST4000 Auto pilot with p70 pilot controller
" "
44 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Lenny Reich's discussion RC530 vs. RC530 Plus vs. ?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Lenny, The RC530+ features hsb2 communications circuitry (see below).  The RC530+ featured support for NT+ cartography including NT+ Wide chart cards.  When operating with the v4.11 software, the…"
48 minutes ago
George Zahn replied to George Zahn's discussion ST4000 Auto pilot with p70 pilot controller
"The p70 Pilot Controller is connected using a SeaTalk (NG) cable to an EV1 Sensor, a ST6000 MK2 Wheeldrive and a ACU-100. These components were purchased as a system, My concern is the procedure to SeaTria Calibrate the system as covered in Document…"
49 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to John Carvour's discussion A 78 compatibility with ST 5000+
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum John, Any Raymarine products featuring a 1st generation SeaTalk interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng interface (ex. ST40/60+ Instrument Displays, ST5000+, Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, LifeTag,…"
57 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Mike yacono's discussion waypoint transfer from Garmin to c125
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Mike, Does your Garmin chartplotter support GPX waypoint/route/track file format?  If so, simply copy the GPX file to a microSD memory card and then import the data from this file into the MFD's…"
1 hour ago
John Carvour posted a discussion

A 78 compatibility with ST 5000+

I have a 2001 Shamrock with an older ST 5000+ auto pilot. I am ready to Update the old 760 display with a new A 78 head unit. My question is, will a Sea Talk to Sea Talk NG converter allow them to network? Will I have full funtionality of the autopilot? Thanks in advance, JCSee More
1 hour ago
michael scott updated their profile
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service