Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 1157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Jeff Helmling updated their profile
Feb 18
Tony updated their profile
Feb 17
Michael Wilson updated their profile
Feb 14
David Jovanovic replied to John Gilchrist's discussion I 60 wind instrument troubleshooting
Feb 13
David Jovanovic replied to John Gilchrist's discussion I 60 wind instrument troubleshooting
"Some foto"
Feb 13
Tom Jelsing replied to Ken Peckham's discussion Classic C-80 and Digital RADAR compatibility question
"I have a complete Raymarine installation in my HR34 from 2004. To be able to receive AIS on the screen, I want to replace my current RL70CRC+ with a C80 plotter. My Pathfinder has model number M92650 (without -S) and serial number 1230747 (ie from…"
Feb 12
Tom Jelsing updated their profile
Feb 9
Andrew Addison left a comment for Bill Balaban
"jaa@bjss.com"
Feb 6
Andrew Addison left a comment for Bill Balaban
"That would be great. All I'm after is a wiring diagram for the control box if that would be easier to send"
Feb 6
Jeff Gardiner updated their profile
Feb 6
Greg gegner replied to Capt Stewbling's discussion Seatalk 1 to NMEA 2000
"Will my C90W be able to control 0183 autopilot?"
Feb 4
Andrew Mylander updated their profile
Jan 14
Randy Martin updated their profile
Jan 9
Marc Macot updated their profile
Jan 9
John T. Cox replied to Andre Chenier's discussion ST6002 vs ST6000+
"I have the inverse situation.  I have a ST6002 with an S2G course computer,  and I found an ST5000+ head unit in the back room that I'd like to use for a second station by connecting via seatalk.   Is that possible?   Thanks…"
Jan 6
Richard H Wheeler liked jeff hesse's discussion S1000 autopilot
Dec 3, 2016

© 2017   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service