I have a SPX-5 on a Catalina 30.  I also have a 2000plus and it works great.  I have not been able to get the SP-5 to work yet.  I recently replaced the Fluxgate compass with a new one and checked the resistance. as suggested and it passed the test.  The unit works on wind and at an angle but it is erratic. There are two problems.  The system will not calibrate.  I was able to change the heading angle but now the unit does not read the compass output.  The st2000plus gives me a good reading on standby.  The SPX-5 gives only one angle, from 317 to 342 Deg.  all the way around.  I don't know if this unit is under warrantee.  I purchased it on Ebay and have not yet gotten it to work.  I need your help.  Thanks

Tags: Compass, SPX-5, problems

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If your test confirmed a "good" compass, then I would recommend you focus on the location of the fluxgate compass.  Make sure it is mounted on a vertical surface and there isn't any ferrous metal or electronic equipment within 3 feet of the location.

I tried several locations.  One location was at the helm where the ST2000 works perfectly.  I tried turning the boat again this morning on standby.  The readings where only in  the high 300's and the low single digits.  I am trying new locations.  Does this test failure indicate a problem with the compass or the computer?

Well the compass test really measures good wire connections within the compass, and if those are good, then the issue is usually with the course computer.  One other test that might be helpful, where you already have tried many locations.  Take the compass off the mounted location and just holding it in your hand away from everything and oriented like it is mounted on a vertical surface, rotate the compass with your hand and see if you can see the 360 degrees of the compass rose, make sure you rotate slowly like it was amounted on a bulkhead location.  

Hi,  I rotated the compass in my hand as you stated.  I also did this with the ST2000.  The ST2000 Calibrated and displayed a good 360 degree range.  I did this to the SP-5 in the same location.  The SP-5 compass does not calibrate or display a good 360 Degree range.  It displays degrees only in the 310-360 and lower single digit range.  I presently have it located in the V-birth against the bulkhead and will try the middle of the v-birth.  There should be no interference there.  Additionally, I thought the gyro on the SPX-5 did not allow one to test the compass by rotating it.

Hi,  Looks like the compass location was the problem as you stated.  I sailed from Vineyard Haven to Block Island today.  I did not even set up the SPX-5 to use it.  I set up my trusty ST2000.  Problem is the ST2000 can't do the job that needed to be done today, so I got the SPX-5 and used it on Wind and it handled the boat beautifully.  Yes, it searches allot but this is the big plus with the SPX-5.  The response can be set high which is what's needed for a sailboat with a racing/fin keel.  Tried lower responses and it did not work.  Was able to micro sail to the apparent wind to 1 deg.  Don't need my whisker pole any more.  Anyway,  when I got to Block, I put the boat into a turn and it displayed a full 360 degree circle.  I think it will calibrate now.  I had just placed the compass in back of the cushion against the bulkhead.  Would there be any problem with location it under the v-birth at the top back of the compartment?  The compass is sealed so the moisture should not effect it.  Thanks for your help.

Hi,  I tried to calibrate the SPX-5 but it did not calibrate even thought the compass displayed what appeared to be a consistent 360 degree output on standby.  Another problem developed.  The shear pin on the motor to drive on the tiller actuator went.  Can I get a replacement shear pins from Raymarine.

Hi,  Took the electric piston for the spx-5 apart.  Looks to me like the shear pin was not installed all the way in because only one surface was sheared.  It would have sheared in two cross sections if it was installed all the way in.  The pin looks like a standard spring loaded shear pin that I can get at a hardware store.  Please confirm. 

Hi,  I wanted to find out how much it would cost to fix my SPX-5 computer.  I am the second owner even though the unit had never been installed so I thing the unit is out of warrantee..  I also wanted to know how long the warrantee for repaired items is for.  The repair schedule says the cost of repairing the SPX-5 computer is $350.  I just paid over $200 for a fluxgate compass that am not sure works.  I feel it is probably better for me to cut my losses and return the compass to West Marine for a refund and not get the computer fixed.  Just give up on it! 

The warranty on the X5 is two years from date of purchase.  The warranty on service work is 90 days.  It is hard to give a cost for a repair without seeing the X5 course computer so the $350 cost is the worst case scenario.  I would recommend sending the X5 into the service center, so it can be evaluated by a service technician.

