RS130 installation: need to extend the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable

I recently installed the RS130 and the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable is too short. Can the cable be cut and spliced? I need at least 12 more feet. I would rather have an extension cable with one male and one female end but couldn't find one on the Raymarine web site. I am running the spur cable to the E22158 Seatalk1 to SeaTalkng converter.

Thanks

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cutting / splicing SeaTalkNG cables is discouraged. One possibility is plug the existing RS130 spur in to an in-line terminator (A80001) , then 5 meter backbone cable (A06036) to a blue receptacle on your E22158 SeaTalkNG 1 to SeaTalkNG converter.

The SeaTalkng cable supplied with the RS130 is white and the instructions say to plug into a white receptacle on the converter. Will your suggested solution give me the same results?

Yes. On the " in- line terminator" you will see one white & one blue receptacle. Plug the white spur cable in to the white receptacle. Plug the blue backbone cable in to the blue receptacle. On the SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalkNG converter remove 1 of the blue terminator plugs and install the blue backbone cable in it's place.

Hello Ed,

Mike is 100% correct. Thank you for your clear and concise explanation.

You cannot extend the spur cable length (the max length for a spur is 6 meters). So in this case you would extend the backbone to the end of the RS130's spur cable and utilize the in-line terminator.

Please see Page 23 of the attached RS130 GPS Receiver Installation Guide.

3.3 SeaTalkng connection overview —

long cable runs

Use the optional SeaTalkng inline terminator to connect the GPS

receiver’s spur cable directly to the extreme end of the SeaTalkng

backbone using the inline terminator. This removes the need for a

T-piece connector and a separate terminator, making it easier to

achieve a long cable run.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Mike Jaycox's discussion AutoPilot ST4000
"Somewhat of the same situation as with the S1 Smartpilot because the X5 course computer does have Seatalk NG capabilities that is how to connect to the e7D, but the ST7002 is a Seatalk 1 device, to the Seatalk to Seatalk converter will be…"
5 minutes ago
Mike Jaycox replied to Mike Jaycox's discussion AutoPilot ST4000
"Ok Thanks So the x5 and st7002 will work fine with the E7d?"
47 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Lion Benjamins's discussion Checking Navionics card in C120W with preloaded maps
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Lion, The user interface of the C/E-Series Widescreen MFDs neither identifies the source of cartography being used nor provides a configuration setting to specify the source of cartography to be used.…"
1 hour ago
"The best upgrade to the ST4000 wheel drive is the current EV-100 Wheel system.  The S1 Smartpilot system is Seatalk1 only, so to communicate with the e7D MFD you would need to add a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter to interface the two…"
1 hour ago
Lion Benjamins posted a discussion

Checking Navionics card in C120W with preloaded maps

My C120W came preloaded with US Charts.I have just received my Navionics Gold card for the C120W USA and Bahamas.The registration process and updating went without a hitch.How can I check that the MFD is using the newly inserted card and not the resident preloaded maps?ThanksLionSee More
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Mike Jaycox's discussion Smartpilot Set Autopilot 6001 to upgrade a st4000 wheel drive
"So now the question is using the S1 course computer in the system with the existing wheel drive?  Yes, that would work as well.  The S1 course computer is no longer repairable, due to the age of the system."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Gerry Travers's discussion Raymarine 240 Active Speaker
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Gerry, It is indeed possible to splice the cables as you have suggested.  Simply match the colors of the section of cable retained to leads of the currently installed cable."
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Fairwind's discussion Flux gate placement
"No, just after the move, make sure you re-calibrate the compass and the difference in location will be calibrated out."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dave Lipskis's discussion Replacing VHF Ray 54(discontinued) with Ray 49
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Dave, The DSM300 has absolutely no means of passing GPS data to a VHF radio or to support processing NMEA 0183 DSC/DSC messages.  The VHF radio should be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Cable (which in turn…"
2 hours ago
Profile IconRobert Byrne, Robert Maier, Kaohsiungans and 11 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
2 hours ago
Mike Jaycox posted discussions
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Ken Lawrence's discussion Adding AIS650 to Dual E120 System
"Ken, Like the software updates for most Raymarine products, the software updates for the AIS650 are cumulative.  As such, one need only install the latest software update to obtain the feature additions and feature corrections of any prior…"
2 hours ago
Ken Lawrence replied to Ken Lawrence's discussion Adding AIS650 to Dual E120 System
"OK last question (I hope :)). I updated the software to 1.10. Easy. Thank you. Can I assume this is a cumulative update? The reason I as is that I noted that there was update v1.7 fixing "Stopped output of GPS position to NMEA2000…"
2 hours ago
"what about a Smartpilot Set Autopilot 6001, i will be linking it to a E7D"
2 hours ago
"Is this the best upgrade to a st4000 wheel drive?"
2 hours ago
"Yes, you can use the X5 course computer with the ST7002 control head and the Wheel drive."
2 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service