Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Porfirio Carias replied to Porfirio Carias's discussion Fuel level and alarm + water level Offshore System & Raymarine
"Any answer?"
41 minutes ago
Porfirio Carias replied to Porfirio Carias's discussion InHull Transducer Reading Problem...
"Any answer ????"
41 minutes ago
Rob Field posted a photo
59 minutes ago
Mike Kaplan posted a discussion

Autopilot still drifts

After changing hardover time to 10 the auto pilot still drifts. Autopilot held good course in auto. Even tried changing hardover time a little bit but no effect. The auto pilot would hold course for a little while then drift off course. At this point when I restarted the track the boat on the P70r would be off the centerline.See More
59 minutes ago
Robert Novak posted a discussion

ST7000 autopilot ram leaking

The hydraulic ram on my ST7000 system is leaking at the shaft.Can you help identify if this 24v system is a type 1 or type 2?  Is there a seal kit available? (photo attached)If not what is the compatible ram that is available now.Regards,Robert (SV Shindig - Oyster 485, Mexico)See More
59 minutes ago
michael warren barton posted a discussion

no audio with e90w and sr100?

Cant get any audio out of sr100 thats been upgraded?Its connected to a e90w?See More
59 minutes ago
Rob Field posted a discussion

Closed Hauled Wind Instrument Calibration

Good MorningI read the FAQ on linearizing the wind sensor by doing two full circles but I have already done that but I changed the orientation of the sensor making my reading out by almost 180 degrees. What do I need to do to get the instrument ready to re-linearize. I have tried the user calibration adjustments but I did not have enough adjustment available.ThanksRobSee More
1 hour ago
Ron Sherman replied to Ron Sherman's discussion Network adapters
"Thank you."
1 hour ago
Karlheinz Schwab posted a discussion

Why no NMEA output?

ST60+ Graphic DisplaySoftware: 4.02Serial#: 8D.FFFFFFThe unit does not transmit nmea data although all setting are correct, unit self test passes ok. Restored unit to factory defaults and activated the output port. Sending data to the unit makes the unit start blinking and locks up. This is the same data using the same cable that is send to the ST6002 autopilot without any issues. The cable is removed from the autopilot and connected to the graphic display. while this data is transmitted, the…See More
1 hour ago
Matt Ales posted a discussion

ST60 wind instrument issue

I have a Raymarine ST60 wind instrument.  Two weekends ago on the way back to the slip, the wind direction seemed to stop working.  This past weekend, it still did not work, pointing to ~0 degrees.  Intermittently, the wind speed also stopped working this past weekend (displayed only "---") but it worked after powering down the instrument and powering it back up.  The vane does rotate and aligns with the windex.  The voltages are:Red to screen - 7.74VBlue to screen ~3.4VGreen to screen 4.85…See More
1 hour ago
Ryan posted a discussion

Need help

Ok so I just got a classic c120 unit. And I have a raystar 120 seatalk antenna. I'm having trouble hooking them up and getting a signal. I'm trying to hook up the antenna through nmea cable which has a white,green,brown,yellow, and bare wire. As for the antenna it had a red,brown,green,yellow, and bare wires. Is this possible to do or not. I have tried a few configurations from reading manuals and forums but none seem to work. Do I have a bad antenna? Also the unit did not come with the 3 wire…See More
1 hour ago
Steve Poseley posted a discussion

Jeppesen c-maps on dragonfly 4 pro

I have a new 4 pro bundled with c-map and I am unable load it on my brand new 4 pro. My software level is 11.41. is my problem with the software level?  The other thing I've noticed is that when I try to download from the micro SD card I get a notice that it has lost the signal. Do I have to move the boat out of the garage to download from the SD?  I tried going to jeppesen 's website to unlock the SD card but apparently map manager doesn't work with windows 8.  Maybe I'm not I don't have the…See More
1 hour ago
Eric posted discussions
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to martin raphael's discussion External sensor error
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Martin, The fault may be rooted in the AIS650's internal GPS receiver circuitry or within the GPS antenna itself.  If 6 minutes or more have elapsed since the AIS650 was powered ON, and should the…"
1 hour ago
martin raphael posted a discussion

External sensor error

Hello - I have an AIS650 unit and am not able to transmit data.  The unit stay in silent mode.  I am getting an error message that there is no external sensor.  I hooked up the unit using ProAIS2 and it shows no GPS fix and no green bars in the satellite tab.  I do see intermittent flashes of blue bars on the screen.  The GPS cable seems to be connected properly to the AIS unit.  Would you say this problem indicates a bad GPS receiver?ThanksSee More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Raymundo's discussion DRAGONFLY Depth/fishfinder NO signal after 100ft
"Raymundo, What model of Dragonfly display is owned and what version of software is installed within the display's memory?"
1 hour ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service