Replacing ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head

My old ST4000 wheel pilot went wrong last week.
When I turn on AUTO, suddenly the steering turns to right and it does'nt stop.

My friend advised me to replace my old ST4000 control head with new ST6002 control head. It seems the simple and the lowest costed way for me to renew.

But I'm afraid if old wires cannot connect to new ST6002 head, because many wires gather into control head unlikly as the new product, as shown by PDF below.

http://www.equipment.ath.cx/instrument_pdf/Autohelm/ST4000.pdf

Please let me know if I can replace ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head without changing old wires.
Or should I buy new wires together and change the end of wires to fit compass and
wheel drive ?

The compass and wheel drive seem going well.

Thank you.

Views: 1538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I checked ST4000 wire resistance to the compass and set re-calbrating , this weekend.

Only wire resistance between Screen and Red that should show 0 Orms, showed a little resistance 0.4-1.4 M.Ohms. (It was moving ,didn't fix) But other resistances were in normal range.

Then I went short sailing. After checking the compass showing correct, and when I turned on to AUTO, the trouble that made steering turn suddenly, was disappeared.  I can't understand why the trouble was solved.  I wonder if the trouble may come again.

The result of re-calibrating, deviation was bad. It showed 16 degree . But difference between ship compass and ST4000 compass was a little, defferences were max. 5 degree and min. 0 degree. I don't feel defficulty to sail with ST4000 compass.

Please let me know if the fluxgate compass was the reason of this trouble , or the reason of 16 degree deviation , and what to do if any .

Thank you

rhino horn - Raymarine, US said:

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I'll check somthing electronics or ferrous metal near the ST4000 compass.

Although boat compass showed nearly the same hedding, these 2 compasses might be affected by somthing such a material.

I'll check hedding by handy bearing compass free from deviation.

But can I doubt high deviation may be caused by a fatal trouble in ST4000 compass ?

Thank you.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn . 

I'll replace fluxgate compass near future.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Send us a response with the outcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Frank Leyshon replied to Frank Leyshon's discussion E-80 Chartplotter
"That worked perfectly! Thanks so much for your help. Frank"
15 minutes ago
Brian Marks replied to Brian Marks's discussion EVO 200 A/P Compatability
"Thank you, I just got an e series installed"
1 hour ago
Chris Waitkun replied to Jeff Zimmerman's discussion Engine data on C70 MFD
"Thank You I greatly appreciate all the support you have given me. Thanks Chris"
2 hours ago
Mike Parker replied to Mark Leavitt's discussion New Install of an 18" HD Radome on a Center Console Fiberglass T Top
"Mark, This mounting wedge may help. http://www.seaviewglobal.com/en/categories/300000006"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Mark Leavitt's discussion Radar Cable Interconnection Clarification
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Mark, When Raymarine initially introduced Digital/HD Digital/SuperHD Digital Radar Scanners, it had offered Digital Radar Cables featuring an RJ45 plug to be located on the cable end farthest from the…"
3 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Mark Coleman's discussion Rudder reference issues
"I suggest doing the autolearn  at around 5-10 knots, or just below planing speed."
3 hours ago
Allan Jones posted a discussion

Wind Data and EV200

I have an EV-200 installation with a below decks linear drive on a 37 ft ketch.  I would like to somehow get my existing Standard Horizon wind angle and speed to display on the Sea Talk ng bus.  I would then replace the existing SH display with an i70 MFD and hopefully be able to steer to wind.  Not planing on pulling the mast anytime soon.The masthead unit is new and has a 5 wire Fuji cable.  The cable connects at the mast foot to a junction box, a second junction box connection leads to the…See More
3 hours ago
Mark Leavitt posted discussions
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Justin Page's discussion RAY240E VHF - can 2 handsets both be in control?
"Justin, The Ray240/240E had handsets featuring a magnetic component which permitted the radio to sense when the handset had been secured within the cradle.  In a correctly functioning Ray240/240E system, should the handsets each be secured in…"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Justin Page's discussion Temporarily stopping AIS & Radar alarms
"We have forwarded this discussion to our engineering team for comment.  Please stand by."
4 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Frank Leyshon's discussion E-80 Chartplotter
"Frank, Your E-Series Classic MFD has one of the very early versions of E-Series Classic MFD software within it.  It appears that the version of software which is presently installed within your MFD (v3.22) is not compatible with your 1XG Gold…"
4 hours ago
Jim Kirby or Laura Asay replied to Jim Kirby or Laura Asay's discussion Compatible replacement items for old Autohelm 5000
"Upgrading will have to be in the future. I'm just trying to get by until I can get back to the States to refit and currently have access to some used parts. Thanks for the info, though."
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to alejandro Zarich's discussion i60 close haul working randomly
"You have three end caps in this system, are the end caps you diagrammed the blue terminators, or do you have the blue ones on the ends and the black one next to where the i60 is connected to the converter? Is the power being back fed in from…"
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Larry Hites's discussion ST40 instruments are not showing up on my C70 classic MFD
"Other than what you have done, meaning seeing no data through the Seatalk port on the C Series there is no other field test to test the Seatalk pcb.  I would have to recommend the display be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a…"
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Russ Cannon's discussion Older raytheon compatability?
"With the Type 100 course computer, you are limited with the control heads that are compatible.  The current control heads p70/R are not compatible but the previous generation control heads are compatible but not with the rotary knob, so the…"
4 hours ago
Frank Leyshon replied to Frank Leyshon's discussion E-80 Chartplotter
"I did not see a dialog box on boot up. I put the old 128MB card in and found a boot code V3.22."
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service