RS130 installation: need to extend the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable

I recently installed the RS130 and the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable is too short. Can the cable be cut and spliced? I need at least 12 more feet. I would rather have an extension cable with one male and one female end but couldn't find one on the Raymarine web site. I am running the spur cable to the E22158 Seatalk1 to SeaTalkng converter.

Thanks

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cutting / splicing SeaTalkNG cables is discouraged. One possibility is plug the existing RS130 spur in to an in-line terminator (A80001) , then 5 meter backbone cable (A06036) to a blue receptacle on your E22158 SeaTalkNG 1 to SeaTalkNG converter.

The SeaTalkng cable supplied with the RS130 is white and the instructions say to plug into a white receptacle on the converter. Will your suggested solution give me the same results?

Yes. On the " in- line terminator" you will see one white & one blue receptacle. Plug the white spur cable in to the white receptacle. Plug the blue backbone cable in to the blue receptacle. On the SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalkNG converter remove 1 of the blue terminator plugs and install the blue backbone cable in it's place.

Hello Ed,

Mike is 100% correct. Thank you for your clear and concise explanation.

You cannot extend the spur cable length (the max length for a spur is 6 meters). So in this case you would extend the backbone to the end of the RS130's spur cable and utilize the in-line terminator.

Please see Page 23 of the attached RS130 GPS Receiver Installation Guide.

3.3 SeaTalkng connection overview —

long cable runs

Use the optional SeaTalkng inline terminator to connect the GPS

receiver’s spur cable directly to the extreme end of the SeaTalkng

backbone using the inline terminator. This removes the need for a

T-piece connector and a separate terminator, making it easier to

achieve a long cable run.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Victor Avedano left a comment for charles Stephens
"I bought a Pilot EV100 and I need to connect the seatalk NG to the Garmin echoMAP 54DV (NMEA 0183)"
4 minutes ago
Chad Barclay replied to Chad Barclay's discussion Adding my autopilot to my e7D
"Check that. ST6002 "
51 minutes ago
John Petrick updated their profile
1 hour ago
Bill hodges replied to Bill hodges's discussion eS Series MFD
"Thank you for the reply. As I understand A2) I will be able to run my current C120 simultaneously with a eS128 Chirp or Downvision without the transducers' interfering with each other. Last question, when will I be able to purchase the eS128?"
2 hours ago
Dennison replied to Dennison's discussion SPX-5GP passes all calibration and auto-learn tests BUT fails after 1 - 2 mins in AUTO - what's wrong
"No worries. i appreciate the help to sort out a frustrating problem. Yes, this seems to be what happens - the drive works, the drive no longer works, the boat drifts off course and then the off course alarm sounds. I will check the Motor leads on…"
2 hours ago
Ron Sherman replied to Ron Sherman's discussion Network adapters
"Ok. Thanks for that. You indicated I need an A80272 RayNet (M) to SeaTalkhs (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable To connect my C120 and Dsm30 to the switch. In looking for that, I found an A80276 / Raymarine RayNet…"
2 hours ago
steve krug replied to steve krug's discussion auto pilot wierdness!
"16 degrees"
3 hours ago
Jerry Smith replied to Jerry Smith's discussion EV 100 Autopilot
"The SeaStar Helm is HH5271 and the cylinder is HC5345.  I have the rudder limit set to 30 and the hard over time at 16 seconds based on two times what it takes for the 40 degrees of movement time multiplied by 2. I have not had the chance to…"
3 hours ago
Dirk Husselman replied to Dirk Husselman's discussion Evolution Pilot holding course
"Using Linear drive type 1. Vessel: Sailboat. Thanks, Dirk"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Rich Anderson's discussion a98 transducer
"You're welcome."
3 hours ago
Brian Muir replied to Brian Muir's discussion ST4000+, need to replace components... advice?
"Gray. So I guess I have the MKII. Thanks for helping clear that up."
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Howard F Loeffler's discussion Voyage Planner & Magnetic Bearings
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Howard, Voyage Planner's design does not presently support the operator to configure the program for magnetic bearings as do Raymarine MFDs.  A feature request has been logged to consider the…"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to John Petrick's discussion Dragonfly 5 inch vs. 5.7 inch display.
"John For the most part, the Dragonfly 6/7 are equivalent to the new Dragonfly 4/5 Pro.  However, the Dragonfly 4/5 Pro displays benefit from improvements in case design, mount, power/transducer socket, memory card reader, and keypad.…"
4 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Ron Sherman's discussion Network adapters
"Ron, The Crossover Coupler is likely in place because the Digital Radar Cable terminated in a RJ45 (M) plug.  Should you be seeking to remover the SeaTalkhs Cable and Crossover Coupler, then an A80247 RJ45 (F) to RayNet (F) Adapter may be…"
4 hours ago
Tom Uffelman replied to Tom Uffelman's discussion Autopilot Woes
"That you, I will test it an advise.  Fortunately, the unit is under warranty."
4 hours ago
Andy Kieffer replied to Andy Kieffer's discussion Raymarine 49 VHF radio SERIOUSLY abused
"Ok.  Will do.  Thanks.  -andy"
4 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service