Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dave Lockhart's discussion Lighthouse charts
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Dave, Deletion of the files stored stored on a microSD memory card, followed by replacement of these files with current LightHouse Chart files should have no impact upon the base chart maps within the MFD.…"
12 minutes ago
Richard Hamilton replied to Richard Hamilton's discussion Race master with only 2 degrees instead of 360?
"On it's way, thank you"
25 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Richard Hamilton's discussion Race master with only 2 degrees instead of 360?
"Unfortunately, the compass is within the unit, so with this kind of operation, I would have to recommend that the unit be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician for repair. Raymarine Service Center 9 Townsend West Nashua,…"
29 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to David Gerhardt's discussion Scanner Not Responding
"Let us know the outcome."
32 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Bajabum's discussion A80229 Radar Cable Bad?
"There is no Ohms test for the digital radar cables, other than checking continuity, end to end. We don't sell Raynet connector separately.  You can cut and splice the cable, cutting out the damaged area. "
39 minutes ago
Richard Hamilton replied to Richard Hamilton's discussion Race master with only 2 degrees instead of 360?
"Precisely, it only changes number as above after turning through 180.  There are no other changes in heading.  Thanks "
46 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Derick Sindell's discussion RL70C - Scanner not responding
"What is the radar the RL70 is connected? Open Array or Radome?  Have you checked connections within the radar?  The not tested, points toward communication to the radar."
1 hour ago
Mark posted a discussion

Dragonfly 7

Is the Dragonfly 7 compatible with the CP200 side scan?
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to sailorcanuck's discussion adding e95 MFD to existing Pathfinder equipment
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Sailorcanuck, Unfortunately the SeaTalk and SeaTalkng communications protocols do not support communication of high bandwidth graphical data (ex. radar, cartography, fishfinder, SiriusXM weather, IP…"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Richard Hamilton's discussion Race master with only 2 degrees instead of 360?
"To understand fully, if you spin the vessel, the compass is not follow the changes in heading? "
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Paul Thornton's discussion spx 30 wont calibrate, values to close
"Values too Close is pointing toward the rudder reference transducer.  In Standby, are you seeing the rudder bar on the screen?  When you move the wheel to Starboard and Port what are you getting for deflection in each direction?"
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Richard Emerson's discussion A70 & C80 share chart data?
"You're welcome."
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Robert heller's discussion help setting up rl70c pathfinder
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Robert, It is recommended that you compare the cost putting this system featuring a RL7C together from the standpoint of cost, features, and ability to service the equipment to that associated with current…"
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Brian blair's discussion radome adaptable or not
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian, Analog radar scanners (ex. RD218, RD424, 2D, 4d, 5S, 7S, 9S, and 11S) which are compatible with C-Series Classic MFDs, E-Series Classic MFDs (E80, E120), and hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar…"
2 hours ago
Brian blair posted a discussion

radome adaptable or not

I have a rl70c and I'm looking to upgrade to a c97. Will they adapt or do I need to get a new dome? It's a 24" 4kw dome
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Anthony Baker's discussion Route Upload to C95 Chartplotter
"Markus, You can indeed transfer waypoints and routes.  You need simply export the waypoints and routes from OpenCPN to a GPX file(s).  The GPX file(s) would in turn be saved onto a commonly available microSD memory card.  After…"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service