Replacing ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head

My old ST4000 wheel pilot went wrong last week.
When I turn on AUTO, suddenly the steering turns to right and it does'nt stop.

My friend advised me to replace my old ST4000 control head with new ST6002 control head. It seems the simple and the lowest costed way for me to renew.

But I'm afraid if old wires cannot connect to new ST6002 head, because many wires gather into control head unlikly as the new product, as shown by PDF below.

http://www.equipment.ath.cx/instrument_pdf/Autohelm/ST4000.pdf

Please let me know if I can replace ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head without changing old wires.
Or should I buy new wires together and change the end of wires to fit compass and
wheel drive ?

The compass and wheel drive seem going well.

Thank you.

Views: 1432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I checked ST4000 wire resistance to the compass and set re-calbrating , this weekend.

Only wire resistance between Screen and Red that should show 0 Orms, showed a little resistance 0.4-1.4 M.Ohms. (It was moving ,didn't fix) But other resistances were in normal range.

Then I went short sailing. After checking the compass showing correct, and when I turned on to AUTO, the trouble that made steering turn suddenly, was disappeared.  I can't understand why the trouble was solved.  I wonder if the trouble may come again.

The result of re-calibrating, deviation was bad. It showed 16 degree . But difference between ship compass and ST4000 compass was a little, defferences were max. 5 degree and min. 0 degree. I don't feel defficulty to sail with ST4000 compass.

Please let me know if the fluxgate compass was the reason of this trouble , or the reason of 16 degree deviation , and what to do if any .

Thank you

rhino horn - Raymarine, US said:

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I'll check somthing electronics or ferrous metal near the ST4000 compass.

Although boat compass showed nearly the same hedding, these 2 compasses might be affected by somthing such a material.

I'll check hedding by handy bearing compass free from deviation.

But can I doubt high deviation may be caused by a fatal trouble in ST4000 compass ?

Thank you.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn . 

I'll replace fluxgate compass near future.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Send us a response with the outcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Charles O'Hern replied to Charles O'Hern's discussion i70 doesn't recognize transducer
"Nevermind, that's not it.  I found available software on the website and it seems to say version 1.05 it the latest for the iTC5.  Guess I'll have to try and sit on hold at the technical support number again tomorrow, hang on…"
3 hours ago
Charles O'Hern replied to Charles O'Hern's discussion i70 doesn't recognize transducer
"I seem to be on my own here.  I stopped back at the boat today and went over things again, may have found the problem.  During any transducer search the i70 can only find the iTC5 converter, and only for speed.  It can not find…"
4 hours ago
Jorge Chubretovich updated their profile
4 hours ago
Frank M. Clemente replied to Frank M. Clemente's discussion E97 Radar Overlay
"Thanks for the info. Looks like I need an EV-1 Core Sensor. Can you answer a few more questions then? Does that simply wire into an open connector on my E97? or do I need other Seatalk devices? as when you say Seatalk I know my unit is…"
4 hours ago
MICAH MCCORKLE replied to MICAH MCCORKLE's discussion Chart / Radar Overlay
"No I do not have these installed.  At this time the E125 only has the down vision, and 24 HD radar.  "
4 hours ago
Adam Sohn posted a status
"Is there any chance that there will be a viewer app for Windows tablets coming out anytime soon? Thanks!"
4 hours ago
Donald liked Don R's discussion Route activation request for future software updates (e Series MFD)
4 hours ago
Donald replied to Don R's discussion Route activation request for future software updates (e Series MFD)
"Hey, that helps me a lot too.  Thank you. "
4 hours ago
Donald shared Moderator - Raymarine, US's discussion on Facebook
4 hours ago
Donald liked Moderator - Raymarine, US's discussion Ning Search Feature Alternative
4 hours ago
Earl Poe posted a status
"I have ST60 wind which will not enter linearising format. Any ideas?"
5 hours ago
TJ replied to James Burgess's discussion S-1000 autopilot
"If you followed the bleed procedure in the S1000 manual, you should be good to go. Just top off the fluid. FYI, it will bleed Down a tad."
5 hours ago
PHIL MCCALL replied to PHIL MCCALL's discussion True wind is wrong on st60+ wind
"The speed through water is right on."
6 hours ago
john bailey replied to john bailey's discussion e120 classic plotter
"The external interfaces shows the gps connected, plus another device I didn't recognise The fluxgate is Raymarine and it is connect directly into an autohelm 6000 auto pilot computer box which also has connections to rudder control, seatalk,…"
8 hours ago
Joe Ashton replied to Joe Ashton's discussion x10 Will rudder feed back help in calibration?
"They are 2 cylinders on reverse parallel.  Teleflex BA150-7 or 175-7 (hard to read the number. "
8 hours ago
James Burgess replied to James Burgess's discussion S-1000 autopilot
"            I followed the installation guides procedure for bleeding the system by loosening the pumps bleed screw two full turns.Then I set the flat on the pump shaft to port ,turned the wheel counter-clockwise until…"
8 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service