I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

david greene replied to david greene's discussion lighthouse charts and A75
"OK thinking about it, Great Lakes has multiple charts for lake huron i think what I did and confirm this is what happens if you + in on a sectional chart when you get to it's boundry you need to - out and + in on the next chart over. Or in Lake…"
2 hours ago
Tom Winegar replied to Tom Winegar's discussion ST50+ wind instrument transducer nmea 2000 converter
"Thanks for the reply. I actually think it's a ST50 not the plus and I'm guessing that doesn't make a difference. I was hoping that connecting it to my Garmin GPS would not require me to buy a new instrument. "
2 hours ago
Derek Hillen replied to Derek Hillen's discussion Raymarine ST7001+ Autopilot - service?
"I was on the boat today and took some photos (3 attached). The last one has the serial and model numbers. On the units themselves it only says "Raymarine Type 2." They were installed in 2002 and have worked flawlessly since then. The…"
5 hours ago
Bill Ehlke replied to Bill Ehlke's discussion HD Digital Radar not starting when system is powered on
"The only options that are allowed are "Scanner Setup" and "Range Rings".  All options are visible, but pressing the up and down keys only highlights those two options. The "Select Scanner" option is bypassed until…"
6 hours ago
"Ok went back used + button seems to have worked somewhat only parts of lake huron were showing as i scrolled south it eent back to sat view"
6 hours ago
Profile IconRalph, Casey Stokes, maria jose diaz and 6 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to david greene's discussion lighthouse charts and A75
"David, The MFD appears to be reading data from the chart card as evidenced by the description NOAA Vector.  Did you then use the "+" (Range In) feature to range the chart in until detailed cartography was displayed?"
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Brian Domander's discussion Setting up a new system
"Brian, You appear to have understood my intent correctly."
7 hours ago
"Ok updated software no problem. Started with lighthouse vector chort in slot. Went to customize page - selected chart and proveded to change to lighthouse. Went back got the satelite image with red pixels put cursir over it nothing happened"
7 hours ago
Lothar Taylor replied to Lothar Taylor's discussion i70 integration / setup with ITC-5
"Thanks for the info."
7 hours ago
Brian Domander replied to Brian Domander's discussion Setting up a new system
"Hi again! I think I understand your idea here, and I will put it in different words to check.  What you are suggesting is a three way connection in which red, yellow and shield wires are of course isolated from each other and joined to like…"
7 hours ago
Kevin McIntosh posted discussions
7 hours ago
Fernando replied to Fernando's discussion Adding nmea2000 and nmea183 to an EV100 autopilot
"Thank you very much for your answers. Final questions: 1) Is there any other way to update the p70 than using a Raymarine's plotter? 2) Should I temporally disconnect the ST/STng converter in order to be able to select data, and then reconnect…"
7 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to jonas wallner's discussion a68/78 sonar compatibility
"Jonas, Click here to view the thru-hull transducers which may be used with the a68/a78/a98/a128 MFDs or CP100."
8 hours ago
Lawrence replied to Lawrence's discussion AIS650 software updates
"anyone?"
8 hours ago
Lawrence replied to Lawrence's discussion A22012 replacement
"Does "part number overlap" means same part number for 2 different parts? Its more cylindrical I guess."
8 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service