RS130 installation: need to extend the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable

I recently installed the RS130 and the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable is too short. Can the cable be cut and spliced? I need at least 12 more feet. I would rather have an extension cable with one male and one female end but couldn't find one on the Raymarine web site. I am running the spur cable to the E22158 Seatalk1 to SeaTalkng converter.

Thanks

Views: 431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cutting / splicing SeaTalkNG cables is discouraged. One possibility is plug the existing RS130 spur in to an in-line terminator (A80001) , then 5 meter backbone cable (A06036) to a blue receptacle on your E22158 SeaTalkNG 1 to SeaTalkNG converter.

The SeaTalkng cable supplied with the RS130 is white and the instructions say to plug into a white receptacle on the converter. Will your suggested solution give me the same results?

Yes. On the " in- line terminator" you will see one white & one blue receptacle. Plug the white spur cable in to the white receptacle. Plug the blue backbone cable in to the blue receptacle. On the SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalkNG converter remove 1 of the blue terminator plugs and install the blue backbone cable in it's place.

Hello Ed,

Mike is 100% correct. Thank you for your clear and concise explanation.

You cannot extend the spur cable length (the max length for a spur is 6 meters). So in this case you would extend the backbone to the end of the RS130's spur cable and utilize the in-line terminator.

Please see Page 23 of the attached RS130 GPS Receiver Installation Guide.

3.3 SeaTalkng connection overview —

long cable runs

Use the optional SeaTalkng inline terminator to connect the GPS

receiver’s spur cable directly to the extreme end of the SeaTalkng

backbone using the inline terminator. This removes the need for a

T-piece connector and a separate terminator, making it easier to

achieve a long cable run.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Ron Orr replied to Ron Orr's discussion Replacement or used Raymarine ST600R autopilot remote
"Yes. I ordered the SmartController. Thanks."
4 hours ago
Troy Saharic commented on Troy Saharic's photo
Thumbnail

Salmon on herring bait ball

"Raymarine CP450 fish finder, Airmar B264LH Thu-Hull Transducer and e165 Display. I am some where in Puget Sound likely Point-No-Point or outside of Kingston"
5 hours ago
Toby Rundall replied to Toby Rundall's discussion Evo 400 new install - hard lock issue.
"Thanks, I switched the polarity back to the original setting and you were correct.  However now the issue is there is a rapid left right push pull going on with only about 1 inch travel or so happening that is very disconcerting.  Its not…"
6 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert commented on Troy Saharic's photo
Thumbnail

Salmon on herring bait ball

"What fishfinder and where were you at?"
7 hours ago
Dave Yacono replied to Dave Yacono's discussion sidescan in shallow water
"thanks "
7 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to Ramon Venegas's discussion Replacement for a RL70C Plus
"If you can't find a RL70C to replace your failed one, I will have a RL80CRC available in 4-6 weeks.  It is fully functional on my boat -- well it was working fine when i put the boat away for the winter last October.  I have had it…"
7 hours ago
Dh Jackson replied to Dh Jackson's discussion GPSMAP 740 to T122 wiring
"The wiring diagram, with 4/24/2015 date at the bottom, is the latest iteration. It includes the VHF which was not shown on the original diagram and tidies up the wiring layout for legibility. I think I tried a connection between the 740 GND and…"
9 hours ago
Mike Allen replied to Mike Allen's discussion Dragonfly 7 Waypoint view on chart
" I'm disappointed that this unit does not have this feature, as the areas I fish have tons of waypoints and I can't tell them apart by looking at the chart.  My Dragonfly is brand new.  Could I exchange if for an ax8?"
9 hours ago
Allen Timmons replied to Allen Timmons's discussion Problem with getting GPS to an uniden VFH from an a78 MFD
"Thank you once again for all of your help resolving this matter. I'll take a look at the VHF's that you mentioned. Is there a way to get another brand VHF to send data to the MDF? Thanks Allen"
9 hours ago
Tim Droney replied to Tim Droney's discussion e7D Reboots!
"Here is the data you asked for. I did a factory reset and re-installed the 13.37 update. The install had errors, but was able to resolve them. I'm attaching a screen shot. The chartplotter still has a spontaneous re-boot, either after waiting…"
9 hours ago
henry tully replied to henry tully's discussion Confusion over Time Tide Schedule on E7 Display
"Ok, I think I understand. I will have a technician set up the external gps sensor hook up its wires to the master MFD at the nav  station.  Henry Tully"
11 hours ago
John Kee replied to John Kee's discussion ST70 Head with Type 300 course computer
"Thanks, Underway.  Would I also be able to use an ST70+ Power Pilot Keypad to control the system?   Thanks, John"
11 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to henry tully's discussion Confusion over Time Tide Schedule on E7 Display
"Henry, If using the MFD's internal GPS sensor, then it is recommended that the MFD be afforded an unobstructed view of the skies overhead.  Otherwise, it may be necessary to interface the system to an external GPS sensor which has…"
11 hours ago
Jason Larkin replied to Jason Larkin's discussion e97 mfd won't recognize a58 transducer
"Okay, so I received the new transducer today.   I connected it to the MFD and still nothing.  So I'm guessing it has to be the MFD.  Please let me know what I do from here."
11 hours ago
Ronald Kazmier replied to Ronald Kazmier's discussion AWS and TWS not working
"We have (3) i70 displays; and they all read the same "0 " wind speed. It seems unlikely that they all would be bad, wouldn't it? What about the ITC5 or wiring? "
12 hours ago
thomas morgan replied to thomas morgan's discussion st 5000+ auto pilot
"It was the rudder sensor. I replaced it and work fine now. Thank you and how much do they charge to repair one compared to buying one"
12 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service