I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Doug Flink's discussion E7D, C125 waypoint arrival alarm - turn it off??
"You're welcome."
26 minutes ago
Ian Threlfall replied to Doug Flink's discussion E7D, C125 waypoint arrival alarm - turn it off??
"Tried out the new v11.26 - Turned off the Waypoint Arrival Alarm - wonderful - no more freaked out passengers with constant alarms sounding - and my boat defaulted to following the pre-planned route rather than heading straight on .... Thank you…"
1 hour ago
Richard Tomlinson updated their profile
4 hours ago
frank haskell posted a blog post

I am having a problem with my auto pilot.st 70 reads no pilot.in checking the connections I notice something strange.if I unplug the three prong power cable from the back of the e120 my auto pilot co…

I am having a problem with my auto pilot.st 70 reads no pilot.in checking the connections I notice something strange.if I unplug the three prong power cable from the back of the e120 my auto pilot comes on and works fine.as soon as I put the power cable back into the e120 the no pilot comes back on screen of st70.unplug the power cable from back of e120 and the auto pilot immediately comes back on.plug it back into the e120 and it goes to no pilot please help.have voltage in auto pilot box…See More
9 hours ago
Doug Flink posted photos
9 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to John Russo's discussion A 50 CDI Data Display
"You're welcome."
9 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to John Russo's discussion Route transfers from flask Card
"Noted."
9 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jeff Thompson's discussion Wiring standard horizon GX2150 to c series system
"Jeff, It is not possible to use the MFDs SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 port to interface you GX2150 to your MFD.  The MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable (see the cable which is connected to the MFD's port labeled NMEA 0183) must be interfaced to the GX2150…"
9 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Tom Rolf's discussion MFD A68 Man Overboard (MOB) Alarm Will Not Turn-off
"Tom, Upon receiving your initial post regarding not being able to cancel a MOB using the Databar's MOB feature, this feature was tested with an a68 MFD operating with v11.26 software and was found to function as designed ... i.e. touching the…"
10 hours ago
Tom Rolf replied to Tom Rolf's discussion MFD A68 Man Overboard (MOB) Alarm Will Not Turn-off
"Mark you are absolutely right even after I upgraded to version 11 the MOB would not shutoff by pressing the MOB icon in the databar. It was not until I pressed and held the WPT button next to it for 4 seconds did the MOB alarm shutoff...I tested it…"
11 hours ago
John Russo replied to John Russo's discussion Route transfers from flask Card
"I was able to download the Archive FSH to my A-50 as you suggested and able to show my designated waypoints on my routes and assume that I will be able to do it on the E-80 which is still on the boat.  The A-50 is easier to take home to play…"
12 hours ago
John Russo replied to John Russo's discussion A 50 CDI Data Display
"Waypoint bearing is now displayed. thank you! John"
15 hours ago
azadarc posted a status
15 hours ago
azadarc posted a status
15 hours ago
azadarc posted a status
15 hours ago
azadarc posted a status
"What are you up Online Shopping http://onlineshopping-net.blogspot.com/ to?"