Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 515

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Allen Timmons replied to Allen Timmons's discussion Problem with getting GPS to an uniden VFH from an a78 MFD
"Thanks for all of your help and support in this matter. I used a digital multi-meter and got the voltage change from the converter as you stated. So there fore it's a problem with the VHF. You have been very helpful and patient with me on this…"
56 minutes ago
Shawn Berkel replied to Shawn Berkel's discussion Radar target video show up for several sweeps and disappears for 20 sweeps and then reappears again for a couple sweeps.
"Ok, this is the results of the debug. "
4 hours ago
jeff bradford replied to jeff bradford's discussion e127 with a dsm300
"question. I'm looking at the b164 tilted 1k, what kind of performance will I get on the 600 watt side in the e127 if I find that my dsm300 is also faulty from the storm damage. also what is the difference between the dsm300 and…"
5 hours ago
Ronald Kazmier replied to Ronald Kazmier's discussion AWS and TWS not working
"Here are the results: Red to shield: 7.9 volts steady Blue to shield: 2.4 fluctuating after the decimal Green to shield: 2.3 fluctuating after decimal Yellow to shield: 3.2 fluctuating after decimal "
9 hours ago
Mark Rutherford replied to Mark Rutherford's discussion i70 in setup cannot find transducers
"I have successfully upgraded the i70s to V2-18. When I use the i70 to look for transducers it now finds the ITC5 but that is all. The system diagram is attached to the first message of this thread. I want to calibrate the compass. Any tips about how…"
13 hours ago
Dh Jackson replied to Dh Jackson's discussion GPSMAP 740 to T122 wiring
"Alrighty, I connected the NMEA OUT (+) port on the T122 to the 740 Data In port and, like magic, all expected functions (check the attachment for the wiring diagram/installed hardware/functions) worked as expected. Only problem is that about 30…"
15 hours ago
Dan eversole replied to Dan eversole's discussion ev 1 installation
"Hi I'm still not clear about the Hard over time.  you said to measure the time it takes to move the rudder from port to starboard.  The pamphlet talks about pressing +10 and +1 at the same time and measure the time it takes to reach…"
19 hours ago
Ken Kalke replied to Ken Kalke's discussion Manual Drive with assisted hydraulic steiring
"OK Thank You! "
19 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Allen Timmons's discussion Problem with getting GPS to an uniden VFH from an a78 MFD
"Allen, Should you have interfaced the equipment correctly and verified that the MFD is receiving a GPS position FIX, then there is either a fault with the NMEA 0183/GPS input port of the VHF radio or the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.  The…"
20 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to mike collins's discussion Connecting e9 to E70153 triple instrument pack
"Mike, Submit the request to Raymarine's Warranty Manager (warranty@raymarine.com)."
20 hours ago
mike collins replied to mike collins's discussion Connecting e9 to E70153 triple instrument pack
"Thank you.  I figured it was something reasonably simple. Second question;  How does one become a Raymarine Certified Installer?  I am associated and work with a dealer already. "
20 hours ago
Profile IconJohn LeDoux, Kenneth S Tanaka, Randall Remmel and 22 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
20 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Rick Cummings's discussion What comes in the RayMic kit?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Rick, The Raymic for the Ray60 and Ray70 VHF Radios are packaged with a mounting clip and holster.  The Raymic is additionally packaged with a bulkhead jack w/cap.  The Raymic's coiled cord…"
20 hours ago
Jim Ambrosio replied to Jim Ambrosio's discussion Auto pilot not engaging
"Boooooooooo Thanks for your help"
20 hours ago
Cats posted a discussion

wind instrument not showing speed, direction

St50 wind instruments worked fine, had a windy night, and stopped showing direction and speed. Just says 0.0anemonentor is still spinning.Any ideas on trobleshooting appreciated.See More
20 hours ago
Dave Yacono posted a discussion

sidescan in shallow water

I just launched my boat and got to use the cp200 sidescan for a short ride.the water I was in was anywhere from five to fifteen feet.how far out will the sidescan go in this depth?I just need to get some more time in with this system but the wind in NY has been nuts for the last week so boat rides have been put off. thanksSee More
20 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service