I have a SPX-5 on a Catalina 30.  I also have a 2000plus and it works great.  I have not been able to get the SP-5 to work yet.  I recently replaced the Fluxgate compass with a new one and checked the resistance. as suggested and it passed the test.  The unit works on wind and at an angle but it is erratic. There are two problems.  The system will not calibrate.  I was able to change the heading angle but now the unit does not read the compass output.  The st2000plus gives me a good reading on standby.  The SPX-5 gives only one angle, from 317 to 342 Deg.  all the way around.  I don't know if this unit is under warrantee.  I purchased it on Ebay and have not yet gotten it to work.  I need your help.  Thanks

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If your test confirmed a "good" compass, then I would recommend you focus on the location of the fluxgate compass.  Make sure it is mounted on a vertical surface and there isn't any ferrous metal or electronic equipment within 3 feet of the location.

I tried several locations.  One location was at the helm where the ST2000 works perfectly.  I tried turning the boat again this morning on standby.  The readings where only in  the high 300's and the low single digits.  I am trying new locations.  Does this test failure indicate a problem with the compass or the computer?

Well the compass test really measures good wire connections within the compass, and if those are good, then the issue is usually with the course computer.  One other test that might be helpful, where you already have tried many locations.  Take the compass off the mounted location and just holding it in your hand away from everything and oriented like it is mounted on a vertical surface, rotate the compass with your hand and see if you can see the 360 degrees of the compass rose, make sure you rotate slowly like it was amounted on a bulkhead location.  

Hi,  I rotated the compass in my hand as you stated.  I also did this with the ST2000.  The ST2000 Calibrated and displayed a good 360 degree range.  I did this to the SP-5 in the same location.  The SP-5 compass does not calibrate or display a good 360 Degree range.  It displays degrees only in the 310-360 and lower single digit range.  I presently have it located in the V-birth against the bulkhead and will try the middle of the v-birth.  There should be no interference there.  Additionally, I thought the gyro on the SPX-5 did not allow one to test the compass by rotating it.

Hi,  Looks like the compass location was the problem as you stated.  I sailed from Vineyard Haven to Block Island today.  I did not even set up the SPX-5 to use it.  I set up my trusty ST2000.  Problem is the ST2000 can't do the job that needed to be done today, so I got the SPX-5 and used it on Wind and it handled the boat beautifully.  Yes, it searches allot but this is the big plus with the SPX-5.  The response can be set high which is what's needed for a sailboat with a racing/fin keel.  Tried lower responses and it did not work.  Was able to micro sail to the apparent wind to 1 deg.  Don't need my whisker pole any more.  Anyway,  when I got to Block, I put the boat into a turn and it displayed a full 360 degree circle.  I think it will calibrate now.  I had just placed the compass in back of the cushion against the bulkhead.  Would there be any problem with location it under the v-birth at the top back of the compartment?  The compass is sealed so the moisture should not effect it.  Thanks for your help.

Hi,  I tried to calibrate the SPX-5 but it did not calibrate even thought the compass displayed what appeared to be a consistent 360 degree output on standby.  Another problem developed.  The shear pin on the motor to drive on the tiller actuator went.  Can I get a replacement shear pins from Raymarine.

Hi,  Took the electric piston for the spx-5 apart.  Looks to me like the shear pin was not installed all the way in because only one surface was sheared.  It would have sheared in two cross sections if it was installed all the way in.  The pin looks like a standard spring loaded shear pin that I can get at a hardware store.  Please confirm. 

Hi,  I wanted to find out how much it would cost to fix my SPX-5 computer.  I am the second owner even though the unit had never been installed so I thing the unit is out of warrantee..  I also wanted to know how long the warrantee for repaired items is for.  The repair schedule says the cost of repairing the SPX-5 computer is $350.  I just paid over $200 for a fluxgate compass that am not sure works.  I feel it is probably better for me to cut my losses and return the compass to West Marine for a refund and not get the computer fixed.  Just give up on it! 

The warranty on the X5 is two years from date of purchase.  The warranty on service work is 90 days.  It is hard to give a cost for a repair without seeing the X5 course computer so the $350 cost is the worst case scenario.  I would recommend sending the X5 into the service center, so it can be evaluated by a service technician.

