Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Mike Deto replied to Mike Deto's discussion cp200
"I am all signed up when they are released.. Is the transducer supposed to be mounted like a traditional transom mount??Or should it be mounted deeper so it is underwater?How fast can you travel while using it?thank you,Capt. Mike"
1 hour ago
Barron Hoff replied to Barron Hoff's discussion Evolution 200 sea trial calibrations issues
"I purchased the evolution-200 package. Type 1 pump. Rudder feedback. EV-1. Control and computer. I don't have a connection to the chart plotter because it's NMEA 0183. I would like to mainly use it for trolling. Around 2 knots. I've…"
1 hour ago
Mick Laver replied to Mick Laver's discussion E97 "Heading not Available" errors
"Yikes. It doesn't seem any of the ST50 instruments (speed, wind, depth) are providing or receiving heading info. My autopilot (a 4000+) was added later, so presumably its Seatalk doesn't suffer the same issues. Also, this only started…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Austin Williams's discussion C97 Stops displaying depth
"Austin, Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a transducer to perform the test.  However, the P58 has a street price of approx. $90 and would likely be less costly than having a technician perform this test onboard your boat.  "
1 hour ago
neil henderson replied to neil henderson's discussion C80 ED7 and down vision
"thank you for your reply well i just have to use the C80 as a stand alone GPS ,i would like to know if there is a GPS antenna that i could use for both the E7D and C80 ? i also did not mention i do have a digital radar that came with my E7D kit ,on…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jonathan Tong's discussion C80 dsm250 shallow water
"Jonathan, The 200 kHz frequency will typically support sounding in depths up to 180'.  When referring to shallow, I am typically addressing operation in depths less than 30'.  "
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Clarkey's discussion Refresh rate Fluxgate Compass
"Is there any difference of the heading data between the p70 and the ST70?"
2 hours ago
Shozo Yoshihara replied to Shozo Yoshihara's discussion Resuming route
"Would "E12091" be it?"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Richard Prazak's discussion iTC5 i70 speed calibration
"I have enclosed the masthead test, the speed calibration should be covered with the maximum calibration factor.  This will determine if the issue is with the masthead transducer or the display. Masthead Test: To perform the check, you will need…"
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to neil henderson's discussion C80 ED7 and down vision
"Neil, Unfortunately, C-Series Classic MFDs (C70, C80, C120) may not be interfaced to a SeaTalkhs/RayNet/Ethernet network which also features a new a/c/e/gS-Series MFD.  While it is possible to interface these MFDs to a common SeaTalkng…"
2 hours ago
Steven Rupinski replied to Steven Rupinski's discussion s1000
"Yes I have voltage there"
2 hours ago
Skip Gundlach replied to Skip Gundlach's discussion c120 screen and GPS location
"OK - thanks for the link.  I'll send it along.  What information do I need to include with it? Thanks. L8R Skip"
2 hours ago
Jim B replied to Jim B's discussion ST70 Contral Head and DST800V Depth
"I sorry - I  miss-spoke before.   This time a brought a flashlight to the boat and it is wired the way you suggest.  Each component has its own 'T' and each component is wired with a White/Black spur wire to…"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Steven Rupinski's discussion s1000
"You should be checking between Orange+ and Blue-, it is a single direction positive and negative feed.  Are you seeing voltage there?"
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Don R's discussion Route activation request for future software updates (e Series MFD)
"You're welcome."
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Tim Doyle's discussion SR100 power cable
"You're welcome."
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service