Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Derek Hillen replied to Derek Hillen's discussion Raymarine ST7001+ Autopilot - service?
"That is interesting and good to know it will work, somewhat, on just one drive if and when the other one takes a holiday. Thanks very much. Dhillen"
5 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to S Barnes's discussion 24" HD Raydome - trouble getting good returns on smaller targets
"Great to hear, contact us with any further questions."
34 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Bill Ehlke's discussion HD Digital Radar not starting when system is powered on
"OK, what is the software level of the E Widescreen?"
37 minutes ago
Joe McCormack posted a discussion

Can the dragonfly playback sonar images

Can the latest software version  10.10  for the Dragonfly record and play back the downvision images for review. I have just bought one and am currently downloading the latest software.Thanks in advance.JoeSee More
40 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Joachim Willner's discussion Replacement for R08004
"Noted."
41 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to S Barnes's discussion Updated Software - GPS Raystar 130 gone
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Spence, We have seen some issues with v12.26 when customers restore settings (not waypoints, routes, or track) from an earlier version of a/c/e/gS-Series MFD software.  If you have not already done so,…"
44 minutes ago
Fernando replied to Fernando's discussion Adding nmea2000 and nmea183 to an EV100 autopilot
"Thanks again, Underway! 1) OK... 2) Depth data for sure, as I have two sensors (one connected to de ST60 bidata and one connected to de HDS7). Other possible "doubled" data is what I was willing to check through the MDS menu. I will come…"
51 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to david greene's discussion lighthouse charts and A75
"David, Please be aware that the LightHouse US Raster and US Vector charts only feature cartography for the US portions of the Great Lakes.   The results which you have identified are consistent with the LightHouse US Vector Charts in the…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Casey Stokes's discussion Replacement GPS antenna/receiver
"Casey, Yes, the E80 should remain interfaced via SeaTalkhs to the SR100 and DSM300."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Kurt Breitkreuz's discussion Raymarine a78 mounting bracket part#?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Kurt, The number which you have indicated cannot be used for identifying the part. For the benefit of others viewing this discussion, the parts and accessories for the a/c/e-Series MFDs may be found within…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to david greene's discussion lighthouse sd micro preloaded
"David, Please be aware that the LightHouse US Raster and US Vector charts only feature cartography for the US portions of the Great Lakes.   The results which you have identified are consistent with the LightHouse US Vector Charts in the…"
1 hour ago
Kurt Breitkreuz posted a discussion

Raymarine a78 mounting bracket part#?

Hi folks. I bought a spare mounting bracket for my a78 mfd unit from an ebay seller claiming it fit this model however it is too small. There is a part# stamped on the bottom that reads 1001770-. Would anyone know what this fits? I'm thinking it is for the a68 mfd but I am unsure. Also what is the correct part# for the a78 mfd trunnion mounting bracket? Thanks in advance.See More
1 hour ago
Paul Crosby replied to Joachim Willner's discussion Replacement for R08004
"P/N R08004 was discontinued on 8/8/2012 per Raymarine. Please note that Gemeco Marine Accessories, LLC is Wholesale to the Trade Only and does make retail sales. "
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Brian Domander's discussion Setting up a new system
"Brian, The choice is yours to either solder splice.  The example of a terminal strip was provided only to be clear concerning which wires from each cable should be joined.  From you description it appears that you have understood the…"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Fernando's discussion Adding nmea2000 and nmea183 to an EV100 autopilot
"1. No, the software needs to be updated through a Raymarine MFD. 2. That is a way around the Multiple Data Source blocked by the converter.  The p70 will save the data selection when you re-install the converter, until it is reset.  What…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Lawrence's discussion AIS650 software updates
"Lawrence, The AIS650 may be updated via a PC or via a SD memory card.  Most will update the AIS650 via the SD memory card as it is easier, particularly for those less capable with a PC.  Please see the revised software update procedures…"
1 hour ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service