Raymarine Service Center

9 Townsend West

Nashua, NH 03063

Include in the box:

Name

Daytime Phone

Return address

Brief description of the issue

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Jim replied to Jim's discussion Spx5 moved from usa to australia. Getting erratic behaviour.
"Me back again. Coming out of winter storage and will be trying yet again to see if get some stability. One question. Reading the dealer install guides (page 31) I notice that the rudder angle display should not be visible if no steering angle sensor…"
2 hours ago
Paul Loewe replied to Paul Loewe's discussion Converting GPX or CSV files to Archive.fsh
"Thank you, I was able to convert and then import, however when I  imported the waypoints the waypoint marker symbol assigned to the new waypoints is not the symbol that I want. Is there a way to edit the symbols rather then doing it manually…"
6 hours ago
Brett Densmore replied to Brett Densmore's discussion Software updates
"Underway, not having any luck on someone to update my software. Can I send it directly to raymarine for this? If so what components do I need to send and where. I am in the Dallas area."
7 hours ago
paul replied to paul's discussion Evolution Autopilot update to latest software versions - preservation of defaults and calibration?
"Many thanks, I had not realised that resetting the P70 reset the other components. Is this also true of the i70, i.e will this reset the itc5 and other transducers in the Seatalk=ng system? The documentation is not at all clear on this. Thanks, Paul"
11 hours ago
paul replied to paul's discussion i70 graphical displays V2.18
"Many thanks, I look forward to their response. Paul "
11 hours ago
Grant Watson shared their photo on Facebook
12 hours ago
Karl S replied to Karl S's discussion Patfinder Radar (1998) picture shifting/rotating clockwise??
"Hi, Thank you again for the quick return. Can you give me more details regarding a compatible radome to go with the old display (RL70RC)? The model that is defective is part # M92650 (Ser#AM926501280203) Would a 2D18" 2kW part # M92650-S be…"
12 hours ago
Frank left a comment for Underway - Raymarine, US
"I'm receiving a Dragon Fly for Christmas, it was purchased from Amazon as a package which include the Navionics Gold card. I contacted Navionics as I had another Gold card that was three years old and wonder if there would be a significant…"
12 hours ago
Mark Domney replied to Mark Domney's discussion ITC5 and depth transducer compatibilty
"Hi The sticker on the transducer cable rads as follows E66013 31-168-9-01 Rev 02 05102 The trasducer was connected via a y cable to the sleep/temp transducer and this cable plugged directly into the Hsb2 series fishfinder. The Hsb2 fishfinder is a…"
13 hours ago
Darren Bates replied to Jon's discussion Navionics freshest data subscription has expired pop-up box
"Thanks for the reply Moderator, I must admit I am a little concerned too, please see a copy of email sent to me from Navionics below. I will be keen to hear what you find out. ----------------------- Mr Darren, we're writing in reference to the…"
13 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jon's discussion Navionics freshest data subscription has expired pop-up box
"Darren, We do not generally recommend deletion of any files from a Navionics chart card other than a file titled chartcat.xml ... and that is to correct problems associated with the Navionics cartography not being able to be viewed because of…"
13 hours ago
Darren Bates replied to Jon's discussion Navionics freshest data subscription has expired pop-up box
"Okay I have in touch with Navionics, "via emails", they have advised me to delete the .xml file on my card, they suggest it should fix the problem, they assure me it will not affect anything else and in fact will write a new file when…"
14 hours ago
Profile IconJesse White, Tommy Dean Howell, John McCorquodale and 4 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
14 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to paul's discussion i70 graphical displays V2.18
"Understood.  I have a notice into the Product Management group for their interpretation, if they were going for showing a visual of how the data is changing, or an issue with the software with not providing numerical data on the vertical axis."
15 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Mark Stanley's discussion ST60 Speed/temp transducer
"It is not recommended, but is done in the industry.  Make sure of a clean splice, the temperature data is depending on Ohm resistance readings which could be affected by a bad splice."
16 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Mark Domney's discussion ITC5 and depth transducer compatibilty
"Do you have the Raymarine part number of the P319 transducer?  It is found on a weatherproof sticker usually placed about a 18 inches from the transducer.  It should give the Airmar part number and the Raymarine part number, this will…"
16 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service