Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jim P's discussion A-Series A70D Chartplotter Fishfinder - GPS doesn't track
"Noted."
1 minute ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Joe Welna's discussion MFD Networking, multiple questions
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Joe, Q1: I would like to network one E125 and (3) A75's. Will this present any problems? My understanding is that the MFD's share data through Raynet and the switch. A1: This should not present…"
2 minutes ago
Jim P replied to Jim P's discussion A-Series A70D Chartplotter Fishfinder - GPS doesn't track
"Yes, it it configured to OFF."
8 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jim P's discussion A-Series A70D Chartplotter Fishfinder - GPS doesn't track
"Jim, The MFD's GPS Status dialog simply reports the data being received by the MFD.  Please verify that the MFD's Internal GPS has been configured to OFF."
16 minutes ago
NKO, Raymarine, US replied to Warren Young's discussion Can a Raymarine radar cable be shortened?
"Hi Warren,  Raymarine does not recommend cutting and splicing radar cables as this will void the warranty on the radar cable. Therefore I cannot recommend that you do this.  That being said, Raymarine recognizes that it is done in the…"
17 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to dave's discussion Wrong Calender Date
"Bill, I will need confirmation of the device list and software versions via the command sequence provided within the prior response.  As we have been unable to duplicate the problem, I suspect that it may be caused by one of third party devices…"
19 minutes ago
NKO, Raymarine, US replied to Joe Shabbott's discussion Broken coaxial pin on 4kw open array radar
"Hello Joe,  The new part number number for the Coaxial Tube Assembly is: R58165 Unfortunately, Raymarine policy prohibits Technical Support from addressing product/parts availability and pricing questions.  Raymarine, Inc. does not have…"
25 minutes ago
bill bales posted a discussion

ST6002 s3 or x30 interfaced to Latham Steering

Looking for drawing or info on interfacing 6002 to Latham steering......thxSee More
28 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Greg Baynton's discussion E Series Screen Refresh
"Greg, It wouldn't hurt to perform a Factory Reset operation on each MFD."
28 minutes ago
NKO, Raymarine, US replied to Bill Hennigh's discussion RD418D Radar Scanner interface to C127
"Your'e welcome."
29 minutes ago
NKO, Raymarine, US replied to Neil curtis's discussion Radar bearings growling and sometimes won't start spinning
"Hi Neil,  What you have is a Pathfinder Series Vintage 4kw Analog open array (M92654-S). Raymarine no longer sells Analog radars. If the issue is with the gear box assembly, the Raymarine Part Number is: R58050  If the issue is with the…"
36 minutes ago
Profile IconFrederick C. Meyer, Marc Curreri, robert arnot and 15 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
39 minutes ago
Joe Welna posted a discussion

MFD Networking, multiple questions

I would like to network one E125 and (3) A75's. Will this present any problems? My understanding is that the MFD's share data through Raynet and the switch.Is data that is supplied to the master MFD via Seatalk NG replicated to other MFD's by Raynet, or would it be wise to connect all MFDs to Seatalk NG as well?Can I display different functions on diffferent MFD's, or are they all repeaters of master?I understand A series and E Series support wifi natively. Will tablet connect to any MFD on the…See More
41 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Sven Salzmann's discussion A50D chartplotter - Navionics+ or Gold 3XG charts?
"Sven, Given that you have updated the MFD's software to v1.24, it is recommended that you: verify that your MFD's memory card reader is operational by attempting to export waypoints, routes, or tracks to a compatible CF memory card or…"
46 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Bo Boddum's discussion Connecting new E7 to my existing E85001 setup
"Bo, Q1: So, with the E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit and the right cables, I would be able to connect it all? A1: Yes. Q2: Do you know where I can see this visualised in a diagram or something, just to better understand…"
54 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Isaac Burge's discussion C80 navionics gold xg chip
"James, The critical point of my prior response that you must update your MFD with the latest C-Series Classic MFD software before using it with currently available Navionics cartography."
57 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service