I have a SPX-5 on a Catalina 30.  I also have a 2000plus and it works great.  I have not been able to get the SP-5 to work yet.  I recently replaced the Fluxgate compass with a new one and checked the resistance. as suggested and it passed the test.  The unit works on wind and at an angle but it is erratic. There are two problems.  The system will not calibrate.  I was able to change the heading angle but now the unit does not read the compass output.  The st2000plus gives me a good reading on standby.  The SPX-5 gives only one angle, from 317 to 342 Deg.  all the way around.  I don't know if this unit is under warrantee.  I purchased it on Ebay and have not yet gotten it to work.  I need your help.  Thanks

Tags: Compass, SPX-5, problems

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If your test confirmed a "good" compass, then I would recommend you focus on the location of the fluxgate compass.  Make sure it is mounted on a vertical surface and there isn't any ferrous metal or electronic equipment within 3 feet of the location.

I tried several locations.  One location was at the helm where the ST2000 works perfectly.  I tried turning the boat again this morning on standby.  The readings where only in  the high 300's and the low single digits.  I am trying new locations.  Does this test failure indicate a problem with the compass or the computer?

Well the compass test really measures good wire connections within the compass, and if those are good, then the issue is usually with the course computer.  One other test that might be helpful, where you already have tried many locations.  Take the compass off the mounted location and just holding it in your hand away from everything and oriented like it is mounted on a vertical surface, rotate the compass with your hand and see if you can see the 360 degrees of the compass rose, make sure you rotate slowly like it was amounted on a bulkhead location.  

Hi,  I rotated the compass in my hand as you stated.  I also did this with the ST2000.  The ST2000 Calibrated and displayed a good 360 degree range.  I did this to the SP-5 in the same location.  The SP-5 compass does not calibrate or display a good 360 Degree range.  It displays degrees only in the 310-360 and lower single digit range.  I presently have it located in the V-birth against the bulkhead and will try the middle of the v-birth.  There should be no interference there.  Additionally, I thought the gyro on the SPX-5 did not allow one to test the compass by rotating it.

Hi,  Looks like the compass location was the problem as you stated.  I sailed from Vineyard Haven to Block Island today.  I did not even set up the SPX-5 to use it.  I set up my trusty ST2000.  Problem is the ST2000 can't do the job that needed to be done today, so I got the SPX-5 and used it on Wind and it handled the boat beautifully.  Yes, it searches allot but this is the big plus with the SPX-5.  The response can be set high which is what's needed for a sailboat with a racing/fin keel.  Tried lower responses and it did not work.  Was able to micro sail to the apparent wind to 1 deg.  Don't need my whisker pole any more.  Anyway,  when I got to Block, I put the boat into a turn and it displayed a full 360 degree circle.  I think it will calibrate now.  I had just placed the compass in back of the cushion against the bulkhead.  Would there be any problem with location it under the v-birth at the top back of the compartment?  The compass is sealed so the moisture should not effect it.  Thanks for your help.

Hi,  I tried to calibrate the SPX-5 but it did not calibrate even thought the compass displayed what appeared to be a consistent 360 degree output on standby.  Another problem developed.  The shear pin on the motor to drive on the tiller actuator went.  Can I get a replacement shear pins from Raymarine.

Hi,  Took the electric piston for the spx-5 apart.  Looks to me like the shear pin was not installed all the way in because only one surface was sheared.  It would have sheared in two cross sections if it was installed all the way in.  The pin looks like a standard spring loaded shear pin that I can get at a hardware store.  Please confirm. 

Hi,  I wanted to find out how much it would cost to fix my SPX-5 computer.  I am the second owner even though the unit had never been installed so I thing the unit is out of warrantee..  I also wanted to know how long the warrantee for repaired items is for.  The repair schedule says the cost of repairing the SPX-5 computer is $350.  I just paid over $200 for a fluxgate compass that am not sure works.  I feel it is probably better for me to cut my losses and return the compass to West Marine for a refund and not get the computer fixed.  Just give up on it! 

