Replacing ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head

My old ST4000 wheel pilot went wrong last week.
When I turn on AUTO, suddenly the steering turns to right and it does'nt stop.

My friend advised me to replace my old ST4000 control head with new ST6002 control head. It seems the simple and the lowest costed way for me to renew.

But I'm afraid if old wires cannot connect to new ST6002 head, because many wires gather into control head unlikly as the new product, as shown by PDF below.

http://www.equipment.ath.cx/instrument_pdf/Autohelm/ST4000.pdf

Please let me know if I can replace ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head without changing old wires.
Or should I buy new wires together and change the end of wires to fit compass and
wheel drive ?

The compass and wheel drive seem going well.

Thank you.

Views: 2479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I checked ST4000 wire resistance to the compass and set re-calbrating , this weekend.

Only wire resistance between Screen and Red that should show 0 Orms, showed a little resistance 0.4-1.4 M.Ohms. (It was moving ,didn't fix) But other resistances were in normal range.

Then I went short sailing. After checking the compass showing correct, and when I turned on to AUTO, the trouble that made steering turn suddenly, was disappeared.  I can't understand why the trouble was solved.  I wonder if the trouble may come again.

The result of re-calibrating, deviation was bad. It showed 16 degree . But difference between ship compass and ST4000 compass was a little, defferences were max. 5 degree and min. 0 degree. I don't feel defficulty to sail with ST4000 compass.

Please let me know if the fluxgate compass was the reason of this trouble , or the reason of 16 degree deviation , and what to do if any .

Thank you

rhino horn - Raymarine, US said:

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I'll check somthing electronics or ferrous metal near the ST4000 compass.

Although boat compass showed nearly the same hedding, these 2 compasses might be affected by somthing such a material.

I'll check hedding by handy bearing compass free from deviation.

But can I doubt high deviation may be caused by a fatal trouble in ST4000 compass ?

Thank you.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn . 

I'll replace fluxgate compass near future.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Send us a response with the outcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

max mcneil replied to John Markunas's discussion Lighthouse versus Navionics charts
"I have a e125 chart plotter purchased  in Dec 2015. I using the lighthouse charts that came with the unit. This past week in a cruise to Boston lighthouse failed for Boston harbor only. Other areas are fine. Can raymarine replace this sc cards…"
19 hours ago
jeff kanter replied to Dan Stover's discussion Navionics Dock-to-Dock Autorouting
"Dan, I recall it saying that the auto-pilot needs recalibration after installing the latest Lighthouse update. I haven't been out yet to see if it is necessary but probably should have those instructions on hand before you do the install. I…"
Saturday
Dan Stover replied to Dan Stover's discussion Navionics Dock-to-Dock Autorouting
"I received my Lighthouse 17 update and it says that after the installation it needs to be "calibrated".  I don't know what I'm missing but I can't find a calibration procedure in the Lighthouse manual.  What is…"
Saturday
Greg Shakeshaft replied to Cindy Cross's discussion "Low Battery" Autohelm ST7000 Control, Type 300 Computer, Type 3 Reversing Hydraulic Pump Drive
"Hi Cindy Sorry to bother you regarding your low battery warning on ST7000 which is almost 4 years ago now.  I notice that you got it fixed locally by a spanish technician.  Do you know what the fault was in the end? Regards"
Saturday
jeff kanter replied to Dan Stover's discussion Navionics Dock-to-Dock Autorouting
"I just updated my c95 MFD to the latest software version 17 and renewed my subscription and got the updates to Navionics specifically for the dock to dock navigation. However, most routes I attempt I get the following message " Safe route…"
Saturday
ed replied to ed's discussion Rudder angle indicator
"Hi having trouble asking new question . After I login and try to ask new question the site says I am blocked. Can you help or advise an email address to contact. I have question on the mfd ES7 on how to append route to add additional waypoints after…"
Friday
Richard H Wheeler replied to Lorenzo Vanni's discussion Raychart BC420 and Evermore SA-320
"Hello Lorenzo, I have the exact wiring you show in your picture on my EverMore SA320, just 5 main wires: red, black, green, blue and white.  There is also a tinted mesh ( tiny) Faraday RF suppression cable, and the best connection technique…"
Thursday
Charles Furst replied to Harold Breuninger's discussion Smartpilot x-5 clutch releasing after it is engaged
"I too have this problem with my x-5 and would ask for some clarification of the issue.  I've carefully adjusted the clutch tension so that it works just fine normally, but if there is force on the system, such as from a large course…"
Jun 21
Wim Bakker updated their profile
Jun 20
Jim Pugh replied to Jim Pugh's discussion ST60 Wind Instrument Only Reading on Starboard Tack
"Spring time finally arrived in Chicago and I have had the chance to perform the voltage checks you recommended. All the readings were within spec except the yellow to shield which had a reading above 5v.  Wind…"
Jun 19
Richard Hartley replied to Richard Hartley's discussion Seatalk NG startup problems
" "
Jun 17
TJ replied to Tim's discussion Weather Display Problems
"post your question here, on the new forum. http://forum.raymarine.com/index.php"
Jun 17
Lothar Taylor replied to Paul's discussion Raymarine E80....Update software or Upgrade and replace??
"Hello, I don't mean to hijack this thread but wish to clarify the comment about compatibility of radar systems with the E-Classic MFDs.  Is it truly possible to connect the HD radome or even the open array HD scanners to an E-Classic…"
Jun 17
Justin Brown replied to Justin Brown's discussion Help me understand the correct networking for STng & NMEA 2k sensors
"I added the fuel sensors and see them when checking devices on the a78 MFD, however I have not idea why I am not able to configure the devices. Do I need to have the motors running to properly configure the fuel meters ?"
Jun 17
Tim replied to Tim's discussion Weather Display Problems
"Ha....in what year:) "
Jun 17
TJ replied to Tim's discussion Weather Display Problems
"I will let the moderator chime in and give you the particulars"
Jun 17

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service