RS130 installation: need to extend the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable

I recently installed the RS130 and the supplied SeaTalkng spur cable is too short. Can the cable be cut and spliced? I need at least 12 more feet. I would rather have an extension cable with one male and one female end but couldn't find one on the Raymarine web site. I am running the spur cable to the E22158 Seatalk1 to SeaTalkng converter.

Thanks

Views: 538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cutting / splicing SeaTalkNG cables is discouraged. One possibility is plug the existing RS130 spur in to an in-line terminator (A80001) , then 5 meter backbone cable (A06036) to a blue receptacle on your E22158 SeaTalkNG 1 to SeaTalkNG converter.

The SeaTalkng cable supplied with the RS130 is white and the instructions say to plug into a white receptacle on the converter. Will your suggested solution give me the same results?

Yes. On the " in- line terminator" you will see one white & one blue receptacle. Plug the white spur cable in to the white receptacle. Plug the blue backbone cable in to the blue receptacle. On the SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalkNG converter remove 1 of the blue terminator plugs and install the blue backbone cable in it's place.

Hello Ed,

Mike is 100% correct. Thank you for your clear and concise explanation.

You cannot extend the spur cable length (the max length for a spur is 6 meters). So in this case you would extend the backbone to the end of the RS130's spur cable and utilize the in-line terminator.

Please see Page 23 of the attached RS130 GPS Receiver Installation Guide.

3.3 SeaTalkng connection overview —

long cable runs

Use the optional SeaTalkng inline terminator to connect the GPS

receiver’s spur cable directly to the extreme end of the SeaTalkng

backbone using the inline terminator. This removes the need for a

T-piece connector and a separate terminator, making it easier to

achieve a long cable run.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconTakingTime, Cyrus Scott, Andrew David Thomas and 18 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Jim thomoson's discussion Dragonfly Pro
"You're welcome."
4 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Rod Coleman's discussion C90W power button
"You're welcome."
4 hours ago
Clay N Viemeister replied to Rod Coleman's discussion C90W power button
"Thank you. Will do."
5 hours ago
Jim thomoson replied to Jim thomoson's discussion Dragonfly Pro
"I understand, thanks for your patience and for such prompt and thorough advice."
5 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Bill Fear's discussion Dragonfly latest software question
"You're welcome."
5 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Rod Coleman's discussion C90W power button
"Clay, The MFD's POWER button is not in any way part of the MFD's design to prevent water intrusion.  With regard to the MFD's Power Button, it is recommended that Raymarine Product Support (603.324.7900) be contacted to determine…"
5 hours ago
"Jim, Should the entire system go down, then the a-Series MFD and Dragonfly, then the MFD would still be the better choice as it has superior chartplotting features, including support for routes ... which Dragonfly does not.  In the end, it…"
5 hours ago
"Ok thank you. And in a situation where the entire system fails and I need to resort to a backup gps / chart plotter, what are pros and cons of dragonfly vs a series other than dragonfly being half the price? Thanks"
6 hours ago
Bill Fear replied to Bill Fear's discussion Dragonfly latest software question
"I think I've encountered this and never realized what was happening.  Anxious to try out new software.  Thanks for rapid response. Bill"
6 hours ago
Clay N Viemeister replied to Rod Coleman's discussion C90W power button
" Hello-I have the same question as the original OP. Also,does this cracked button effect water tightness integrity? The button works.It is just cracked and broken .I want to fix.Thank you."
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Capt. Hank Jackson's discussion C80 Classic cycles on and off
"You're welcome."
6 hours ago
"Jim, Should the rest of the system except for you e127 MFD be operational, then an a-Series MFD may simply be plugged into the system to restore most, if not all, of the systems features.  The Dragonfly displays have no communications…"
6 hours ago
Capt. Hank Jackson replied to Capt. Hank Jackson's discussion C80 Classic cycles on and off
"Thank you....."
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Capt. Hank Jackson's discussion C80 Classic cycles on and off
"Hank, It sounds as though there may be a problem with the keypad PCB on which the POWER button resides.  Should the problem persist, then it is recommended that the MFD be serviced as soon as possible.  Parts are now limited for this…"
7 hours ago
"Thank you. So what is the downside to using a dragonfly as a backup? What functionality would I lose if I use it only as a backup emergency unit?"
7 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service