The warranty on the X5 is two years from date of purchase.  The warranty on service work is 90 days.  It is hard to give a cost for a repair without seeing the X5 course computer so the $350 cost is the worst case scenario.  I would recommend sending the X5 into the service center, so it can be evaluated by a service technician.

Raymarine Service Center

9 Townsend West

Nashua, NH 03063

Include in the box:

Name

Daytime Phone

Return address

Brief description of the issue

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Jim Melton's discussion SPx30 turns hard a-port with new e125 & e95 MFDs
"So if you press AUTO on the p70 control head the autopilot goes hardover to port?  Try switching the motor A/B wires on the X-30 course computer."
7 minutes ago
randy garrison replied to randy garrison's discussion a70d track presentation
"Thanks. I can delete my current track, no problem, but my screen is still cluttered with all my previous tracks. It looks like a very badly done spiders web! :) Then, I follow your instructions, reply #1, and none of those tracks are shown on the…"
9 minutes ago
Profile IconMark konz, Joe Toohey, silver and 5 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
9 minutes ago
krutov replied to krutov's discussion question about networking an a75 to an a68
"thank you!"
16 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to randy garrison's discussion a70d track presentation
"Randy, Then you need to stop and then delete the current track."
19 minutes ago
Jim Melton posted a discussion

SPx30 turns hard a-port with new e125 & e95 MFDs

Until recently, my sailboat's instruments included an E120, E80, and SPx30, among other things (e.g., ST70s, AIS650, radome). Everything worked very well. Very recently, I replaced the MFDs with e125 and e95, respectively. Now, every time I activate the autopilot (from MFD or ST70p) the autopilot immediately turns hard to port and the linear Type 2 actuator continues running, trying to turn even farther to port.All of my software is at the latest version, except that the MFDs are at v10.34…See More
22 minutes ago
randy garrison replied to randy garrison's discussion a70d track presentation
"Thanks, but I have tried that but the only editable track is my current track. In other words, the population of tracks in step2, above only has my current track. Can we keep looking for a resolution? Thx, Randy"
22 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Doug Ames's discussion Replacing Pathfinder RL70C
"Yes, you want to connect using only the Yellow and Screen wires, leave the Red off, to not back feed power on the Seatalk, and allow the Seatalk bus to be powered by the converter."
23 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jean Gauthier's discussion SR50 SiriusXM interface
"Jean, Unless there was a version label affixed to the box, there would be no way of identifying what version of software was installed within the SR50 via its serial number and production date."
38 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Justin Page's discussion LIFETAGS false alarms
"Justin, As may well be aware, the LifeTag system is dependent upon the base station receiving heartbeat signals from the registered tags.  Interrupted communications between any one of the tags and the base station, failure of any one of the…"
41 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Scott Kreutzberg's discussion C120 Classic - Engine Data
"You're welcome."
49 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jose Gomez's discussion Databar changes Permanent
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Jose, Changes to the Databar of the a/c/e/gS-Series MFDs should be persistent (i.e. not changing between ON/OFF cycles of the MFD).  However, should you perform a factory reset operation as part of a…"
54 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Richard's discussion C127 heading from old ST sensor via bridge
"Richard, The i70 cannot be used to perform fine alignment of the EV-1 as can the p70/p70R autopilot control heads.  However, alignment may be accomplished via simple rotation of the EV-1 Sensor Core following its initial automatic compensation.…"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Cyril Silberman's discussion ST-60 rudder sender
"What are you using to convert the Seatalk data to NMEA 0183?"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Andrew Ostrowski's discussion ST60 speed problems
"I have enclosed the test to confirm if the speed transducer is working properly, from there it would be internal in the ST60 instrument display where it would need to be evaluated by a service technician for repair. Testing the Speed…"
1 hour ago
Jose Gomez posted a discussion

Databar changes Permanent

Hello there, how can I make permanent edition on the databar in a e7d?Every time I turn the e7d on, I have to edit the data bar with my preferences. Is it posible to make my preferences permanent. Thank youSee More
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service