Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Alan martin replied to Alan martin's discussion Waypoint transfer
"how is this copy from one card to another achieved , Please bear with me as I am a boat captian, and not a computor expert. "
23 minutes ago
"ok now this simple process is how ?   "
25 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to chuck hantis's discussion GPS signal from A 50 to L1250
"Chuck, The A50 supports Raymarine's SeaTalkng communications protocol, while the L1250 supports the an older communications technology (SeaTalk).  However, these products may be adapted for use with one another by using a SeaTalk to…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Alan martin's discussion Waypoint transfer
"Alan, The archive.fsh file produced by your C-Series Classic MFD should be accepted by any of the following currently manufactured products (simply copy the archive.fsh file from the CF memory card to a microSD memory card): a/c/e/gS-Series…"
1 hour ago
chuck hantis replied to chuck hantis's discussion GPS signal from A 50 to L1250
"I just changed over to your E127, I had E120 that failed and had to pick up another for my anolog Radar..so I'm using both...I was using the L1250 as back up to my E120. Now since I don't need it a friend of mine has just the A50 with…"
3 hours ago
"Thanks, there is a possibility that I will have both machine at the same time ( if my boat don't sell first.)  and simplify the process.. It may be that I buy a A series MFD to replace the RL80C and I think the A series with accept my CF…"
4 hours ago
Profile Icondenny cobb, Bruce N Hawthorne, Craig Davis and 3 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
5 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Paul Loewe's discussion Voyage Planner
"Paul, Voyage Planner software may be purchased through through the Voyage Exchange web site.  Upon completion of the purchase of the Voyage Planner software, the Voyage Exchange web site will e-mail a license key to you."
5 hours ago
Paul Loewe posted a discussion

Voyage Planner

I just downloaded voyage planner. However to activate it is asking for a  serial # to activate. Where do i get this serial # from? Do I use the one on my MFD?See More
5 hours ago
Randy Graver posted a discussion

pairing mfd with tablet

Recent purchase A78 MFD and trying to use the Remote apps on tablet.I have the app Ray Control and according to manual I must turn on wi-fi in settings and turn on Mobile apps in settings.I have lighthouse 2 version 11 and my settings have a wi fi heading that allows you to turn bluetooth on but nowhere in the unit is a heading to turn on Mobile App.I can pair my iphone to the mfd but when I try to open the app on my phone it says "make sure mobile apps is turned on in your mfd's settings"…See More
5 hours ago
Stephen Goldman posted a discussion

installing a type Linear drive for a Catalina 30

I have looked at the installation manual for the Type 1 linear drive. I was wondering how I go about getting specific instructions on how to install the unit on a 1986 Catalina 30Steve Goldman1986 Catalina 30 TRBSSee More
5 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to chuck hantis's discussion GPS signal from A 50 to L1250
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Chuck, Please list of the other marine electronics devices which are presently interfaced to either the L1250 or A50"
5 hours ago
chuck hantis posted a discussion

GPS signal from A 50 to L1250

Just curious if I can take the GPS signal from Raymarine A 50 and send it to Pathfinder L 1250.Thanks You,Chuck HantisSee More
5 hours ago
paul posted a discussion

i70 factory reset

Hi,I'm told that a factory reset to the P70 resets the whole evolution autopilot (user preferences and calibration), is this also true of the i70 and wind, speed, temperature transducers (iTC-5, smart transducer, etc.)Thanks,Paul See More
5 hours ago
skip duzik posted a discussion

compatablity

i have a raymarine 770 with dsm 30. i was wondering if raymarine part # 41-240-1-01 transducer is compatible(this is an airmar 26 i believe) thanksSee More
5 hours ago
Tman600 posted a discussion

ST1000+ Tillerpilot

I have used this before with no problems. Now when I plug it in I get No screen info and a constant tone sound.
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service