I have a 36 foot sailboat and an ST4000 wheel pilot. I have run into two problems.

1) Auto tack - tacking to starboard is ok, tacking to port vessel only gets half way through tack. The wheel begins to correct/stop the turn long before I reach 100 degrees of turn.

2) When engaged the auto pilot moves wheel in a small (inches) amount of turn. This is not nearly enough of a correction in anything other than flat water. The result is vessel does not hold course. I have used many autopilots on other boats and the wheel corrections are always more pronounced.

I have been through all the manuals and this website and cannot figure out if there is a fix.

Views: 875

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the invoice lists as Raymarine E12180 S1 wheel pilot.

At this point I would recommend a full reset of the system, which will then require you to go out and re-calibrate the system again. 

I have enclosed the Comissioning Guide, on page 42 it illustrates how to get into Dealer Calibration, page 50 explains the RESET.  Then, perform the full calibration procedure starting on page 17.

Attachments:

I will give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks,

Send us an update on how you make out.

I followed the instructions and went through the dealer cals and the seatrial.  Then I engaged the auto pilot and did a number of auto tacks, under power, on calm waters. The tacks to both port and starboard completed, albeit very, very  slowly.

I then raised sails and did auto tack a number of times. Conditions were wind 12 kts with small chop. Vessel sometimes completed, but more often than not would only get 85% through the turn.  When engaged and the +1+10 is pushed the wheel turns smartly but before the vessel is head to wind the wheel begins to correct the turn as to not over shoot, and the vessel does not complete the turn.

This is a case of the autopilot correcting the turn too much, which causes the vessel to pass slowly through the eye of the wind, slow down and when there is any chop, stop the turn before it completes.

What are the Rudder Gain and Response levels in Dealer Calibration set at?

Rudder gain is +2, Response level is +2

Try and increase Rudder Gain to 3, and see if that effects the functionality of the AutoTack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Chuck Rich updated their profile
Feb 17
William Lakso updated their profile
Feb 16
Donald Evans commented on Donald Evans's album

NMEA cable

"These cables are available on ww.gps-galore.co.uk and ebay. Bought one myself. The connector is a slightly different shape on the outside but it fits perfectly."
Feb 8
Igor Stelli updated their profile
Feb 1
Gregor Popp updated their profile
Jan 30
Michael Carson replied to Will Ritch-Smith's discussion EV1 wheel jerking back and forth
"I am having the same problem and this is very frustrating. EV1 with ACU400 p70 and rudder position sensor.  Vessel is a 53' sailboat. Displacement is approx 55,000lbs. Steering system is a Whitlock Mamba and the drive unit is a Robertson…"
Jan 27
Rogelio Finoli replied to Andrew Sonis's discussion "no compass" alarm on ST70
"Hi, I´m having problems with, apparently; the compass. I did the tests you suggested and my readings were 6 and 6.1 instead of 4 ohms, and 9.6 or so instead of 8 ohms, all the rest open as you mentioned. May I assume that the compass is…"
Jan 22
Eric West updated their profile
Jan 15
Mark Chapman updated their profile
Jan 12
aaron sherman updated their profile
Jan 10
Craig T. Olsen updated their profile
Dec 31, 2017
David Lane replied to Tiago Menezes's discussion Night mode
"Good day and happy new year to this forum group.   Question: When can we expect Raymarine to ad a night color palette to its line of MFDs?  It’s been talked about in this forum for at least 3 years.   I am 100% satisfied with…"
Dec 31, 2017
Bob Atkins replied to Bob Atkins's discussion Current C-MAP NT+ and NT chart chips do NOT work properly on RL70C
"Hi Thomas, Please read the moderator's instructions on April 8, 2013 and my posting on October 31, 2013 on page 1 of this discussion. The issue has to do with the Plotter Mode setting. The Plotter Mode must be OFF for all…"
Dec 30, 2017
THOMAS A RICH replied to Bob Atkins's discussion Current C-MAP NT+ and NT chart chips do NOT work properly on RL70C
"Good Morning, I also have a Rl80 with the old chip and has worked perfect without any updates except last month it performed exactly as you described.  The maps I have always used now say no Data.  I was going to buy a new chip, but not…"
Dec 30, 2017
Northlightinvest replied to Ben Campbell's discussion Wheelpilot Broken Part
"Dear raymarine team! Please, give information, that where can I order this part from Hungary. 3001-984-B Thanks!"
Dec 27, 2017
Russ Colombo left a comment for lee christiansen
"Lee: Guilty as charged, now gleeful denizen of Marco Island and still sailing.  How good of you to contact, and what news??? "
Dec 14, 2017

© 2018   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service