ST5000 Plus Auotopilot using linear rudder reference on a pair of outboards.
No rudder reference is displayed while in standby mode. Shows up when in auto mode, but does not track correctly. No warnings or error message displayed. Heading is correct.
Disconnected and measured for resistance.
Red to green shows 5K
Red to blue shows 2.5K
Green to blue shows 2.7k

Reconnected all connections, still no rudder reference.
What should I try next?

Views: 1510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rekindling old thread - ST5000+ rudder indicator suddenly disappeared in Standby mode this season (it shows when Auto is engaged).  Had re-power done over winter so a lot of activity in engine room, could be a coincidence, but would like to know what steps to take to troubleshoot.  Are there step by step instructions to try the dealer setup fix Frank used above?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

I replaced the rudder position rode on the outboards.
You might want to check wiring around that arrea.

Update-went in to Dealer Setup and changed Pilot type to Sail (mine is Hydro), exited and turned off, went back in and changed back to Hydro, still no indicator showing.  Removed unit and tested wires- Red/Green shows 4.7, Red/Blue and Green/Blue both showed 4.95 constant, even through lock to lock turns.  Not sure what else to try, will sea trial later today to confirm AP is functioning properly in AUTO mode.  

FYI-Unit is installed on twin Mercruiser I/O with Hydraulic steering, set up for Hydro mode and has worked flawlessly up to this point.  Rudder Indicator is important guage, especially for docking.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kyle,

I suggest you call into Tech support while at your helm and have the tech talk you through the sequence that I tried to explain in my post. I don't totally recall all the steps, but I do remember that it was quite easy and ended in successfully displaying the rudder position in standby mode. Your symptoms sound exactly like the ones I had, and I'm pretty confident they will be able to talk you through this.

Frank

Kyle said:

Update-went in to Dealer Setup and changed Pilot type to Sail (mine is Hydro), exited and turned off, went back in and changed back to Hydro, still no indicator showing.  Removed unit and tested wires- Red/Green shows 4.7, Red/Blue and Green/Blue both showed 4.95 constant, even through lock to lock turns.  Not sure what else to try, will sea trial later today to confirm AP is functioning properly in AUTO mode.  

FYI-Unit is installed on twin Mercruiser I/O with Hydraulic steering, set up for Hydro mode and has worked flawlessly up to this point.  Rudder Indicator is important guage, especially for docking.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback Frank.  I finally contacted Tech support Friday while at the helm.  First person was not able to help and basically told me system is out of date and probably not repairable but didn't have one in front of them to try to walk me through.  He then passed me on to someone else who he said would be more familiar and naturally all I got was his voicemail.  Here we are 2 business days later and I haven't heard anything from them so I'm still where I started.  At least the AP works while engaged in AUTO mode.

Kyle,

I seem to recall that when I first tried changing the pilot type, I did not press and hold (for 2 seconds) the standby button as required to exit and save the change. Fortunately, the guy I had on the phone caught my error, and the second time I tried, I exited correctly, allowing me to save the change, and ultimately fix the missing rudder bar mystery. I'm hoping that maybe you made the same error???

Frank

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Steve Yama replied to son nguyen's discussion Part No. for Auto pilot Pump M81120 Type 1 12V
"Did you ever find your seal?  My pump is starting to leak also between the pump and motor.  Not a lot but getting to be a nuisance."
Oct 17

© 2017   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service