CompactFlash card for E120/E80 classic series, data exchange waypoints and routes

Hello!

I have the E120/E80 classic MFDs and want to import waypoints and routes from the Voyage Planer pc programe.

Does the SanDisk Ultra II 256 MB CompactFlash card work with the E-Serie Classic MFD without any special preparation?

Do I have to format the CF card with FAT16 or FAT32 on my pc or can the CF card used like delivered by the manufacturer without new formatation?

Got the information that testing the CF card with the compatibily check program of raymarine is not reliable and the tool works only with Windows XP (I have windows7).

Raymarine says that only older SanDisk CF Cards with a capacity between 32MB and 256MB can be used with the MFD E-Serie classic. On the other site Navionics sells Platinum plus CF card suitable for E-Serie classic that has a capacity of 16 GB. Where is the difference?

Have to prepare the reliable data import with waypoints und routes to the E-Classic MFD over CF card for a trip next month and can not test the CF card in the MFD before that. 

Views: 3212

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Gerhard,

Click here to download the Compact Flash Compatibility Tool executable.  Please note that this tool has been removed from Raymarine's website because: 

• it has produced unreliable results, particularly with, but not limited to, CF memory cards having memory capacity exceeding the 256MB
  • it is only compatible with Windows XP

Raymarine's C/E-Series Classic MFDs (C70, C80, C120) and A-Series MFDs (A50, A50D, A57D, A70, A70D) are designed to be easily updated using one's computer, a CF memory card reader, and a SanDisk brand Standard Grade 32MB - 256MB CF memory card.  These same CF memory cards may be used to archive waypoint, route, and track data.  Prior experience with the SanDisk brand Ultra-II CF memory memory cards have yielded mixed results are possible.  Sandisk brand Standard Grade 32MB - 256MB CF memory cards are now challenging to locate. 

Raymarine posts MFD software updates on its Customer Support web site and recommends that customers ensure that their products have been updated with the latest available software.  Should one not already possess a CF memory which is compatible with one's MFD, then it is strongly recommended that the memory card be purchased, as the same CF memory card may not only be used in conjunction with any future software updates, but may also be used to back up one's waypoint/route/track data which is recommended practice to avoid accidental loss of this data.  One last reason for purchasing a compatible CF memory card is that these cards are becoming increasing challenging to locate in the marketplace.

NOTE: After years of offering CF memory cards which had been populated with software update files for Raymarine products, Raymarine suspended the option to purchase such cards at the end of 2011.  The supply of low capacity CF memory cards available within the market place has been rapidly shrinking due to the increased memory capacity requirements and/or memory card form factor requirements of today's electronic devices.  This shortage of small capacity CF memory cards has made it impractical for Raymarine to continue purchasing compatible CF memory cards in the quantities required to support customer demand for memory card which have been populated with software update files.  Should one desire to update the software oneself, then it is recommended that the Internet be searched for the following key words:  SanDisk, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, and 256MB, as it is unlikely that one will be able to obtain such cards through local merchants.  We have also recently learned that one of our dealers, Radar Marine (360.733.2012) has an inventory of small capacity memory card and is selling memory cards which will be populated with software update files per the purchaser's request. Alternatively, customers may contact a certified Raymarine installer to perform the software update(s) or may send their product(s) to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to have software update(s) performed.  Raymarine's Product Repair Center will typically charge the posted bench check fee to perform software updates to Raymarine equipment. 

Hello!

You wrote: "Should one desire to update the software oneself, then it is recommended that the Internet be searched for the following key words:  SanDisk, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, and 256MB...."

Question:

Do you mean SanDisk CF Cards of Type I and NOT SanDisk brand Ultra-II CF Cards?

Gerhard,

As indicated within my last response, prior experience with the SanDisk brand Ultra-II CF memory memory cards have yielded mixed results, particularly in conjunction with software updates.  The MFDs are generally more accepting of CF memory cards used for waypoint/route/track archiving.  If the boat were nearby or should you have a dealer nearby with access to a C-Series Classic MFD, then I would recommend testing your CF card with the MFD.  However should you have an old chart card, you may want to try using it for the software update and for waypoint/route transfer.

What I tried to find out is, do CF Cards type II fit into the Cardslot or not. As everyone know, the type I has 3.2mm thicknes and the type II 5mm thickness.

All the SD Card Adapters, I found, has 5mm thickness.

Additional to the discussion 256MB or more. I got my MFD supplied in 2011 with the Software Version 4.XX and a Navionics CF Chart with 512MB. It works without any problems.

Hi Tom,

Type I only. Type II will not fit.

The storage size restriction of the card on our classic machines only pertains to the upgrading the software or backing up waypoints, routes & tracks. Not the actual CF card that the cartography is supplied on by navionics.

FAT 32 or 16

the compatibility tool is gone now.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

J&G Marine supply replied to Don Gulliver's discussion AIS recommissioning
"Where on the web is the procedure to reset the mmsi.  Iknow pro ais to program but how do you clear the old mmsi"
yesterday
Richard Gard liked Tom MacAllister's discussion E80 Issues
yesterday
Richard Gard liked Miguel Gonzalez del Rey's discussion E120 -E80
yesterday
Richard Gard replied to Adam Hyde's discussion New C125 won't display NMEA 0183 depth data
"subscribed"
yesterday
Richard Gard liked Adam Hyde's discussion New C125 won't display NMEA 0183 depth data
yesterday
TJ replied to Gerhard Lang's discussion CompactFlash card for E120/E80 classic series, data exchange waypoints and routes
"FAT 32 or 16 the compatibility tool is gone now."
Saturday
Tim Turner replied to Tim Turner's discussion ST60+ Wind
"will that transducer work with a st50?"
Jul 2
Jan-Erik replied to Jan-Erik's discussion New boat with all Raymarine electronics
Jun 29
Tony O replied to Brad's discussion Rejoining cut Raynet cable for radar
"My radar  stopped working and I found a small Nick in my cable. Seeing that I could not get access to the place where the cable was run, I decided to open the cable to see how many wires were cut. Luckily there was only one so I Soldered them…"
Jun 25
Jindrich Dokonal replied to Robert Dahn's discussion ST70 Plus Power Cable
"Hi, How can I purchase a power cable for my ST70+plus display? Best regards, Henry"
Jun 25
Tom replied to Tom's discussion Pink "jelly fish" like icon meaning on chart
"I returned and got a picture. What does it mean?https://i.imgur.com/Du4JdEL.jpg"
Jun 19
Lasse Åhlander updated their profile
Jun 16
Russell Herbert updated their profile
Jun 14
Jim Donald updated their profile
Jun 13
marcelo wainer replied to marcelo wainer's discussion Smart Pilot x-5
"Hello. I have a Smart Pilot X-5 and when is in AUTO its change the course always to port side and in 2 minuters its lost the way. I made the seatrial and recalibrate the compass but the problem persists. What can I do.?Thank you very much."
Jun 11
Michael Pappert updated their profile
Jun 3

© 2018   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service