Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 1024

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Reply to Discussion

• Add Videos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

No Name updated their profile
4 hours ago
Joe Shabbott liked Moderator - Raymarine, US's discussion Interfacing a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor to an E-Series Widescreen MFD (E90W, E120W, E140W)
Michael replied to Moderator - Raymarine, US's discussion SeaTalkng Communications Protocol
"Hi, these are good docs on the phys network, but there doesn't appear to be any protocol info in these docs. is there any doc on the sentences? Or is STNG the same sentences as NMEA2000 sentences?  thx"
Richard Anderson updated their profile
Oct 3
Mark noe updated their profile
Sep 12
Phil Niles updated their profile
Sep 12
Kenneth Bryce left a comment for Kenneth Bryce
"Hi I have 2 /C97 units. I am purchasing a Quantum raydar. At present my two c97 are linked via one cable, raynet.My depth transducer is conected to unit A. I would like to be able to use both A and B units independently .With the Wifi on Qantam ,…"
Sep 7
roger goodman updated their profile
Sep 5
W. Cary Letien updated their profile
Aug 30
Keith Davis updated their profile
Aug 30
William G Thomson updated their profile
Aug 29
German Delfino updated their profile
Aug 23
robert charles updated their profile
Aug 15
John W Graham and Franci Separovic are now friends
Aug 14
William G Thomson liked Danny Engle's discussion DSM 300 "DSM Connection Lost"
Aug 12
David Vacanti left a comment for Sean E Anderson
"I had major problems with losing DSM 300 depth data on my E120 Classic display. I finally gave up on the system and have converted to the new CP370 Depth Sounder that is an all new design. The new unit is rock solid and has excellent performance.…"
Aug 10

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service