Replacing ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head

My old ST4000 wheel pilot went wrong last week.
When I turn on AUTO, suddenly the steering turns to right and it does'nt stop.

My friend advised me to replace my old ST4000 control head with new ST6002 control head. It seems the simple and the lowest costed way for me to renew.

But I'm afraid if old wires cannot connect to new ST6002 head, because many wires gather into control head unlikly as the new product, as shown by PDF below.

http://www.equipment.ath.cx/instrument_pdf/Autohelm/ST4000.pdf

Please let me know if I can replace ST4000 control head with ST6002 control head without changing old wires.
Or should I buy new wires together and change the end of wires to fit compass and
wheel drive ?

The compass and wheel drive seem going well.

Thank you.

Views: 1221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I checked ST4000 wire resistance to the compass and set re-calbrating , this weekend.

Only wire resistance between Screen and Red that should show 0 Orms, showed a little resistance 0.4-1.4 M.Ohms. (It was moving ,didn't fix) But other resistances were in normal range.

Then I went short sailing. After checking the compass showing correct, and when I turned on to AUTO, the trouble that made steering turn suddenly, was disappeared.  I can't understand why the trouble was solved.  I wonder if the trouble may come again.

The result of re-calibrating, deviation was bad. It showed 16 degree . But difference between ship compass and ST4000 compass was a little, defferences were max. 5 degree and min. 0 degree. I don't feel defficulty to sail with ST4000 compass.

Please let me know if the fluxgate compass was the reason of this trouble , or the reason of 16 degree deviation , and what to do if any .

Thank you

rhino horn - Raymarine, US said:

You can not replace a ST4000 control unit with a ST6002 control head, the reason is the ST4000 is a control unit and is a control head and course computer all in one.  The ST6002 is just a control head and you would also need a X5 course computer with the ST6002. You will be able to use the drive and the compass with these two items. 

Just to troubleshoot the issue, was the ST4000 showing good heading when it just went hardover?  It seems the system didn't have heading, hence the reaction.  I would first recommend re-calibrating the compass in the system.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn.

I'll check somthing electronics or ferrous metal near the ST4000 compass.

Although boat compass showed nearly the same hedding, these 2 compasses might be affected by somthing such a material.

I'll check hedding by handy bearing compass free from deviation.

But can I doubt high deviation may be caused by a fatal trouble in ST4000 compass ?

Thank you.

When the autopilot reacts by going hard over it usually is searching for a heading.  So, the compass could be the issue.  That is an unacceptable deviation, 16 degrees, when a deviation is that high it usually points toward the compass being affected by outside interference.  Check the area the compass is located for anything new that is electronic or has ferrous metal within 3 feet of the compass's location.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Thank you Mr.Rhino Horn . 

I'll replace fluxgate compass near future.

Replacement fluxgate compass part number for the ST4000 is M81190.

Send us a response with the outcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to samuel brooks's discussion C80
"You're welcome."
9 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to John C's discussion Classic E80 update with Navionics compact flash card
"John, I assume that the file which Navionics had been referring to is "archive.fsh".  The errant .fsh file may be created when attempting to utilize a new Navionics chart card in a MFD which is not operating with the latest available…"
13 minutes ago
nir replied to nir's discussion AIS alert - Antenna VSWR Fault
"Thank you for the information. Can I test this issue by connecting the emergency VHF antenna directly to AIS650 VHF port? If I understand you correctly, if the issue is not on the AIS650 unit, the VSWR values will be between 1.0:1 - 2.0:1?"
15 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Andrew Linney's discussion AIS650 Silent Mode
"Andrew, It is possible that the Icom VHF radio is looping received NMEA 0183 sentences to its NMEA 0183 output port.  In essence, the VHF radio should only pass DSC and DSE NMEA 0183 sentences to the VHF radio.  You may test whether this…"
18 minutes ago
Mark Handley updated their profile
26 minutes ago
Cattitude posted a discussion

Programming a TriData ST60

I purchased a new TriData ST60 to replace an existing one because the screen went dark. When I removed the old one I found not only the SeaTalk terminations but the senders from depth and speed were terminated on it as well. The new unit only had the SeaTalk terminations but upon further investigation I found the sender terminals under the plastic back which I cut for access. When terminations were made the depth was not displayed and when I referred to the book I found I needed to program the…See More
33 minutes ago
alan replied to ray hanley's discussion EV-200 Sail Autopilot Recommended Components
"Me just a fellow sailer. But if you want to set your autopilot to follow a certain wind angle you need the sail version and a connected windvain. I dont know about the gps as I am of the understanding you can connect the garmain with an adapter."
37 minutes ago
John C replied to John C's discussion Classic E80 update with Navionics compact flash card
"I just figured it out with the Navionics tech man.  You have to delete the old Card index file. You find this by looking at the chip on your computer.  It will be one of the main files when you open it up.  The E80 will make a new CIF…"
40 minutes ago
Andrew Linney replied to Andrew Linney's discussion AIS650 Silent Mode
" "
40 minutes ago
Doug Purdy posted a discussion

Connecting old instruments to EV400

I have an old RL70 B/W radar. I also have st50+ depth and speed and an ST60 wind indicator. I assume these were new in '97 at commissioning. I am installing a new EV400 linear driven Autopilot with a P70 controller. Should I connect the Radar/chartplotter to these other instruments via the SEATALKng cabling converter, or just connect the instruments together and change the chartplotter so it is connected only to the radar dome.  I seldom use the radar portion of the RL70 for which I have no…See More
47 minutes ago
Edward Stoker posted a discussion

Question regarding NMEA2000 to SeatalkNG Backbone interconnection options

What are the different ways to interconnect the two network backbones?Can you spur a SetalkNG backbone to a NMEA2000 backbone, and will this spur cross share data between the networks?  Or must each device have a NMEA2000 to SeatalkNG drop?Could the networks be be spliced toegether directly with a single power source, Each terminating as per instruction but interconnected on the other end?Further I have a 6001 & SPX wheelpilot on the SeatalkNG Network will this cause issues with NMEA2000…See More
48 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Justin McDonagh's discussion AIS Range
"Nir, Please see the response sent regarding your other post."
55 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to nir's discussion AIS alert - Antenna VSWR Fault
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum nir, If examine the voltage standing wave value from the ProAIS screen capture, you will note that it is 258:2:1.  It is recommenced that the VHF cable be unplugged from the AIS650 and that the assembly…"
56 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Andrew Linney's discussion AIS650 Silent Mode
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Andrew, Please provide more detail (i.e. wire for wire (colors of the leads)) concerning the method of interfacing these products.  Please additionally specify the make/model of MFD that the AIS650 has…"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Capt Stewbling's discussion Seatalk 1 to NMEA 2000
"Great to hear.  The limit of 5 Seatalk devices is due to power and making sure 12 VDC is available so data loss will not occur.  Contact us with any further questions.  Happy Boating."
1 hour ago
Profile IconRichard Malin, Manfred Brennwald, Robert Schneider and 25 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service