I had to cut a 10m raynet cable to feed it through a pedestal guard on my sailboat. The cable is used to connect a RD418HD radar to an a95 MFD. The cut end is now in a dry, protected location near the base of my mast where I need to be able to disconnect it from the Raynet radar cable that runs through the mast to the scanner (the radar extension cable fittings were to large to fit the conduit in my mast). After reading various posts, I have identified 3 possible solutions:

1. Cut the Raynet connector off the radar cable and use a connector block in a junction block to join the 2 cables (easily disconnected to unstep the mast)

2. Cut the Raynet connector off the radar cable and put cat6 RJ45 plugs on each cable and connect them with a standard cat6 connector block, with a separate connector for the shield (even easier to disconnect to unstep the mast).

3. Splice (solder) the connector back on the cut cable and then add a male to male adapter to connect it to the uncut radar cable.

I am leaning towards option 2 because it will require the least amount of separating the twisted pairs and removal of the shield. Option 1 would be easiest but also require greater separation of wires from the twisted pairs and greater removal of the shield. Option 3 would require greater untwisting to be able to get shrink wrap on each wire and would have 3 connections. 

I would appreciate feedback/recommendations regarding these options or any other options. Also, for options 1 & 2 would the wires be connected color for color or would a crossover be necessary?

Thanks!

Views: 1148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brad,

For the benefit of other owner's of mast mounted radar systems viewing this discussion, I'll open the response by providing the best practice for such installations.  Please note that Raymarine offers RayNet Cables and Digital Radar Cables featuring a RJ45 plug for applications in which the RayNet (F) plugs cannot be chased.  Also, when chasing cables through tight spaces, best practices include:

• if possible, do not cut plugs off of cables
  • when determining the direction to chase cables, chase the smallest connector of the cable
  • chase the cable(s) featuring the largest connector(s) before chasing other cables ... if cables are already run though low clearance areas, you may want to consider temporarily removing these cables from the low clearance area until you have chased the cable(s) having the largest connectors
  • if RJ45 plugs are to be installed, be certain to use shielded RJ45 plugs
  • if more than one binnacle tube is supporting the binnacle, use both tubes

In order to use an a/c/e/gS-Series MFD's radar features, the MFD must be interfaced to a Digital or HD Digital Radome or HD/SuperHD Open Array Radar Scanner.  The bolt patterns of the Digital or HD Digital Radomes are identical to those of the analog radomes which had been designed for use with the C-Series Classic MFDs, E-Series Classic MFDs (E80, E120), and hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar Displays.  Likewise, bolt patterns of the HD/Super HD Open Array Radar Scanners are identical to those of the analog open array radar scanners which had been designed for use with the C-Series Classic MFDs, E-Series Classic MFDs (E80, E120), and hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar Displays.  

Digital Radar Cable should not be cut.  A Digital Radar Extension Cable (2.5m (A92141D), 5m (A55080D, or 10m (A55081D)) should be chased from the Digital Radome's power / communications interface port to the base of the mast.  This will permit the Digital Radar Extension Cable to be quickly and cleanly disconnected from the vessel's wiring should the mast be removed.  The Digital Radar Extension Cable will be connected to an appropriate length of Digital Radar Cable w/RayNet plug (5m (A80227), 10m (A80228), 15m (A80229), 25m (A80230)) .  A Digital Radar Extension Cable would not typically be used on a power boat unless mounted on an arch or tower would was intended to be removed.  In most power boat installations, the Digital Radar Cable will be plugged directly into the Digital Radome's power / communications interface port.  The Digital Radar Cable in turn be interfaced to power and to the RayNet port of the MFD.  Alternatively, the Digital Radar Cable may be interfaced to an A80007 HS5 RayNet Network Switch which will in turn be interfaced to the RayNet port of the MFD via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.  The latter method would typically be employed if the MFD lacks sufficient RayNet Network interfaces to alone support interfacing all other devices featuring a RayNet/SeaTalkhs/Ethernet interface (ex. other a/c/e/gS-Series MFDs, RMK-9, CP100/CP200/CP300/450C Sounder Module, Digital/HD Digital/SuperHD radar scanners, IP Cameras, thermal camera, Fusion Marine stereos, etc.).

Given the scenario which you have specified, it is recommended that option 2 be used and that a shielded RJ45 plug be used to terminate the RayNet Cable ... do not cross over the cable's communications pairs.  The RJ45 Plug of RayNet Cable may then be mated to the RayNet (F) plug of the Digital Radar via an assembly constructed from the following:

• A80247 RJ45 (F) to RayNet (F) Adaptor
  • A80162 RayNet (M) to RayNet (M) Cable Joiner

My radar  stopped working and I found a small Nick in my cable. Seeing that I could not get access to the place where the cable was run, I decided to open the cable to see how many wires were cut. Luckily there was only one so I Soldered them together and my radar is working. I realize that Ray Marine does not recommend list but I am starting to think that it is in their own interest to recommend replacing a cable. Just my two cents on this thread.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Donald Evans replied to Bruce Bayne's discussion Wiring a RayStar 125 to NMEA 0183
"Regarding the NMEA side of an RS125, as it can transmit NMEA data when correctly wired, does this also mean you can wire a standard NMEA GPS receiver to the same point?"
Oct 13
Mark Van Thillo replied to Tim Sheesley's discussion RD418HD parts needed parts diagram?
"Hello, I need to replace the insides of my radar RD418HD and don't need to replace the cover. is their a part number for this? Thank you for your help. Mark"
Oct 9
Jim Pra liked Jon Fitch's discussion Waypoint/route upload to new e series MFD
Oct 4
Joseph J. Job liked Joseph J. Job's profile
Oct 1
Donald Evans replied to Scott A Crego's discussion NMEA0183 (R08004) for my A65
"llllll"
Sep 23
"Replacement NMEA cables are to be found here: http://www.gps-galore.co.uk/?product_cat=nmea-0183-cable What happened? did someone scrub the link off? There are so many people out there that can't afford to buy new plotters. Please leave it on…"
Sep 23
Sep 23
James Riley updated their profile
Sep 16
Stephen Gwyn replied to John M Busciglio's discussion ST1000+ ST2000+ Autopilot PARTS needed
"I had the same problem with the ram tube spinning. I opened up the case to find circular bits of plastic at the bottom of the case. I made a bushing to fit between 4. the lead screw drive pulley and 7 the gear box support plate out some food…"
Sep 14
walt hoover replied to walt hoover's discussion autopilots
"I'm now installing the autopilot type 2 pump. When connecting into the steering system can I just tee into the three hydraulic lines or is there a different circut setup. My instruction sheet has me a bit stumped because it shows the pump…"
Sep 10
David Lane updated their profile
Aug 29
dave abrams replied to Erik Hillenmeyer's discussion NMEA GPS to DSC VHF connection
"My set up is all raymarine, S6002 autopilot and an A70 display.  how can I connect my dsc vhf to pick up the gps signal?  hopefully I can do this on the pedistile and not have to run wires back to th computer.  plas keep it simple if…"
Aug 18
Gregory S******* updated their profile
Aug 10
Folkmeister replied to Mikael H's discussion Show vessels name from AIS
"Reactivating this old thread -   My prior boat had an e7 and AIS650 which worked great, vessel names were displayed with target info.  My new boat has older e80 and e120 plotters.  We have just installed AIS, but the vast majority of…"
Aug 10
Carol Shores updated their profile
Aug 8
Jorge Chubretovich updated their profile
Aug 3

© 2018   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service