Hello, I have a autohelm 50 radar unit on my 1992 Catalina 36 which is mounted on the mast about 3 feet above the spreader. It seems to read OK at long distances but not so good at close range. Should I move it below the spreader or put a shim under it to pan lower?  (what abouts the old holes?) I have the mast off the boat for the winter, so now is the time to do it. I just bought the boat and sailed it from Lake Michigan to Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) last summer.     Any input helpful, thank you, Dave

Views: 353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have to choose in what range you want to optimize the radar. If above 6 miles range, keep it where it is in the mast, if you are more interested in the area below 3 miles, move it to a stern pole and put in a cradle. I have mine at the stern on my SO37, and works like a wonder in the closest range. Even used it for anchoring at night in crowded anchorages to get exact distances to other boats. However above 6 miles, not that good. When tracking squalls and bad weather at max range it is excellent. Do a rough calculation with beam-with, mounting height, and you may see how far from the boat the beam 'hits' the water. But as you mentioned, you may correct it by putting a wedge under the antenna and direct it down. Even mast rake may come into play.

Hello Dave,

I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer up on the AH ST50 Plus radar system as it has been discontinued and de-supported many years ago. I did come across a manual that I have posted to this thread. 

Thx, to Morton for offering up his valuable insight.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Underway - Raymarine, US replied to James Tardiff's discussion X-5R Problem
"What is displayed on the control head in the system?  Does the unit stay in AUTO when it stops?"
19 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Juan José Estrada's discussion AUTOPILOT ST 8001. Drive unit
"The image is a Tiller Drive, part Q047."
26 minutes ago
Profile IconKenneth Kahn, Ret Talbot, Brendan and 21 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
33 minutes ago
James Tardiff posted discussions
45 minutes ago
Jerry Fedele posted a discussion

New DragonFly 5.7 sonar screen refresh

Hi,I just recently installed the brand new unit. I must say I'm impressed with the down vision capability so far. My question is related to both down vision and sonar view. No matter whether it's in auto range or manual whenever the screen adjusts the depth the bottom portion of the screen has blank squares. Apparently the screen isn't being refreshed completely. I have seen some other folks screen shots on the web with the same issue.I will try and capture it and image of what I'm referring…See More
45 minutes ago
Charles Bussey posted a discussion

EV 100 to Northstar 6000i

Has anyone been able to connect a EV 100 to a Northstar 6000i chart plotter (NMEA 0183) thru an Actisense NGW-1 Gateway ?? If so what sentences did you have to input in the 6000i ? Also have you updated the software of the Ray EV100 and if so how did you do it ?? ie. download from a pc to a compact flash card and put in the 6000i card reader and upload ? or what Ray componet needs to go to a dealer for this process ?Thanks in advance  CharlesSee More
46 minutes ago
Ivan Chu posted a discussion

DSM30 needs to restart many times during fishing

I am constantly getting the "No Data Source" when using the depth sounder.  I then turn the unit off and on and then get the depth again only to loose it a short time later.  I think the longest I had the depth indicating is maybe 60 minutes and most of the time it's only showing 10-20 minutes at best.  It is interfaced with the C90 MFD.Frustrated Fishing Guide.See More
46 minutes ago
steve krug posted a discussion

acu-200 lost rudder reference

Hi, I have a 9 month old auto pilot  system that had been working great. When I power it up up the display shows 'no drive detected' when i try to engage it. While the display shows the ACU-200 is  in the system (linked by seatalk), the rudder reference does not show up on the display when the helm is moved. I did the test on the rudder reference and the ohms  were in specs.When I tried to do the Dockside calibration of the rudder, it keeps telling me the  'task failed, inconsistent values' Any…See More
47 minutes ago
Giang Hoang posted a discussion

Auto routing - does not take into account navigation markers

The new v11.26 has auto routing, but it seems to only use minimal depth in the calculations. is there a way to have it navigate around navigation markers?  (e7 and e7d)btw, Raymarine software updates are making the e7 series much much better. thanks!See More
47 minutes ago
Jeff Church posted a discussion

E70196

I need to get NMEA info from my E95 to a VHF radio and a WiFi router. Also need to send NMEA back to E95 from an AIS receiver. Will the E70196 do any of that through the backbone or do I have to run wires to the NMEA ports on the E95? Can you provide a link to the instructions for the E70196? Thanks.
47 minutes ago
Dan posted a discussion

ST6000 plus

Hi,I have a ST6000 + autopilot and my question is can the unit operate as a standalone unit, i.e. - not connected to an MFD or gps. I rarely use it, and it appears is not compatible with the replacement MFD I am installing in the boat.ThanksDanSee More
48 minutes ago
Richard Tomlinson posted a discussion

new a series - can it network via wifi?

Hello,I have an E7D at the chart table of my sailing boat. I would like to mount a small repeater at the helm, such as the a7.Unfortunately there is no more room to pass a Seatalk HS cable up the aluminium tubes of the helm station, so I cannot connect the two instruments by cable.However, since they are both wifi-equipped, can they connect via wifi? I use my ipad as a repeater in this way, so surely this is possible? Unfortunately I can't find clarification of this in the user manuals.See More
48 minutes ago
Dirk Husselman posted a discussion

A65 broken glass screen

Today I broke the glass screen on my A65. The display still shows all the data correctly but has a "spiderweb" overlay...Is it easy to replace the glass or do I need to ship the unit in for repair?Thanks,See More
48 minutes ago
Bill Fiegener posted a discussion

C80 Compatibility

Hi, is the C80 compatible with the latest instruments?  Specifically, I50 and I60?  If not, which ones are?thanksbillSee More
49 minutes ago
Mike Deto posted a discussion

11.26 software

Hello,We have a C125 and C95 with a DSM 300,Radar and Evolution auto pilot also a M260.A couple of months ago we updated from 9.40 to 10.34.After trying the 10.34 I found that the range and shift on the sounder was quite different than the 9.40.Here in the gulf we are only looking at the last 10 ft.I switched back to the 9.40 and was happy.When the 11.26 came out I installed it.Same results.The range and shift does not work nearly as well.I again put the 9.40 back in?I have a CP200 on order...I…See More
49 minutes ago
Hartley Gardner posted discussions
49 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service