Replacing ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head

My old ST4000 wheel pilot went wrong last week.
When I turn on AUTO, suddenly the steering turns to right and it does'nt stop.

My friend advised me to replace my old ST4000 control head with new ST6002 control head. It seems the simple and the lowest costed way for me to renew.

But I'm afraid if old wires cannot connect to new ST6002 head, because many wires gather into control head unlikly as the new product, as shown by PDF below.

http://www.equipment.ath.cx/instrument_pdf/Autohelm/ST4000.pdf

Please let me know if I can replace ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head without changing old wires.
Or should I buy new wires together and change the end of wires to fit compass and
wheel drive ?

The compass and wheel drive seem going well.

Thank you.

Views: 2108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I checked ST4000 wire resistance to the compass and set re-calbrating , this weekend.

Only wire resistance between Screen and Red that should show 0 Orms, showed a little resistance 0.4-1.4 M.Ohms. (It was moving ,didn't fix) But other resistances were in normal range.

Then I went short sailing. After checking the compass showing correct, and when I turned on to AUTO, the trouble that made steering turn suddenly, was disappeared.  I can't understand why the trouble was solved.  I wonder if the trouble may come again.

The result of re-calibrating, deviation was bad. It showed 16 degree . But difference between ship compass and ST4000 compass was a little, defferences were max. 5 degree and min. 0 degree. I don't feel defficulty to sail with ST4000 compass.

Please let me know if the fluxgate compass was the reason of this trouble , or the reason of 16 degree deviation , and what to do if any .

Thank you

rhino horn - Raymarine, US said:

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I'll check somthing electronics or ferrous metal near the ST4000 compass.

Although boat compass showed nearly the same hedding, these 2 compasses might be affected by somthing such a material.

I'll check hedding by handy bearing compass free from deviation.

But can I doubt high deviation may be caused by a fatal trouble in ST4000 compass ?

Thank you.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn . 

I'll replace fluxgate compass near future.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Send us a response with the outcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Larry Witty's discussion E125 Pilot Controls not working after Lighthouse Update to v15
"Larry, Unfortunately, while the diagnostics provide clear information about the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 and Ethernet devices (all appears to be normal), the diagnostics do not provide information concerning devices on the SeaTalk bus.  The most…"
27 minutes ago
William Stocker posted a discussion

SPX5-R drive hard to turn in standby, steering system OK

I have a SPX5-R drive that has gotten very hard to turn when in standby. The drive operates perfectly when in auto, but it takes two hands on the wheel to turn it when in standby. I split out the hydraulic ram from the outboard and the O/B moves easily when disconnected. The wheel also turns freely when the drive counter-torque arm is disconnected. I have completely removed the drive and can steer the boat with one finger now. This appears to be a clutch issue in the SPX5-R drive.  It does not…See More
30 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Tommy Bates's discussion 1st Generation Dragonfly vs Dragonfly 7PRO
"Tommy, The posted Dragonfly software update applies to all Dragonfly displays."
46 minutes ago
Larry Witty replied to Larry Witty's discussion E125 Pilot Controls not working after Lighthouse Update to v15
"Take 2... Attached should be the complete HTML. Other connected devices that may not show in this data are AIS 250 receiver connected via NMEA and the SeaTalkHS switch which is connected to the E125 via the Raynet (F) To SeatalkHs adapter cable."
48 minutes ago
Tommy Bates replied to Tommy Bates's discussion 1st Generation Dragonfly vs Dragonfly 7PRO
"Does the new software update 12.09 also apply to the 1st gen models?"
55 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Tommy Bates's discussion 1st Generation Dragonfly vs Dragonfly 7PRO
"Tommy, Other than screen size, the Dragonfly 7Pro features: built in Wi-Fi an improved mount (similar to that of the Dragonfly 4/5 displays) featuring a ball which is compatible with RAM mounts.  The new mount also permits the Dragonfly 7Pro…"
58 minutes ago
Tommy Bates posted a discussion

1st Generation Dragonfly vs Dragonfly 7PRO

In the summer of 2015, I purchased a Dragonfly 6 that was manufactured in 2013.  This was a close-out.  Since my boat was on a lake, I decided to just wait til winter to mount my "new" dragonfly.  Now, I find that my new purchase is obsolete even before I have turned it on for the first time, as it is now called a gen 1 and Raymarine no longer makes the 6.  So, what is the major difference between my gen 1 dragonfly 6 and the new dragonfly 7PRO?See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Justin Taylor's discussion Radar Purchase Help
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Justin, The e127 MFD which is presently installed onboard will support radar features when interfaced to a Quantum, Digital, HD Digital, or SuperHD Digital radar scanner.  Should you desire to install…"
1 hour ago
Justin Taylor posted a discussion

Radar Purchase Help

Good Afternoon,I’m looking for advise on upgrading our existing radar system on our boat.  The boat is a Baha Cruisers 313 Weekender.  It is mostly used for fishing in the great lakes.  Our goal with the radar is to help with advanced notice of incoming weather and identification of boats and objects while fishing or cruising back to the marina during a dense fog.In 2014 I upgrade the chartplotter fishing finder to a Raymarine E127 hybrid.  I had it networked with our Raytheon ST5000+…See More
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Wolfgang Rohn's discussion E90W CF card vs MFD card
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Wolfgang, Raymarine offers the A62311 Raymarine Cartography Adapter to support using Navionics cartography stored on microSD memory cards with the MFDs specified below.  In order to use the Raymarine…"
1 hour ago
Wolfgang Rohn posted a discussion

E90W CF card vs MFD card

Is there an adaptor available to use MSD cards in the E90W plotter? See More
1 hour ago
Profile IconSteve Barnett, Capt Gid, Adam and 4 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
1 hour ago
Wolfgang Rohn replied to Douglas Patton's discussion Converting CF card
"Is there an adaptor from MSD to CF for E90W? "
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Timothy Dube's discussion ST50 instruments with new MFD c97
"You're welcome."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Larry Witty's discussion E125 Pilot Controls not working after Lighthouse Update to v15
"Larry, I tested a system here in the office and it is functioning properly.  Please the following command sequence to produce the specified diagnostics file for your system and attach it to this discussion:   System Device List…"
1 hour ago
Wolfgang Rohn updated their profile
1 hour ago

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service