Raymarine Service Center

9 Townsend West

Nashua, NH 03063

Include in the box:

Daytime Phone

Return address

Brief description of the issue

Reply to Discussion

• Add Videos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Tim Hennessey replied to Tim Hennessey's discussion Use of e7 MFD with i50 & i60 instruments
"Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I do have a couple more questions. I did reference your attachment for the properly terminated system and do notice the the wind sensor is connected to a "pod" then to the spur. What is the…"
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Gary Rubin's discussion NO FIX with accurate boat position; Case #6248
"Gary, Q1. The RS112 is connected via a 3 wire cable (red, yel, shld) which is convoluted throughout pretty inaccessible areas in the boat.  For this installation, can this wire be spliced into the cable from the RS130?  A1. No.  The…"
5 hours ago
Gary Rubin replied to Gary Rubin's discussion NO FIX with accurate boat position; Case #6248
5 hours ago
Profile IconSeasoned Boater, SHeldon Haynie, Russ Frost and 5 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
5 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Gary Rubin's discussion NO FIX with accurate boat position; Case #6248
"Gary, Q1.  presume I leave the RL70 and RL80 powered as they are now, remove 12vdc power (red wire) from the seatalk cable, and supply 12vdc to the Seatalkng Converter via the new cable.  Is this correct? A1. Correct. Q2. The…"
5 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to goodwood marine's discussion airmar H2183 as heading and ROT to AIS950
"Dennis, The Airmar H2183 is not designed to transmit the HDT sentence by default.  You must ensure that Airmar's Weathercaster software has been used to configure the HDT sentence to be transmitted.  If so, upon receiving the fully…"
5 hours ago
goodwood marine replied to goodwood marine's discussion airmar H2183 as heading and ROT to AIS950
"thanks for the reply im using a rs125 as input to the h2183 for $RMC but am still not getting $HCHDT output from the unit.the GPS has Fix and looking at the data is showing $GPRMC. i have taken it off the vessal and am trying to run it in the…"
6 hours ago
Gary Rubin replied to Gary Rubin's discussion NO FIX with accurate boat position; Case #6248
"Your logic makes sense.   Referring to the drawing of my system linked above, the RL70 and RL80 are powered from the electrical panel and connected via an HSB bus, and the B&G autopilot (B&G Network PLT) is driven from the RL80 NMEA…"
6 hours ago
"Gary, I provided a link within my initial response to discussion addressing how the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor would be interfaced to a system such as yours.  A limitation of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter is that it does not bridge the…"
7 hours ago
Ace-Raymarine,US replied to Wilfredo MArtinez's discussion DirecTv 60 STV
"Glad to hear it worked, Cheers,"
8 hours ago
"If I opt for the Seatalk ng with a RS130 using the Retro kit, will it be compatable with a current model chart plotter system when the Pathfinder system finally dies?  Or do the newer systems have the GPS receiver in the plotter, making the…"
9 hours ago
bob robinson posted a discussion

autopilot problems on sea talk

I have a E series chart plotters and a networked system with sea talk.  Whenever I power the auto pilot the gps information drops out and the controllers for the autopilot read sea talk failure.  If I depower the pilot everything comes back to normal   My local service tech removed the computer and left it on his bench for about a week before looking at it and said it all worked fine   reinstalled it on the boat and all was well  for about 2 days then the problem was back.   Any thoughts or…See More
9 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Tim Hennessey's discussion Use of e7 MFD with i50 & i60 instruments
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Tim, The i50 and i60 Instruments are designed to be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone.  Similarly, the system's Data Master a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD may be…"
9 hours ago
Tim Hennessey posted a discussion

Use of e7 MFD with i50 & i60 instruments

I'm sure my question has been asks already, however I do see anything when doing a search of this subject.I currently have the i50 speed and depth instruments, along with the i60 wind. I would like to know if the data from these instruments can be used or displayed by the e7 MFD. I am looking at purchasing the e7 MFD, but need to know if the other instruments on board will work with this MFD?Thank you,Tim HennesseySee More
9 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Tony's discussion C 120 issues
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Tony, It is recommended that the C-Series Classic MFD's (C70, C80, C120) power cable be unplugged and that the loaded system voltage be measured to ensure that it is within the operating range of the MFD…"
9 hours ago
Tony posted a discussion

C 120 issues

Hello thereNew to siteHave a c 120 multi task unit after powering on it shut off every minute and comeback onThe voltage fluctuate up and done on the unit any help ?See More
9 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service