Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Mikie posted a discussion

ST40 not displaying anything... HELP

I have a Raymarine ST40 which is having problems.It powers up but displays nothing while parked at the dock. No wind no direction.When underway it only reports the wind as coming from the rear of the boat and the boat speed even though we’re moving forward. It only reports “T”rue.. wind but refuses to report “A”pparent wind. Can you please advise as what may be the issue and what to fix?? See More
21 minutes ago
Raymon H. Caputo replied to Raymon H. Caputo's discussion RS130 to E120 Classic
"Thanks, but it looks like way too big a project for the rest of the season. I watched a video of the new mfd's and software and was really impressed - but it'll have to wait 'till next spring. For now, I'll just stick with my 8…"
23 minutes ago
John Doub replied to John Doub's discussion project a waypoint from a bearing and distance
"how do I access the graphical ruler function on my e95?"
26 minutes ago
John replied to John's discussion Dragonfly4 pro on a jetski - is there an inhull transducer available?
"Thank you for the warm welcome.  From your answer, I assume that there is not an inhull transducer, such as the Airmar P79, that will work with the Dragongly 4 pro. I'm not experienced with the capabilities, performance or the wiring of…"
29 minutes ago
Daniel Huntsinger replied to Daniel Huntsinger's discussion Autohrelm 1000 plus hot motor melted case
"Okay, I see where this is going. Can you give me a phone number to the parts department, I would like to price the parts I need to fix it myself. I primarily need the moor bracket and motor. Thanks. "
46 minutes ago
Josh Pekar replied to Stephen Smith's discussion DSM30 Ping Disabled
"Thanks Steve, Yes it does seem to be a common issue.  My DSM30 worked perfectly with my old C90W but now that I upgraded to an E95 it is intermittent.  Looks like I'll contact Raymarines local repair shop and see what they are willing…"
49 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Fred Delaney 's discussion ST 60 Wind Instrument dies after being on
"Can you explain quits or goes out?  Does that mean the display is shutting off, there is nothing on the LCD?  You can measure voltage to the display from the Seatalk connection, measure between the Red and Gray, what are you seeing for…"
52 minutes ago
Fred Delaney posted a discussion

ST 60 Wind Instrument dies after being on

I have an ST60 wind instrument and replaced the old vane and cups with a newer one and now it quits after being on for a bit.  Sometimes an hour and sometimes less.  I can restart it by turning off and on and that works about half the time but still goes out.  Any ideas?See More
54 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to john fuschini's discussion st7001
"This will need to be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician for repair. Raymarine Service Center 9 Townsend West Nashua, NH 03063   Include in the box: Name Daytime Phone Return address Brief description of the issue"
56 minutes ago
john fuschini posted a discussion

st7001

I have a st 7001 auto pilot the backlight is out anyone know if I could fix this or does it need to sent outSee More
57 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Ray Trask's discussion Hailer connector for a Raytheon 220
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Ray, If seeking a replacement hailer horn, then the M95435 Hailer Horn would be recommended."
58 minutes ago
Ray Trask posted a discussion

Hailer connector for a Raytheon 220

I have a Raytheon 220 radio and want to attaching a hailer, the part numbers I have are G263129-59k and G623761-7. its a male 4 pin connector and apparently they are no longer available. any suggestions ?See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to MARK M DORSEY's discussion c 80 broken transom mount transducer
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Mark, The C-Series Classic MFDs are not designed to be directly mated to any fishfinder transducers.  Instead, the MFD would be interfaced to a DS250, DSM30, or DSM300 to support use of the MFD's…"
1 hour ago
MARK M DORSEY posted a discussion

c 80 broken transom mount transducer

hit a log running offshore and broke transducer on my c 80 multifunction. will have to pull boat to change but what transducers work with model?See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to David Stoia's discussion B260 E66033 compatibility with CP370?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum David, Transducers which have been designed for use with the DSM250, DSM30, DSM300, and CP300 are compatible with the CP370.  "
1 hour ago
David Stoia posted a discussion

B260 E66033 compatibility with CP370?

I will be upgrading a C120 Classic and DSM250 to a CP370 and E125. My transducer is an 11-year old B260 part #E66033 that was glassed into the hull when the boat was built. If possible I want to avoid the cost of cutting out and replacing the B260 since it still works great and its similar in function to the non-CHIRP B260 made by Airmar today. My B260 cable has a 7-pin connector (not counting the plastic guide pin) that plugs directly into the DSM250. Will this connector work with the CP370?…See More
1 hour ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service