Hope this question is in the right Forum;

1.  When connecting ST60 via SeaTalk1 to E90, what is the SOG value on the E90 ? GPS or paddlewheel?  How do I know?

2. Does the E90 output SOG over its NMEA 0183?  Which value, from E90 or ST60?

I would like to connect an engine monitor that has speed data input capabilities (NMEA only) to read the paddlewheel SOG (not GPS), in order to display actual gph.  I do most of my boating in the Niagara River that has a 3-4mph current, so GPS SOG will never be accurate.

thanks for your help.

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Andy,

Raymarine systems report two types of speed ... speed through water (this is the SPEED data item) and GPS Speed Over Ground (this is the SOG data item).  The SPEED data item is populated by an instrument for fishfinder device which is in turn interfaced to a paddlewheel transducer.  

Q1.  When connecting ST60 via SeaTalk1 to E90, what is the SOG value on the E90 ? GPS or paddlewheel?  How do I know?

A1: SOG will always be GPS SOG.  SPEED will always be Speed Through Water.

Q2. Does the E90 output SOG over its NMEA 0183?  Which value, from E90 or ST60?

A2: The E90W will minimally output GPS SOG.  However, should the system be interfaced to an instrument for fishfinder device which is in turn interfaced to a paddlewheel transducer, then the system will transmit both of these data items.

Q3: I would like to connect an engine monitor that has speed data input capabilities (NMEA only) to read the paddlewheel SOG (not GPS), in order to display actual gph.  I do most of my boating in the Niagara River that has a 3-4mph current, so GPS SOG will never be accurate.

A3: See the response to Q2.  Should your not desire to have the E90W transmits SOG, then the MFD's NMEA 0183 Output Settings may configured accordingly ... simply configure the MFD to not transmit sentences featuring the SOG data item.  Information concerning NMEA 0183 sentence content may be found within the Internet

So far, so good.  I could hook up the ST60, that has a paddlewheel transducer, to the E90w using SeaTalk1 to either the ST data connection or SeaTalkNG.  Any preference?

The engine monitor is a Cummins ED-3, that has NMEA (0183 I assume) RX pin5 & 6.  If the ED-3 reads GPS SOG, then the NMEA output from the MFD has to be configured as described above; if it reads speed only, then I'm set; do I have it right?

Andy,

If not installing a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit, then the ST60 instrument should be interfaced to a 12VDC power source and to the SeaTalk, not SeaTalkng, leads of the MFD's Power/Data/Video Input Cable.  I would recommend using SeaTalkng, as it would then mean that the data will be available to the Cummins system irrespective of whether your MFD was switched ON.

Based upon the description from the Cummins documentation, the Cummins equipment appears that it will use either GPS SOG or Speed (through water).  If you don't want it to use GPS SOG, then simply disable the corresponding sentences within the MFD's NMEA Output settings.

Since I only have the ST60 & E90w, I will connect them using the MFD cable; easier and cheaper.  The only other instruments I'm considering adding is an autopilot and this may or may not require SeaTalk-ng.

Great Forum, I appreciate all the help.  Now, when the ice melts on Lake Erie, I will test my installation and report back...maybe in July...

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Frank Thalhauser replied to P's discussion No rudder reference displayed
"Kyle, I seem to recall that when I first tried changing the pilot type, I did not press and hold (for 2 seconds) the standby button as required to exit and save the change. Fortunately, the guy I had on the phone caught my error, and the second time…"
13 hours ago
Kyle replied to P's discussion No rudder reference displayed
"Thanks for the feedback Frank.  I finally contacted Tech support Friday while at the helm.  First person was not able to help and basically told me system is out of date and probably not repairable but didn't have one in front of them…"
yesterday
Russell Herbert replied to Dave's discussion C80 and WiFi
"I have a C90W I am replacing it with a c127. Wiring is easy except the NMEA is a little confusing. The C90W has 10 or more wires and the c127 only 6. Assuming they wire to the VHF and maybe another. I see 4 white wires going into a 2"x3"…"
yesterday
Stephen L Jones updated their profile
Saturday
Joel Hjelseth replied to Joel Hjelseth's discussion Raymarine Dragonfly 7 malfunction
"Sounds even worse than mine. Suggest you do as they suggest and take it to an approved Raymarine dealer."
Jun 14
Doug Stevens replied to Joel Hjelseth's discussion Raymarine Dragonfly 7 malfunction
"Thanks for your reply. Mine kicks off at 6 mph. I have moved it to three different places and same results."
Jun 14
Joel Hjelseth replied to Joel Hjelseth's discussion Raymarine Dragonfly 7 malfunction
"No. Still broke. Have not sent it to be checked by RayMarine. The only other possibility is that I have the transducer mounted on the left side of the propeller rather than the right side as recommended."
Jun 14
Doug Stevens replied to Joel Hjelseth's discussion Raymarine Dragonfly 7 malfunction
"Mine is doing the same thing.  Did you get this fixed? If so, what did you do? Thank you for your help."
Jun 14
Andy Barbasch updated their profile
Jun 13
Tom Aydelotte replied to John Pecora's discussion DSM300 Made in Mexico
"Just learned of this replacement program. Several years ago I spent multiple hours trying to figure out my DSM300 inconsistencies... is there any program still available to solve this issue?"
Jun 11
Bernie liked Mark Leavitt's discussion Lighthouse Charts
Jun 7
Bernie updated their profile
Jun 7
Istvan bindisch liked Mark Leavitt's discussion Lighthouse Charts
Jun 6
Fred Collins updated their profile
Jun 6
Frank Thalhauser replied to P's discussion No rudder reference displayed
"Hi Kyle, I suggest you call into Tech support while at your helm and have the tech talk you through the sequence that I tried to explain in my post. I don't totally recall all the steps, but I do remember that it was quite easy and ended…"
Jun 5
Brad Martinsen replied to Brian Stinson's discussion i60 Wind Indicator.
"Sure would be nice to have a choice of using SOG or STW. Like I had on my old NAVman Wind that i just replaced with an I60. Hardly use STW were i am."
Jun 4

© 2017   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service