Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Jean Gauthier replied to Jean Gauthier's discussion SR50 SiriusXM interface
"Could the fatal error be caused by the fact I copied the two files without unzipping them? The unzipped version is slightly bigger than the zipped one."
12 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Carlos A Figueroa's discussion MFD A78, VHF RAY50 and Fusion 205... What do I need to have thsoe interconnected?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Carlos, An a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD must be updated with v14.36 or later a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software to support communications with a Fusion RA-205 marine stereo unit.  NMEA 2000 devices are designed…"
18 minutes ago
Tony O updated their profile
40 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Joe G.'s discussion c series 97
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Joe, When switching the MFD OFF, the MFD's power button must be held pressed until the Raymarine - LightHouse splash screen is display and must be released before this dialog is cleared from the…"
42 minutes ago
Ed Collins replied to Ed Collins's discussion Voyage Planner Route Creation
"Thanks for the response. While I understand why you want to migrate users away from the discontinued Raytech Planner and Raytech Navigator to Voyage Planner I don't understand why archive.fsh support was removed from Lighthouse. In…"
46 minutes ago
Tony O replied to Tony O's discussion dsm 300 - the saga continues
"I just dropped the unit off to UPS and I was told by Raymarine that it could take a week to 10 days to get back. Any dsm300 manufactured in Mexico is recalled. So, I will have to guess where the wrecks and bottom is for the next couple weeks, but at…"
49 minutes ago
Rich Williams replied to Rich Williams's discussion e127: relocating and enlarging a databox
"Thanks for the reply.  Disappointing since my (2 or 3 generations older) displays had the ability to relocate data boxes.  Depth is such a critical factor to track for a fisherman and also a safety factor when fishing in shallower water.…"
53 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Don's discussion E140-W loses sonar
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Tony, Please click here to view the form discussion in which I had previously addressed troubleshooting the DSM30/300 in conjunction with an E-Series Widescreen MFD (E90W, E120W, E140W).  …"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Rich Williams's discussion e127: relocating and enlarging a databox
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Rich, Unfortunately, the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs do not presently support the feature which you have inquired about.  You may want to consider adding items which you would like to appear near the top of…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Bob Kurtz's discussion Problem connecting e125 video out to hdtv
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Bob, When interfacing a TV to a video input source such as your MFD, the TV to be chosen must support the video output signal format supported by the MFD.  The video signal format output by the e-Series…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Graham Kastendike's discussion Can a ES127 fit the same bezel as the e127 series to replace two E120 chartplotters
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Graham, Q1) Will the ES 127 fit the retrofit bezel for the E127 to fit in the same space as the E120? A1) Unfortunately, no.  Please click here to access the eS127 MFD's installation…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Greg Dallas's discussion Question about my RL70c Plus Pathfinder
"You're welcome."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Lee Rogers's discussion A128 track length????
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Lee, Unfortunately, Raymarine's MFDs do not presently support the Tracks feature which you have requested.  A feature request has been logged to consider the addition of this feature within a future…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to john mcallister's discussion water temperature not accurate
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum John, Please click here to view a Forum discussion in which I had previously addressed this subject."
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Doug Johnston's discussion e125 MFD
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Doug, The vessel's icon's orientation and direction of the heading vector is determined by heading input to the display and the variation applied by the display.  When no heading input is…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to VITO CARNAZZA's discussion RL70C Pathfinder plus
"Vito, The Raystar 125 is either not interfaced correctly, not powered, or has failed.  Please see the attached chart addressing how a Raystar 125 GPS sensor would need to be interfaced to a RL70C display."
1 hour ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service