Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconTony vW, Robert Bell, GREG Olsen and 7 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
4 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Barry Shapiro's discussion ECI100 compatible with J1939 engine data?
"Barry, The latest information concerning which engines are supported by the ECI-100 may be found on its ECI-100 Engine Connnectivity web page and ECI-100 Software Update web page.  As of the date of this response, support was…"
9 minutes ago
Barry Shapiro replied to Barry Shapiro's discussion ECI100 compatible with J1939 engine data?
"Any progress foreseen in adding the Cummins to the ECI ? "
45 minutes ago
Georges R Paquette replied to Georges R Paquette's discussion Smart Controller with SeaTalk 1-SeaTalk Ng and NMEA2000
"The SeaTalk Ng to NMEA 2000 is a SeaTalk Ng cable that was cut and connected to a Maretron Connector. A SeaTalk Ng blue- black cable was used for this."
11 hours ago
Dave Copeland replied to Dave Copeland's discussion S100 Remote Problem
"Thanks, you were correct.  I could not find anywhere in the manual where this was explained as a feature that you don't get when set to Fishing boat.  Out of curiosity what is the design reason that this does not work when set to…"
15 hours ago
Ken Tait replied to Ken Tait's discussion Smartpilot Type S1
"Just to finish up the discussion:  The problem was water intrusion into the Type 1 Linear Drive, causing corrosion on the electrical contacts.  Likely from the joint of the plastic cover to the metal housing and also where the wires go…"
22 hours ago
Rob Sekerak updated their profile
23 hours ago
Profile Iconwes malone, TakingTime, Cyrus Scott and 19 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
yesterday
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jim thomoson's discussion Dragonfly Pro
"You're welcome."
yesterday
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Rod Coleman's discussion C90W power button
"You're welcome."
yesterday
Clay N Viemeister replied to Rod Coleman's discussion C90W power button
"Thank you. Will do."
yesterday
Jim thomoson replied to Jim thomoson's discussion Dragonfly Pro
"I understand, thanks for your patience and for such prompt and thorough advice."
yesterday
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Bill Fear's discussion Dragonfly latest software question
"You're welcome."
yesterday
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Rod Coleman's discussion C90W power button
"Clay, The MFD's POWER button is not in any way part of the MFD's design to prevent water intrusion.  With regard to the MFD's Power Button, it is recommended that Raymarine Product Support (603.324.7900) be contacted to determine…"
yesterday
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jim thomoson's discussion Dragonfly Pro
"Jim, Should the entire system go down, then the a-Series MFD and Dragonfly, then the MFD would still be the better choice as it has superior chartplotting features, including support for routes ... which Dragonfly does not.  In the end, it…"
yesterday
Jim thomoson replied to Jim thomoson's discussion Dragonfly Pro
"Ok thank you. And in a situation where the entire system fails and I need to resort to a backup gps / chart plotter, what are pros and cons of dragonfly vs a series other than dragonfly being half the price? Thanks"
yesterday

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service