Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

William Finn replied to William Finn's discussion AIS950 No GPS
"Yes, defective antenna, a replacement antenna installed and it is working fine now."
1 hour ago
R. Clarke replied to Phil Shields's discussion SiriusXM SR150 problems
"8 days, or so... "
8 hours ago
TJ replied to DAVID PRITCHARD's discussion Commissioning P70 autopilot
"That 188 degrees means that the deviation is too high. You need to move the EV-1 sensor and try again. http://www.raymarine.eu/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=9871 Take a look at this and will illustrate what I wrote above."
10 hours ago
Wayne Romberg replied to Wayne Romberg's discussion ST60+ wind instrument
"I did the Mast head test today, 8-20-2014. The results are below: The reading were taken at the  terminal strip at the base of the mast; Red to shield should read 8 volts DC steady. This is the masthead power supply, coming from the…"
11 hours ago
Peter A. Hornby replied to Peter A. Hornby's discussion Interfacing a 2010 suzuki outboard to an a75 MFD
"Today I got what I needed to interface my 2010 Suzuki DF 175 to my 2014 Raymarine A75 MFD.   I used the Suzuki engine interface cable, the Raymarine adapter cable (NMEA 2000 to SeaTalkng) and a cable I made up to adapt the Suzuki Interface…"
11 hours ago
Peter Capobianco replied to Peter Capobianco's discussion AIS Reprogram
"The system was on and operational for over 3 hours last night. Checked it again and here's what we have: Call sign WDH3140 MMSI 367533420 Output GNSS Sentences: GGA and GLL are checked NMEA 1 Baud Rate 38400, NMEA 2 Baud Rate 4800 GNSS…"
12 hours ago
martin raphael replied to martin raphael's discussion Software update for i70
"Oops...I see I failed to read the readme file and I did not open the folders first.  I'll try again... Sorry for the false alarm."
14 hours ago
martin raphael replied to martin raphael's discussion Software update for i70
"I attempted to apply the upgrade, but nothing happened when I booted up my e7 - I inserted the sd chip with the files, powered up the e7, and it just started normally with no indication of any actions being taken.  Any suggestions?"
15 hours ago
Greg Salsburg replied to Greg Salsburg's discussion Is it possible to upgrade an E140w to a cp450 with chirp?
"Thank you for the quick response.  I currently have a 1 kw thru hull transducer that is bad and with your new clarification, I will be replacing (the B-260) with another one.  Our boat also has Volvo IPS and I heard depending on transducer…"
16 hours ago
Profile IconDave Ibbitson, Dan Roy, Dennis Earley and 12 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
16 hours ago
DAVID PRITCHARD posted a discussion

Commissioning P70 autopilot

After help from the Moderator in a previous discussion I have successfully installed a replacement P70 pilot, EVO and ACU 200 interfaced to my existing C120 plotter.  I have updated the C120 s/w to V 5.16.When doing the seatrial part of the commissioning the compass calibration does not look correct. When the compass calibration procedure completes I get a screen message saying "maximum deviation 188 deg", followed by a green checkmark.   This does not make sense to me. When I ran the function…See More
16 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Richard's discussion Raymarine A97
"Richard, Should you have replaced the transducer with one which was compatible with the V720, then this transducer would not be compatible with the a97 MFD. "
16 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Torkel Jodalen's discussion Tidal graph - easy access?
"Torkel, Your feature request has been noted and will be logged."
16 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Greg Salsburg's discussion Is it possible to upgrade an E140w to a cp450 with chirp?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Greg, Unfortunately, you have either been incorrectly advised of have misunderstood the advice provided to you.  The CP450C is not compatible with the E-Series Widescreen MFD (E90W, E120W, E140W) and…"
16 hours ago
Greg Salsburg posted a discussion

Is it possible to upgrade an E140w to a cp450 with chirp?

I am getting some conflicting information and would greatly appreciate some clarification.  Our Boat has 2 x E140W's and 1 X E 90 currently with a thru hull 1 kw transducer (a B-260 I believe) and a DSM 300 sounder module.  The transducer has failed and needs to be replaced and I would love to upgrade to the Chirp technology.  We do quite a bit of fishing and I need to be able to see bottom in slightly more than 2000 feet.  We also do quite a bit of fishing in shallow water 50-300 feet.  With…See More
16 hours ago
Torkel Jodalen replied to Torkel Jodalen's discussion Tidal graph - easy access?
"How much I wish for that feature to be accessible as an icon directly from the user-configurable "home screen". HOME -> "tile"/icon leading to graph for nearest tidal station would be a great asset."
16 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service