Replacing ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head

My old ST4000 wheel pilot went wrong last week.
When I turn on AUTO, suddenly the steering turns to right and it does'nt stop.

My friend advised me to replace my old ST4000 control head with new ST6002 control head. It seems the simple and the lowest costed way for me to renew.

But I'm afraid if old wires cannot connect to new ST6002 head, because many wires gather into control head unlikly as the new product, as shown by PDF below.

http://www.equipment.ath.cx/instrument_pdf/Autohelm/ST4000.pdf

Please let me know if I can replace ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head without changing old wires.
Or should I buy new wires together and change the end of wires to fit compass and
wheel drive ?

The compass and wheel drive seem going well.

Thank you.

Views: 1700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I checked ST4000 wire resistance to the compass and set re-calbrating , this weekend.

Only wire resistance between Screen and Red that should show 0 Orms, showed a little resistance 0.4-1.4 M.Ohms. (It was moving ,didn't fix) But other resistances were in normal range.

Then I went short sailing. After checking the compass showing correct, and when I turned on to AUTO, the trouble that made steering turn suddenly, was disappeared.  I can't understand why the trouble was solved.  I wonder if the trouble may come again.

The result of re-calibrating, deviation was bad. It showed 16 degree . But difference between ship compass and ST4000 compass was a little, defferences were max. 5 degree and min. 0 degree. I don't feel defficulty to sail with ST4000 compass.

Please let me know if the fluxgate compass was the reason of this trouble , or the reason of 16 degree deviation , and what to do if any .

Thank you

rhino horn - Raymarine, US said:

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I'll check somthing electronics or ferrous metal near the ST4000 compass.

Although boat compass showed nearly the same hedding, these 2 compasses might be affected by somthing such a material.

I'll check hedding by handy bearing compass free from deviation.

But can I doubt high deviation may be caused by a fatal trouble in ST4000 compass ?

Thank you.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn . 

I'll replace fluxgate compass near future.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Send us a response with the outcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Ryan Gilbert replied to Shane Lemons's discussion New units
"I just got a similar setup for my boat -- a97 for the console and a pair of a68's for the bow and stern.  The CHIRP/downvision of the a68 and the digital sonar of the a97 plus any charting cards can be shared across any of the 3 units.…"
1 hour ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to Dave johnson's discussion a 78 transducer
"Just another thought on using an in hull transducer.  Check the type of fiberglass construction of your boat's hull.  If it is solid fiberglass the in hull will work well.  If however the hull uses honeycomb fiberglass or has any…"
1 hour ago
Bill Swentor replied to Bill Swentor's discussion Dragonfly Problem
"As it turned out, I sent my unit back to the repair center. My unit came back in about ten days. The paperwork that came back with the unit stated that the unit was REPLACED by Raymerine for a faulty hardware problem. Hardware failure. Not good…"
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dave johnson's discussion a 78 transducer
"Dave, Ryan's comments are sound.  Again were you seeking an in-hull transducer for the depths specified, then it would be strongly recommended that the M260 be considered over the P79."
3 hours ago
Mark Rutherford replied to Mark Rutherford's discussion i70 in setup cannot find transducers
"Thanks. You are right. All transducers are greyed out except the compass which I could access. We have a minus 80 degree error. Will a compass swing align this or should I apply a plus 80 degree offset? "
10 hours ago
Shane Lemons replied to Shane Lemons's discussion New units
"As suggested I purchased two a68's. I have also purchased the trolling motor attachment along with the Raynet (f) cable. This may be redundant but I just need to be clear. One of the units came with navionics gold bundle and one did not. If I…"
14 hours ago
Allen Edwards replied to Lars's discussion Tacktick NMEA interface T122
"Did you ever get an answer on how much current you can take out of the 'power out' connector?"
14 hours ago
Jim Schrader replied to Dale Klymchuk's discussion Auto pilot control by cell phone.
"This is frustrating as this functionality been disabled. I'd say it's only available, for a price, by purchasing a stand alone wireless product but I don't think you can even by one for the evolution autopilot. Never the less, for a…"
22 hours ago
John W Davis replied to John W Davis's discussion P70 Compass Calibration
"Ok, I moved the EV-1 and that cured the problem.  Keep the EV-1 away from the ACU-100. Now my second issue.  Data from my St60's and chart plotter is displayed on the P70, however, when I ask it to show the network, I get an…"
22 hours ago
Dennis posted a status
"Is it possible to control a Robertson autopilot J300X junction box with the Raymarine P70r control head?"
yesterday
Ryan Gilbert replied to Dave johnson's discussion a 78 transducer
"The a77 MFD is the same as the a78 except that it has a digital sonar for depth finder/fish finder use instead of the CHIRP/downvision on the a78.  The because of this, the a77 can be used with an in hull transducer.  Here is a link to a…"
yesterday
Dh Jackson replied to Dh Jackson's discussion GPSMAP 740 to T122 wiring
"I fired up the system again today and kept the t113 display near the Interface box and the 740 dashboards worked fine. After a couple of hours I shut the systems down, waited about 30 minutes and re-started everything and everything worked!! I…"
yesterday
Air Raid replied to Air Raid's discussion Seatalk 2 Flat 5 connector pinout.
"UW< Is Raymarine Seatalk ng,   Actually NMEA 2000 protocall??"
yesterday
Dave johnson replied to Dave johnson's discussion a 78 transducer
"Thanks for this information. I could return this a78 and get something more suitable. What raymarine sounder would you recommend that can be paired with a good in hull sounder that would work for fishing in saltwater 20 to 600 feet?  dave j "
yesterday
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Dh Jackson's discussion GPSMAP 740 to T122 wiring
"From there I would have to recommend that the interface box be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician. Raymarine Service Center 9 Townsend West Nashua, NH 03063   Include in the box: Name Daytime Phone Return…"
yesterday
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Air Raid's discussion Seatalk 2 Flat 5 connector pinout.
"I have enclosed the labeled connector below."
yesterday

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service