RS130 installation: need to extend the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable

I recently installed the RS130 and the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable is too short. Can the cable be cut and spliced? I need at least 12 more feet. I would rather have an extension cable with one male and one female end but couldn't find one on the Raymarine web site. I am running the spur cable to the E22158 Seatalk1 to SeaTalkng converter.

Thanks

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cutting / splicing SeaTalkNG cables is discouraged. One possibility is plug the existing RS130 spur in to an in-line terminator (A80001) , then 5 meter backbone cable (A06036) to a blue receptacle on your E22158 SeaTalkNG 1 to SeaTalkNG converter.

The SeaTalkng cable supplied with the RS130 is white and the instructions say to plug into a white receptacle on the converter. Will your suggested solution give me the same results?

Yes. On the " in- line terminator" you will see one white & one blue receptacle. Plug the white spur cable in to the white receptacle. Plug the blue backbone cable in to the blue receptacle. On the SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalkNG converter remove 1 of the blue terminator plugs and install the blue backbone cable in it's place.

Hello Ed,

Mike is 100% correct. Thank you for your clear and concise explanation.

You cannot extend the spur cable length (the max length for a spur is 6 meters). So in this case you would extend the backbone to the end of the RS130's spur cable and utilize the in-line terminator.

Please see Page 23 of the attached RS130 GPS Receiver Installation Guide.

3.3 SeaTalkng connection overview —

long cable runs

Use the optional SeaTalkng inline terminator to connect the GPS

receiver’s spur cable directly to the extreme end of the SeaTalkng

backbone using the inline terminator. This removes the need for a

T-piece connector and a separate terminator, making it easier to

achieve a long cable run.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Jim Melton replied to Jim Melton's discussion SPx30 turns hard a-port with new e125 & e95 MFDs
"It's after 17:00, so you guys have gone home, but I thought I'd let you know that reversing the motor wires (as you suggested) and recommissioning did the trick. All better now, at least until I do a sea trial. Thanks!"
12 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jim Booth's discussion VHF Radio
"Unfortunately, replacement microphones for the Ray215 are no longer available and the Ray215 is not compatible with any microphones other than the R49015 (supplied with the Ray215) and the optional E46019 Ray215 Full Function Handset (part of the…"
20 minutes ago
Larry Hites replied to Larry Hites's discussion ST40 instruments are not showing up on my C70 classic MFD
"I'm sorry I mean't the seatalk2 connection, the one with the round, white spur end. (Like the one connected to the SR50 module). No i'm not seeing data but i do see the box and the underlines waiting for the data. "
30 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Kevin Kriegel's discussion MMSI
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Kevin, BoatUS MMSI numbers are coded for recreational vessels cruising in U.S. waters only not otherwise required to be licensed; the registrations are downloaded into the U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue…"
34 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Joe Toohey's discussion i60 Wind System
"Raymarine does not recommend splicing the masthead cable, but understand it is done in the applications you are describing.  So Raymarine doesn't recommend a connector but I would suggest you contact your favorite marine dealer and they…"
38 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Larry Hites's discussion ST40 instruments are not showing up on my C70 classic MFD
"No, because the C70 display does not have Seatalk NG interface.  Are you seeing heading in the new data box?  "
42 minutes ago
Jim Melton replied to Jim Melton's discussion SPx30 turns hard a-port with new e125 & e95 MFDs
"OK, motor wires back to reversed so no hardover. I have a rudder reference sensor that is mounted upside down."
42 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Miguel Silva's discussion Screen replacement
"The ST6001 control head and the E80 do have screen replacements still done at the Service Center.  You will need to contact the Repair Department at 800.539.5539 or 603.324.7900 for a quoted price on that service.  The flat rate…"
48 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Jim Melton's discussion SPx30 turns hard a-port with new e125 & e95 MFDs
"Hmmm... the motor wires don't effect the port and starboard movement, so switch the motor leads back to where it doesn't go hardover.  Next thought, do you have a rudder reference sensor connected?  Is it mounted rightside up or…"
55 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Porfirio Carias's discussion Autopilot for a Mercury Optimax 250 (Year 2011)
"You are on the right path, you will need the Gateway to decipher the Mercury data to NMEA2000 data.   From there you will need to build a Seatalk NG /NMEA 2000 backbone, you won't be able to plug to the e7 direct, the gateway will need to…"
1 hour ago
"OK, I reversed the motor connections. The AP didn't turn hard to stbd but had left and right reversed. That is, when I set a course to stbd, the AP turned to port and vv. I put the motor wires back and AP turns hard to port."
1 hour ago
Bill replied to Bill's discussion Dragonfly transducer CPT-60 vs CPT-70 vs CPT-80
"Thank you."
1 hour ago
Justin Page replied to Justin Page's discussion Temporarily stopping AIS & Radar alarms
"I am not at sea at present, however I know the alarm is for the radar not the AIS. We often use the AIS alarm, we have not used the radar alarm prior to this trip."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to randy garrison's discussion a70d track presentation
"Noted."
1 hour ago
"I'll try that right away, but why would it reverse merely because I changed MFDs? And isn't the most likely result turning hard a-starboard?"
1 hour ago
randy garrison replied to randy garrison's discussion a70d track presentation
"Right on! I am heading to the boat right now and will effort this. Again, thank you very much. "
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service