Problem I had was that the Ram Tube was spinning when I was trying to extend it. I could hold the ram tube and it would extend, but I knew something was going wrong.

Eventually it locked up and all it would do is spin.

So I took it apart to see what I could find wrong.

First I found what looked like a hard plastic ring broken in half and some twisted mangled soft rubber pieces all laying in the bottom of the unit.

I then tried to manually turn the lead screw drive pulley but it was stuck.

So I decided to take it off, As I was knock the pin out that holds the Drive Pulley on, The pulley freed up and I could turn it. It seems that it was jammed into the bearing and so tight on the screw that it was stuck.

Evidently this happen when I made my last maneuver, I did a 90% turn and the unit jammed.

The bearing was very stiff actually stuck and would not spin. I think I can soak this in some lubricant and get it work properly. 

If you look in the ST1000+ and ST2000+ Service Manual, go to "Figure 3. Gearbox assembly" you can see about 90% of the parts. What you dont see is the bearing and the Plastic piece I found shredded in the bottom of the unit.

However looking at the way the discoloration is on the Gearbox plate "see my pictures" my guess is that the plastic ring I found broken goes between the Lead Screw Drive pulley and the Gear Box support plate. I need someone to confirm this a picture would be even better. 

Now when I contacted Raymarine on this they could not or would not look at my pictures, They cannot help me figure out what the broken plastic piece are. They just want me to spend more money and waste more time by sending it in to them to be repaired. I am presently unemployed and I don't have the money to waste on something I can fix myself. I just want to order the parts and fix it.

So my question is to you guys out there, Can anyone tell me so I can order the parts I need.

I already plan to order the new belts, I actually saw on ebay a belt kit that comes with a part that might be what I am looking for. I just need to confirm that the belt kit comes with the plastic part that broke. PLEASE HELP.

Marty  813 766 2165 if you can help please call. 

Views: 6756

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John M Busciglio said:

After all my moaning and groaning Raymarine Has come through. I love you guys I hope you all have a great weekend. 

I have made my own spacer by cutting up a small rubber tyre tube.  I am not sure if the original plastic spacer was fixed to the gear box support structure.  I will monitor its performance after a bit of use.  I am thinking that this spacer is meant to shield the support structure from being damaged when the autohelm ram tube contacts with it when fully returned.

I made my own spacer referred to above by cutting up a small rubber tyre tube. The hardest part of making this part is cutting the central h***.  I used a suitable sized metal tube and hitting it with a hammer over a piece of wood.  I then fitted the rubber at the location between the support bridge and the gearbox support plate and cut the rubber to the shape of the support bridge.  I shall monitor the performance of this rubber spacer after a bit of use of the  auto helm over the next few months.  I also ordered a full gearbox kit (Part Nos.Q054) as the plastic gear was worn.

Does anyone know if the plastic/rubber spacer should be glued (superglue) to the support bridge?

Our technicians do not glue the gasket to the support bridge.

Thank you for that information.

Anytime, contact us with any further questions.

I had the same problem with the ram tube spinning. I opened up the case to find circular bits of plastic at the bottom of the case. I made a bushing to fit between 4. the lead screw drive pulley and 7 the gear box support plate out some food containers I had on board. This mostly remedied the problem. I suspect if I had the OEM part, I would completely remedy the problem. The local Raymarine dealer was able to source the gearbox assembly, which had gears and belts, but not the bushing. The shreds of the bushing are on the left of this picture.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eM3PYW5i4uADZ7SP9

If you look closely, you can see th gap between the lead screw drive pulley and the gearbox support plate where the bushing was.

How do I get the bushing?

Underway - Raymarine, US said:

Technicians don't have any more parts available to them, although they do have parts from other unrepairable units.

I have enclosed the diagram from the Service Manual

On the arrows I have added,

1 - there is no plastic bushing that goes between the lead pulley and the support plate.

2 - is a piece of soft rubber that degrades as it acts as a buffer as the Ram Tube runs along the lead screw. Part of the drive module kit.

3 - support plate that is made of plastic that also creates residue that you show on the pictures on the metal portion of the support plate.

Our service technicians are very busy and aren't allowed on the phone unless speaking with customers with their units in the Service Center.  But if you would like to speak to one of our autopilot technicians, you can call on Main phone number 603.324.7900, and ask to speak with the repair department. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Donald Evans replied to Scott A Crego's discussion NMEA0183 (R08004) for my A65
"llllll"
15 hours ago
"Replacement NMEA cables are to be found here: http://www.gps-galore.co.uk/?product_cat=nmea-0183-cable What happened? did someone scrub the link off? There are so many people out there that can't afford to buy new plotters. Please leave it on…"
16 hours ago
16 hours ago
James Riley updated their profile
Sep 16
Stephen Gwyn replied to John M Busciglio's discussion ST1000+ ST2000+ Autopilot PARTS needed
"I had the same problem with the ram tube spinning. I opened up the case to find circular bits of plastic at the bottom of the case. I made a bushing to fit between 4. the lead screw drive pulley and 7 the gear box support plate out some food…"
Sep 14
walt hoover replied to walt hoover's discussion autopilots
"I'm now installing the autopilot type 2 pump. When connecting into the steering system can I just tee into the three hydraulic lines or is there a different circut setup. My instruction sheet has me a bit stumped because it shows the pump…"
Sep 10
David Lane updated their profile
Aug 29
dave abrams replied to Erik Hillenmeyer's discussion NMEA GPS to DSC VHF connection
"My set up is all raymarine, S6002 autopilot and an A70 display.  how can I connect my dsc vhf to pick up the gps signal?  hopefully I can do this on the pedistile and not have to run wires back to th computer.  plas keep it simple if…"
Aug 18
Gregory S******* updated their profile
Aug 10
Folkmeister replied to Mikael H's discussion Show vessels name from AIS
"Reactivating this old thread -   My prior boat had an e7 and AIS650 which worked great, vessel names were displayed with target info.  My new boat has older e80 and e120 plotters.  We have just installed AIS, but the vast majority of…"
Aug 10
Carol Shores updated their profile
Aug 8
Jorge Chubretovich updated their profile
Aug 3
J&G Marine supply replied to Don Gulliver's discussion AIS recommissioning
"Where on the web is the procedure to reset the mmsi.  Iknow pro ais to program but how do you clear the old mmsi"
Jul 17
Richard Gard liked Tom MacAllister's discussion E80 Issues
Jul 17
Richard Gard liked Miguel Gonzalez del Rey's discussion E120 -E80
Jul 17
Richard Gard replied to Adam Hyde's discussion New C125 won't display NMEA 0183 depth data
"subscribed"
Jul 17

© 2018   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service