Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Danny Higgins replied to Tim Nesterak's discussion Navionics SonarChart Live
"I'm trying to turn on the Sonarchart Live on my e7D.  When I get to the section where the sonar log is located everything is grayed out.  I have the latest version of the Raymarine software and Navionics Platinum+; what am I doing…"
4 hours ago
Gary Gershon replied to Michael Quiriconi's discussion Autopilot Smartcontroller Battery Replacement
"I had success in replacing the battery. Here's a few notes: My unit was completely dead. Didn't hold any charge. Battery pack via Defender arrived overnight by standard UPS in my area. Battery pack has two joined cells with three wires…"
8 hours ago
Justin Brown replied to Justin Brown's discussion Help me understand the correct networking for STng & NMEA 2k sensors
"Which LMF gauge did you purchase?"
9 hours ago
Chris Manero replied to Justin Brown's discussion Help me understand the correct networking for STng & NMEA 2k sensors
"Thank you Justin. Read that thread and same conclusion that need the Lowrance gauge to setup the way I want to. Bought one off of EBay for $155 and arrives Thursday. Disappointed as I too checked with Lowrance and Raymarine before purchasing and…"
yesterday
German Delfino updated their profile
yesterday
Justin Brown replied to Justin Brown's discussion Help me understand the correct networking for STng & NMEA 2k sensors
"Nope, still at a standstill..basically they are saying I will need to purchase another meter from lowrance to put them on different bus's to separate the data. Check this thread here for more…"
Monday
Chris replied to Gordon Long's discussion ST70 auto pilot - won't disengage & "drive motor not on"
"I've also had two problems that sound very similar. I have an X30 Smartpilot computer and type 3 linear hydraulic ram drive with an st70 control head at helm and nav stand below, and C series widescreen multifunction displays at helm and nav…"
Monday
Chris Manero replied to Justin Brown's discussion Help me understand the correct networking for STng & NMEA 2k sensors
"I purchased the sensors and will be installing them. Were you able to find out more info from Lowramce?"
Sunday
Peter Boll replied to Daniel Lowery's discussion RayTechRNS 6.2 software
Aug 17
Captain Rick Sorrenti replied to Brad Young's discussion Ray 240 VHF.......how to obtain a new cord?
"If you read the Raymarine Moderator's comment. The cable is available directly from Raymarine. You could call...."
Aug 15
David J. Mahler replied to Brad Young's discussion Ray 240 VHF.......how to obtain a new cord?
"I am having the exact same problem with both my ray240 handset cables.   where can I get a new cable?"
Aug 15
David J. Mahler replied to Kim Dingwall's discussion Ray260 VHF
"Hi, by any chance, do you know how to change the settings on the 240 to make the volume louder on the external speaker?  Mine has worked fine for 2 years, and just last week, while someone was aboard messing with my ray 240, now, the ext volume…"
Aug 15
robert charles updated their profile
Aug 15
Jim Brown replied to anthony mat's discussion Dragonfly fish alarm volume
"I have a Dragonfly 5 and having the same problem. I like the Alarm to go off when there are fish under the boat, but the alarm is so loud and annoying it drives everyone in the boat crazy. I cannot figure out how to tun it down."
Aug 14
John W Graham and Franci Separovic are now friends
Aug 14
William G Thomson liked Danny Engle's discussion DSM 300 "DSM Connection Lost"
Aug 12

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service