I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Jerry G. replied to Jerry G.'s discussion C70 Classic MFD with a Raystar 112LP GPS
"Hello Moderator, In reviewing the SeaTalk wiring in the 112lp/120 manual, I decided that the Red wire from the SeaTalk cable should be connected to the +12vdc along with the Red wire from the 120 according to the pictoral diagram. Once…"
3 hours ago
Tony vW posted discussions
4 hours ago
Bill Moloney posted a discussion

P70 Control Head User Preferences Not Saving

I have a P70 control head on an SPX30 AP. I cannot change the units in the user preferences. E.GFeet will not change to meters - tried just about everything, some other settings also cannot be saved.Any hints ?See More
5 hours ago
daryl sorensen posted discussions
7 hours ago
Douglas Majors replied to Douglas Majors's discussion Evolution 200
"Hi, I wish Raymarine would include the blue backbone cable with the kit instead of the red power cable.  The EV-100 already includes the power cable and a backbone cable will be required.  Also, We don't need the 16 ft. backbone…"
7 hours ago
Will Hodel replied to Will Hodel's discussion Quick upgrade question
"Regardless of the colors I was wondering do they work, impedance needs to match. The frequencies for depth are the same but has anyone upgraded this way and had it work. "
7 hours ago
Jarret S replied to Jarret S's discussion Help me Decide on a Fishfinder
"Do i need anything extra with the A78? Does it come with a transducer?"
8 hours ago
John R Walkey replied to John R Walkey's discussion i70 incorrect COG display
"I did not send the I70 back to the factory, and finally gave up on correcting the problem. Obviously the product is not fit for its intended purposes. I hope that it does not someday cause me to make a navigation error that is costly, and result in…"
8 hours ago
Peter Kleim replied to Tom Dignam's discussion EV l Placement: Benefit Forward or Amidship
"Even afger changing the location of my EV Sensor on a Bristol 35.5 sailboat it does not give me a deviation reading. Any advice?"
8 hours ago
Jerry G. replied to Jerry G.'s discussion C70 Classic MFD with a Raystar 112LP GPS
"Thank You Moderator, Just to refresh, This is a simple system with just a SeaTalk cable connected to the C70 MFD and 120. No other devices and no SeaTalk junction box. just wire to wire. I connected the 120 SeaTalk and MFD as instructed in…"
8 hours ago
Daniel Mulvey posted a discussion

Adding databar block C120

I have (2) E120s on my boat. One of them allows 3 databar blocks of information and the other will only allow 2 blocks. When I try to add data it replaces the highlighted block and doesn't add a new block. How can I increase the number of blocks of information? The manual shows a picture of 4 blocks of information.See More
9 hours ago
Robert M Steele posted a discussion

C140W Trip Log

Does the C140W have a GPS based trip log or is the only trip log based on a paddle wheel sensor?  I do not have a paddle wheel and so far I am not accumulating any mileage on my trip logs.  Thanks for any assistance.Robert M SteeleSee More
9 hours ago
David replied to David's discussion CP110 damaged pin on plug
"Thanks for your reply, unfortunately due to the timescale to respond, after several attempts I managed to contact the telephone helpline in the UK. They suggested splicing a transducer extension cable which I have now ordered and relaunched the boat…"
10 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Bob Hussey's discussion deleting waypoints in Voyage Planner
"Scott, I'm glad to learn that you have succeeded with Voyage Planner.  Unfortunately, it is not possible upgrade an a-Series MFD to add WiFi to it."
10 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Wintertree's discussion Using Two Transducers on E Classic
"You're welcome."
10 hours ago
Earl w shelton posted discussions
10 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service