Hello

I'm about to install new electronics to a 26 foot boat with Volvo D4-260A-B stern drive (DPH-A) diesel engine. The boat is model year 2006 and has Raymarine C80/GPS125 and ST30 bidata installed. The current plotter and GPS will be removed.

To the questions:

1. Is the EV-200 (T70157) the best choice for 26 foot / 260hp boat with hydraulic steering?

2. One of the new components would be ECI-100. As far as i know it (+autopilot) can't control the clutch or throttle of this engine. Am I right? The engine is electronic (Volvo EVC). In our case it would only be for viewing engine data on the MFD?

3. Let's assume that the stern drive has Volvos rudder reference sensor installed and we install the EVC-100. Would the autopilot then get the rudder info trough EVC-100? Or would we need to swap the volvo reference unit for the rudder angle unit included in the autopilot package?

4. I've created a diagram for installation using Microsoft Visio. Do any of you see any problems / mistakes with it? Any recommendations? See attached file: visio

Thanks, Janne

Views: 2424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Janne,

Q1) Is the EV-200 (T70157) the best choice for 26 foot / 260hp boat with hydraulic steering?

A1) The correct autopilot for this configuration would be the EV-DBW Raymarine Part# T70164 of which utilizes an EV-2 core sensor.

Q2) One of the new components would be ECI-100. As far as i know it (+autopilot) can't control the clutch or throttle of this engine. Am I right? The engine is electronic (Volvo EVC). In our case it would only be for viewing engine data on the MFD?

A2) Yes, with the use of the ECI-100 it can't control the throttle or clutch but with the integration of the c95 along with the ECI-100 and the EV-DBW you not only will be able to view the engine data but also control the autopilot through the c95 MFD.

Q3) Let's assume that the stern drive has Volvos rudder reference sensor installed and we install the ECI-100. Would the autopilot then get the rudder info trough ECI-100 Or would we need to swap the volvo reference unit for the rudder angle unit included in the autopilot package?

A3) The rudder reference in this case is virtual and would come from the ECI-100 / EV-2 core sensor.

Q4) I've created a diagram for installation using Microsoft Visio. Do any of you see any problems / mistakes with it? Any recommendations? See attached file: visio

A4) Given the previous statements the ACU-200 with the EV-1 becomes the EV-DBW with the EV-2. Therefore the wiring of the installation to the ACU-200 and its components go away.

But we need a pump to drive the hydraulic fluids. Does this mean that this engine already has one? I don't think so.

Looking at the manual and the pictures of the engine I found this: I think that is only for the stern drive trim? The boat is new so I haven't had time to check but I think it is like this:

And it needs to be like this:

Hi Janne,

In regards to the Raymarine autopilot in conjunction with Volvo Penta's EVC platform, it is a driven by wire system. Thus the recommendation for the EV-DBW Raymarine Part# T70164 

EVC - Electronic Vessel Control - is Volvo Penta's common electronic platform. Based on the same CAN-bus technology used in ships, planes and cars, EVC gives total integration.  All information is distributed on one CAN-bus backbone.

As to the specific's of Volvo Penta's steering system, I would have you contact your local Volvo Penta dealer.

Ok, I think i get it now. We hace EVC-C, not EVC-E. The latter has also steering with DBW, EVC-C does not.

So what about using ACU-200 with EV-2, is it possible?

Janne,

I would contact your local Volvo Penta dealer and find out exactly what system you have and the specific's of your Volvo Penta steering system. I do not know the meaning of A, B, C, D, E etc.. extensions.

I understand and I will ask Volvo, but the question I had was can EV-2 send instructions to ACU-200 or does it have to be an EV-1?

The ACU-200 requires the EV-1 core sensor.

The only Evolution autopilot that utilizes the EV-2 core sensor is the EV-DBW.

Finally got round to buying everything. Hydraulic hose to Volvo Penta was a nightmare to figure out but once I got it, the install is actually very easy. Almost plug-n-play.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

J&G Marine supply replied to Don Gulliver's discussion AIS recommissioning
"Where on the web is the procedure to reset the mmsi.  Iknow pro ais to program but how do you clear the old mmsi"
yesterday
Richard Gard liked Tom MacAllister's discussion E80 Issues
yesterday
Richard Gard liked Miguel Gonzalez del Rey's discussion E120 -E80
yesterday
Richard Gard replied to Adam Hyde's discussion New C125 won't display NMEA 0183 depth data
"subscribed"
yesterday
Richard Gard liked Adam Hyde's discussion New C125 won't display NMEA 0183 depth data
yesterday
TJ replied to Gerhard Lang's discussion CompactFlash card for E120/E80 classic series, data exchange waypoints and routes
"FAT 32 or 16 the compatibility tool is gone now."
Saturday
Tim Turner replied to Tim Turner's discussion ST60+ Wind
"will that transducer work with a st50?"
Jul 2
Jan-Erik replied to Jan-Erik's discussion New boat with all Raymarine electronics
Jun 29
Tony O replied to Brad's discussion Rejoining cut Raynet cable for radar
"My radar  stopped working and I found a small Nick in my cable. Seeing that I could not get access to the place where the cable was run, I decided to open the cable to see how many wires were cut. Luckily there was only one so I Soldered them…"
Jun 25
Jindrich Dokonal replied to Robert Dahn's discussion ST70 Plus Power Cable
"Hi, How can I purchase a power cable for my ST70+plus display? Best regards, Henry"
Jun 25
Tom replied to Tom's discussion Pink "jelly fish" like icon meaning on chart
"I returned and got a picture. What does it mean?https://i.imgur.com/Du4JdEL.jpg"
Jun 19
Lasse Åhlander updated their profile
Jun 16
Russell Herbert updated their profile
Jun 14
Jim Donald updated their profile
Jun 13
marcelo wainer replied to marcelo wainer's discussion Smart Pilot x-5
"Hello. I have a Smart Pilot X-5 and when is in AUTO its change the course always to port side and in 2 minuters its lost the way. I made the seatrial and recalibrate the compass but the problem persists. What can I do.?Thank you very much."
Jun 11
Michael Pappert updated their profile
Jun 3

© 2018   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service