RS130 installation: need to extend the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable

I recently installed the RS130 and the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable is too short. Can the cable be cut and spliced? I need at least 12 more feet. I would rather have an extension cable with one male and one female end but couldn't find one on the Raymarine web site. I am running the spur cable to the E22158 Seatalk1 to SeaTalkng converter.

Thanks

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cutting / splicing SeaTalkNG cables is discouraged. One possibility is plug the existing RS130 spur in to an in-line terminator (A80001) , then 5 meter backbone cable (A06036) to a blue receptacle on your E22158 SeaTalkNG 1 to SeaTalkNG converter.

The SeaTalkng cable supplied with the RS130 is white and the instructions say to plug into a white receptacle on the converter. Will your suggested solution give me the same results?

Yes. On the " in- line terminator" you will see one white & one blue receptacle. Plug the white spur cable in to the white receptacle. Plug the blue backbone cable in to the blue receptacle. On the SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalkNG converter remove 1 of the blue terminator plugs and install the blue backbone cable in it's place.

Hello Ed,

Mike is 100% correct. Thank you for your clear and concise explanation.

You cannot extend the spur cable length (the max length for a spur is 6 meters). So in this case you would extend the backbone to the end of the RS130's spur cable and utilize the in-line terminator.

Please see Page 23 of the attached RS130 GPS Receiver Installation Guide.

3.3 SeaTalkng connection overview —

long cable runs

Use the optional SeaTalkng inline terminator to connect the GPS

receiver’s spur cable directly to the extreme end of the SeaTalkng

backbone using the inline terminator. This removes the need for a

T-piece connector and a separate terminator, making it easier to

achieve a long cable run.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Mark Domney replied to Mark Domney's discussion ITC5 and depth transducer compatibilty
"Hi The sticker on the transducer cable rads as follows E66013 31-168-9-01 Rev 02 05102 The trasducer was connected via a y cable to the sleep/temp transducer and this cable plugged directly into the Hsb2 series fishfinder. The Hsb2 fishfinder is a…"
21 minutes ago
Darren Bates replied to Jon's discussion Navionics freshest data subscription has expired pop-up box
"Thanks for the reply Moderator, I must admit I am a little concerned too, please see a copy of email sent to me from Navionics below. I will be keen to hear what you find out. ----------------------- Mr Darren, we're writing in reference to the…"
28 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jon's discussion Navionics freshest data subscription has expired pop-up box
"Darren, We do not generally recommend deletion of any files from a Navionics chart card other than a file titled chartcat.xml ... and that is to correct problems associated with the Navionics cartography not being able to be viewed because of…"
44 minutes ago
Darren Bates replied to Jon's discussion Navionics freshest data subscription has expired pop-up box
"Okay I have in touch with Navionics, "via emails", they have advised me to delete the .xml file on my card, they suggest it should fix the problem, they assure me it will not affect anything else and in fact will write a new file when…"
1 hour ago
Profile IconJesse White, Tommy Dean Howell, John McCorquodale and 4 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to paul's discussion i70 graphical displays V2.18
"Understood.  I have a notice into the Product Management group for their interpretation, if they were going for showing a visual of how the data is changing, or an issue with the software with not providing numerical data on the vertical axis."
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Mark Stanley's discussion ST60 Speed/temp transducer
"It is not recommended, but is done in the industry.  Make sure of a clean splice, the temperature data is depending on Ohm resistance readings which could be affected by a bad splice."
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Mark Domney's discussion ITC5 and depth transducer compatibilty
"Do you have the Raymarine part number of the P319 transducer?  It is found on a weatherproof sticker usually placed about a 18 inches from the transducer.  It should give the Airmar part number and the Raymarine part number, this will…"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to David H A Black's discussion Overwhelmed by the Raymarine options!
"First let's start with the existing equipment, what is the make and model number?  This will confirm if you are able to use the existing transducers."
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to luis oliver's discussion p70 what can it do
"The p70 is able to repeat Depth and though data, but it can not be used as a Depth display it will not connect to a transducer.  Thei70 instrument display is the multifunction instrument display and you would connect the transducer into the…"
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Mathieu Neron's discussion ST6001 display difference
"No difference, the ones that have the logo, were packages with the Smart Pilot generation autopilot system.   Yes, the ST6001+ is compatible with the S2 course computer. Yes, adding an external Smart Heading Sensor to the S2 course computer…"
4 hours ago
luis oliver posted a discussion

p70 what can it do

hi i wanted to know if i had a p70 control head would i be able to use it to see my depth and if so which depth transducer can i useSee More
5 hours ago
Mark Domney posted a discussion

ITC5 and depth transducer compatibilty

I have an HSB2 series fishfinder/depth sounder with a P319 50/200khz transducer. The fishfinder has lost functionality apart from acting as a depth gateway to my seatalk network.In the process of upgrading to a seatalk ng network I would like to add an ITC5. Is my P319 transducer compatible with the ITC5?Many thanks MarkSee More
5 hours ago
Mark Stanley replied to Mark Stanley's discussion ST60 Speed/temp transducer
"I have an E25025 transducer replacement; however, the run to get it from the cockpit to the thru hull is proving very difficult.  Can I splice and solder the wires and use the old cable with my new E25025 transducer?"
5 hours ago
David H A Black posted a discussion

Overwhelmed by the Raymarine options!

HI all . I have along history with Raymarine .. 13 years of cruising around the world in a Bristol 41 with ST60 and  Chart Plotter, Autohelm. I have  now downsized to a C&C 29, for sailing on the local lake.  It has elderly instruments, knot meter, depth meter. I want to update them as economically as possible. And also make it easy to install in the holes left by the 2  old , circular displays beside the companionway.I want to replace the Depth and Speed  ( preferably  using the existing…See More
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Harry Kamberis's discussion raymarine voyage planner
"Harry, It is recommended that the VoyageExchange support be contacted for further assistance with the reported issue.  Voyage Planner customers may use support@voyagexchange.com for Voyage Planner / Voyage Xchange web site issues...that's…"
6 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service