I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Paul Mermelstein replied to Paul Mermelstein's discussion Can't calibrate wind instrument
"Thanks for the reply but I think you missed some important facts from the above trail. First, the inability to calibrate occurs whether the transducer is connected to the iTC-5 OR the i60. So how could it be the i60? Second, even if the measured…"
32 minutes ago
K Blankenhorn updated their profile
2 hours ago
Frank M. Clemente replied to Frank M. Clemente's discussion E97 Radar Overlay
"Thanks for the info on SeaTalkng. Looks fairly easy to set up. Is it possible that I have the 5 way switch or an ITC5 since I do have a depth and speed transducer and that data does appear on my e97? Also I have 2 - 4" Vessel View displays…"
3 hours ago
Mark Coleman replied to Mark Coleman 's discussion Rudder reference issues on pro staff boat
"Ok what next. Thanks."
3 hours ago
James Emigh replied to James Emigh's discussion Need a Solution to My ST 5000 + Auto Pilot Problem
"What is your reaction to the 0 output on the drive side of the control unit when AUTO is selected? Aren't these 2 separate issues? "
3 hours ago
Kevin J. O'Brien updated their profile
3 hours ago
Steven Tello replied to Steven Tello's discussion A65 Chartplotter "No Fix" Question
"Hi Moderator, Thanks very much for your responses, most helpful. I have ordered and received a DY GPS 150 and plan to set it up this weekend.  One additional question, if I connect the DY GPS 150 to the NMEA 0183 port on my A65 Chartplotter,…"
5 hours ago
Jim East replied to Jim East's discussion St6002+ compatable with Raytheon Type 300?
"Thank you."
6 hours ago
Mike Deto replied to Mike Deto's discussion cp200
"I am all signed up when they are released.. Is the transducer supposed to be mounted like a traditional transom mount??Or should it be mounted deeper so it is underwater?How fast can you travel while using it?thank you,Capt. Mike"
7 hours ago
Barron Hoff replied to Barron Hoff's discussion Evolution 200 sea trial calibrations issues
"I purchased the evolution-200 package. Type 1 pump. Rudder feedback. EV-1. Control and computer. I don't have a connection to the chart plotter because it's NMEA 0183. I would like to mainly use it for trolling. Around 2 knots. I've…"
7 hours ago
Mick Laver replied to Mick Laver's discussion E97 "Heading not Available" errors
"Yikes. It doesn't seem any of the ST50 instruments (speed, wind, depth) are providing or receiving heading info. My autopilot (a 4000+) was added later, so presumably its Seatalk doesn't suffer the same issues. Also, this only started…"
7 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Austin Williams's discussion C97 Stops displaying depth
"Austin, Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a transducer to perform the test.  However, the P58 has a street price of approx. $90 and would likely be less costly than having a technician perform this test onboard your boat.  "
7 hours ago
neil henderson replied to neil henderson's discussion C80 ED7 and down vision
"thank you for your reply well i just have to use the C80 as a stand alone GPS ,i would like to know if there is a GPS antenna that i could use for both the E7D and C80 ? i also did not mention i do have a digital radar that came with my E7D kit ,on…"
8 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jonathan Tong's discussion C80 dsm250 shallow water
"Jonathan, The 200 kHz frequency will typically support sounding in depths up to 180'.  When referring to shallow, I am typically addressing operation in depths less than 30'.  "
8 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Clarkey's discussion Refresh rate Fluxgate Compass
"Is there any difference of the heading data between the p70 and the ST70?"
8 hours ago
Shozo Yoshihara replied to Shozo Yoshihara's discussion Resuming route
"Would "E12091" be it?"
8 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service