Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconThomas, Jason Marcus, Douglas Goldhirsch and 19 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
15 seconds ago
David Gerhardt posted a discussion

Scanner Not Responding

I have an RL70C that indicates 'Scanner Not Responding' when switching to the Radar screen from the Chartplotter screen.  As soon as I start the engine the Radar will 'warm up' and function normally.  As a result of reading some posts related to this problem I am assuming that the voltage is not sufficient.  Can I also assume that, as a result of the 'extra kick' from the batteries when the engine is running, it also sounds like low voltage?  There are a lot of wires associated with the…See More
1 minute ago
Harry Bourden posted a discussion

Raymarine auto pilot issue

I have a C80 raymarine chartplotter and a ST6001 autopilot. I am having trouble swinging my compass so i can integrate the autopilot compass with my chartplotter gps setting. I have made the circles with my boat and I did not get any declination reading at all? Any suggestions would be appreciated.regardsHarrySee More
2 minutes ago
Bruce P Anderson posted a discussion

ST6000 went blank

Out sailing and our ST6000 went blank - no more AP.  We have been testing the entire system and the sea talk all seem good but when the ST6000 is cabled directly to the SPX30 it beeps but there is no display.  The red wire is 13.2 and the yellow is .8 and rising slowly to as much as 2.3.  Any clue where the problem might be?  Still trying to troubleshoot this one.  We have checked all fuses so that is not the problem.  Any help much appreciated.See More
2 minutes ago
Chris Falvey posted a discussion

NMEA 2000

Raymarine,Could you please let me know which cable and connectors I would need to purchase from you to allow me to use the data from my ST60+ wind instrument and E66013 / E63074 speed and depth transducer to a Zeus2 chartplotter. I have the ST60+ and tranducer connected to a e7D which is my primary chart plotter but have a secondary chart plotter in the Zeus2 that I use for radar and would like to be able to have wind speed and direction along with depth and speed going to the Zeus2 as well.…See More
3 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Bill libby's discussion I60 Wind Transducer Cable Dimensions.
"The OD of the masthead, 5 conductor shielded cable, is 1.75". "
9 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to alejandro Zarich's discussion Vmg reading in i60 close haul different from the Vmg reading in my i70
"I would need more information on the system.  What else is in the system besides the i70 and i60 CH?  "
16 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Marvin's discussion a75 wifi problem
"Marvin, From the standpoint describing blurry appearance the screen, we need to get at the root of whether there is a problem with the MFD's LCD, the MFD's memory card reader, or whether there is an operational issue.   If the…"
19 minutes ago
Marvin replied to Marvin's discussion a75 wifi problem
"This unit worked fine the first two times I went out on the water, but the third time started having these issues, the blurry screen is with the Naviontic gold chip installed, the dark picture is with the Litehouse internal. "
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Fred Fink's discussion i70 water temp
"What is the transducer that is connected to the DSM300?"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Rick frank's discussion Ev 200 to c80
"What is the ram model number at the stern?  I am trying to get a capacity of the system."
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Matt Jacobs's discussion SPX10 and incorrect heading
"OK, then I would have to recommend that the course computer SPX-10 be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician for repair. Raymarine Service Center 9 Townsend West Nashua, NH 03063   Include in the box: Name Daytime…"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Scott Anderson's discussion st5000
"The HC5313 has a RAM capacity of 8.3 cubic inches, so that would confirm that you are using a TYPE 1 hydraulic pump with the ST5000 control unit.  You will be able to use the existing TYPE 1 hydraulic drive and upgrade the ST5000 to the current…"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Piotr Sernicki's discussion Ev1 with B&G zeus2 MFD
"How is the system connected?  A NO PILOT, DRIVE STOP error has to do with the system loosing communication between the autopilot components.  NO PILOT - Control head does not seeing connection with the EV-1 and ACU-100.  DRIVE STOP -…"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Timothy G Hyatt's discussion Auto Pilot ST8002 engines are wagging when engaged.
"What is the course computer and drive you are using in the system?"
2 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Doug Martin's discussion Start up issues with c125
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Doug, It is recommended that all memory cards be removed from the MFD's memory card reader and that the MFD then be powered ON via the breaker.  Should the problem persist, then it is recommended…"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service