Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Phil Lecato's discussion sounder
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Phil, Please excuse this late response. For the benefit of others viewing this discussion, please note that the mounting blocks for the CPT-110 and CPT-120 transducers is not designed to function as a high…"
5 minutes ago
Michael Edwards replied to Michael Edwards's discussion Light house Sailing with lay lines
"Thanks for thst"
1 hour ago
Pete Anast replied to Joe westbury's discussion E97 MFD fuel management capabilities?
"I am not sure what gateway I have. It is a 2015 cruisers 48 cantius with Volvo ips600 I would have to ask someone more technical than me to find out the gateway. "
1 hour ago
Graham Kastendike posted a discussion

Navionics Plus;; Can you change the size of the depth readouts on the charts so increase the font of the Depth readings

I check with Navionics and they referred me back to you about increasing the size of the font on the chart depth readings. See there responseDear Graham Kastendike, Thank you for contacting Navionics.  Changing the size of the depth soundings would be a function of your plotter. I would recommend contacting Raymarine directly for instructions on changing this setting as we do not have these instructions. Once you have changed this setting it will be reflected on your Navionics charts.  If…See More
1 hour ago
scott dewolf posted a discussion

A78 updated no longer able to access sonar and down vision on a split screen

i recently updated from v8.0 to v14.38 with version 8.0 that was shipped new the sonar and down vision were available at the same time on a split screen. Now with the software updated I can only use one or the other is this normal. It was nice to use both at the same time. I could use the chart plotter on left and sonar split with do vision on right. Why can I no longer do this?
1 hour ago
Roger Murphy posted a discussion

Raymarine RSb2

I recently purchased a 33 ft. Hydra Sport fishing boat which is equipped with the Raymarine GPS, Chart Plotter, Radar and Sonar. I have been reading all the literature but haven't been able to make it find my boat. It indicates "No Data". I would like help on getting started so I can make my home a way point and go from there. The chart doesn't move as I travel to other locations.See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Peter Stogis's discussion Flux gate under water
"Peter, The M81190 fluxgate compass is neither designed nor tested for immersion.  It is quite possible that its performance/life may be adversely affected by its immersion, especially if immersed in salt water.  It is accordingly…"
1 hour ago
Peter Stogis posted a discussion

Flux gate under water

My boat took on water recently and the flux gate was submerged.  Haven't taken the boat out yet due to other repairs.  Can I expect the flux gate to still work?See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Robert Hargraves's discussion can a dms 300 be used with a C97 or e125?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Robert, The DSM30 and DSM300 can indeed be used with the new a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs.  The Network port of the MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch may be interfaced to the DSM30/300's SeaTalkhs port…"
1 hour ago
Les Guillory replied to Les Guillory's discussion Connecting RS130 & AIS650 to E80 Classic
"AHA!!  Now it is all beginning to make sense."
1 hour ago
Robert Hargraves posted a discussion

can a dms 300 be used with a C97 or e125?

can a dms 300 be used with a C97 or e125?See More
1 hour ago
Shawn Madeiros posted a discussion

Ray60 Wx channels

A friend of mine purchased a Ray60 vhf radio and for the life of us we can not figure out how to access the weather channels
1 hour ago
mark mackenzie posted a discussion

Missing way points on RL80C after way point transfer

Our old RL80C finally reached a point where it needs replacing, the unit cycles on and off abnormally but still powers on.  We took the unit to a local distributor and repair shop and had the way points placed onto an SD card so we wouldn't have to transfer them all by hand.  Once we got the unit back we only have roughly 140 of our previous 350 way points left on the RL80C.  On the sd card there are also about 140 way points that loaded onto our new unit.  There are two specific way points…See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to jon texter's discussion Cam200Ip field of view
"Jon, Pan and tilt control is limited to Raymarine and FLIR branded Thermal Imaging Cameras. "
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Les Guillory's discussion Connecting RS130 & AIS650 to E80 Classic
"Les, When operating with the latest E-Series Classic MFD software update, the E-Series Classic MFDs will support being interfaced via SeaTalkng to all currently manufactured products featuring a SeaTalkng interface ... except for an AIS…"
2 hours ago
jean louis denis replied to jean louis denis's discussion Autopilot Raymarine s 1000 with Seastar HH5271 steering?
"Thank you for your answer, I am looking now into the EV 100 Regards"
2 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service