Replacing ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head

My old ST4000 wheel pilot went wrong last week.
When I turn on AUTO, suddenly the steering turns to right and it does'nt stop.

My friend advised me to replace my old ST4000 control head with new ST6002 control head. It seems the simple and the lowest costed way for me to renew.

But I'm afraid if old wires cannot connect to new ST6002 head, because many wires gather into control head unlikly as the new product, as shown by PDF below.

http://www.equipment.ath.cx/instrument_pdf/Autohelm/ST4000.pdf

Please let me know if I can replace ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head without changing old wires.
Or should I buy new wires together and change the end of wires to fit compass and
wheel drive ?

The compass and wheel drive seem going well.

Thank you.

Views: 1581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I checked ST4000 wire resistance to the compass and set re-calbrating , this weekend.

Only wire resistance between Screen and Red that should show 0 Orms, showed a little resistance 0.4-1.4 M.Ohms. (It was moving ,didn't fix) But other resistances were in normal range.

Then I went short sailing. After checking the compass showing correct, and when I turned on to AUTO, the trouble that made steering turn suddenly, was disappeared.  I can't understand why the trouble was solved.  I wonder if the trouble may come again.

The result of re-calibrating, deviation was bad. It showed 16 degree . But difference between ship compass and ST4000 compass was a little, defferences were max. 5 degree and min. 0 degree. I don't feel defficulty to sail with ST4000 compass.

Please let me know if the fluxgate compass was the reason of this trouble , or the reason of 16 degree deviation , and what to do if any .

Thank you

rhino horn - Raymarine, US said:

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I'll check somthing electronics or ferrous metal near the ST4000 compass.

Although boat compass showed nearly the same hedding, these 2 compasses might be affected by somthing such a material.

I'll check hedding by handy bearing compass free from deviation.

But can I doubt high deviation may be caused by a fatal trouble in ST4000 compass ?

Thank you.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn . 

I'll replace fluxgate compass near future.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Send us a response with the outcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconDuane Ruby, laurent petit, PourQuoi Pas and 1 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
11 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Phil Clements's discussion CP-200 module install question
"Phil, Q1 - Does it matter which way I arrange transducers on my starboard tab, i.e., CPT-100 inboad/CPT-200 outboard or other way around? A1 - Per the prior response, Raymarine has not specified any distances to separate transom mounted transducers…"
13 minutes ago
Phil Clements replied to Phil Clements's discussion CP-200 module install question
"I have transducer mounting plates (tabs) welded to my hull, they are visible in the "rearview" picture. No holes are drilled through the transom, only the transducer mounting plate (or tab). The tabs are specifically for mounting…"
31 minutes ago
gene dennis replied to gene dennis's discussion st50+ wind instrument replaced by i60
"Thanks for that prompt reply.  I had been told by raymarine by phone it would work. But....oh well.  The i60 masthead transducer would require running new cable from masthead to instrument I assume.  That may require removing the mast…"
33 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Phil Clements's discussion CP-200 module install question
"Phil, Raymarine has not specified any distances to separate transom mounted transducers, as most vessels are only fitted with a single transducer.  As such, it would be advised that the transducers be separated as far apart as is permissible.…"
48 minutes ago
Phil Clements updated their profile
1 hour ago
Phil Clements replied to Phil Clements's discussion CP-200 module install question
"I'm at the point of mounting transducers and mocked them up yesterday. I could find nothing in the manuals regarding physical separation between two transducers, or preferred arrangement, when installed on the same mounting tab. I was able to…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Michael Cook's discussion A78 MFD displaying multiple sonars at the same time
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Michael, Raymarine's 6" and 7" a/e-Series MFDs will support splitting the screen in half either vertically or horizontally, permitting up to two applications to share the screen.  Should a…"
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to George Flanik's discussion Dragonfly software updates
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum George, Please see the software history posted below for Dragonfly.  You will find that it indeed features a list not only feature additions, but also higher level feature corrections (ex. Simulator…"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to vic's discussion P70 compatible with older auto pilot core pack
"The p70 control head can work on two interfaces, Seatalk NG or Seatalk 1.  You would need the Seatalk to Seatalk NG adapter cable, if the p70 is connected to the S2G through the Seatalk port it will operate over Seatalk interface."
3 hours ago
vic posted a discussion

P70 compatible with older auto pilot core pack

We have an existing S2G autopilot core pack that works very well. If we change then control head to the new P70 will this interface thru the older sea talk or do we have to change the core pack to the current evolution series for the new P70 to work correctly?
4 hours ago
Michael Cook posted a discussion

A78 MFD displaying multiple sonars at the same time

I am planning to purchase an A78 MFD with down vision in the next few days.  My plan is to add the CPT 200 side vision in the next few months.  Will the A78 display the information from both sonars at the same time on the same screen?See More
4 hours ago
George Flanik posted a discussion

Dragonfly software updates

Why doesn't RM indicate what fixes were completed when releasing software updates?This would help end users on the forum have the ability to diagnose voodoo issues if in fact a software bug was present causing an issue. If you list all fixes then the customer can fix most problems by updating when they see what was fixed.I work with industrial PLC systems and having "Release Notes" sure makes figuring out what potential issues are. The vendor even goes to the point of updating confirmed…See More
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to gene dennis's discussion st50+ wind instrument replaced by i60
"The i60 comes with a Seatalk NG to Seatalk cable, you would cut the flat Seatalk connector off the Seatalk side of the cable and inside will have the Red, Yellow and Shield (bare) wires. I'm sorry if you are not aware, you can't use a…"
21 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Peter Malloy's discussion Unreliable Depth
"Peter, Thanks for the information.  I assume that this is the software information for the e127?  If so, have you verified that the Application Version listed for both the e127 and e125 is v12.25?  If so, the remaining recommendations…"
22 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Peter Malloy's discussion Touch Screen
"You're welcome."
22 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service