Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Joe replied to Joe's discussion gS MFD Software Update
"This morning I went to our boat and did another System Settings Reset, with the same result as before.  Then I tried again, but this time I did not do a Restore Settings from my SD memory card and instead reset the various system settings…"
2 hours ago
Dave Copeland replied to Dave Copeland's discussion E127 and ST6001
"Sorry for the question, I went back into the old manual and found the term "depth offset" and then searched for that in the new manual.  Thanks again."
2 hours ago
Kevin McIntosh replied to Kevin McIntosh's discussion Configuration capture matrix and s/w locking of Configuration feature request for 'e' Series MFDs
"Moderator ... just a couple of points of clarification please ... further to my s/w version / update inquiry above ... per 'Updating the a, c, e or gS Series MFD Software' and Chapter 6.19 of the User Manual (both v11…"
3 hours ago
Kevin McIntosh replied to Kevin McIntosh's discussion Software Update listings for HD424HD & RS130 GPS
"Moderator ... just a point of clarification please ... further to my s/w update inquiry above, I note the i70 Display has two different s/w packages for e Series MFDs ... from: http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=3813 there is v6…"
5 hours ago
Derick Sindell replied to Derick Sindell's discussion RL70C - Scanner not responding
"18 inch radome and I have 12 volts at the plug at the radome"
6 hours ago
Bajabum replied to Bajabum's discussion A80229 Radar Cable Bad?
"Thanks. I suspect the damaged area is right at the Raynet connector. I'll probably install an RJ45 then use an RJ45 to Raynet adapter cable."
6 hours ago
Somers replied to Somers's discussion e-series engine alarm - water in fuel
"Hello, Sorry for the delay - here is the associated file once again. As a point of clarity, I think the command line to get this file should be> powering ON all equipment, including the engines performing the following command on the data master…"
7 hours ago
Craig Davis replied to Craig Davis's discussion AIS Silent mode must be turned off from MFD
"I tested the AIS Silent mode switch with the MFD off and there are two situations that I checked. 1. With the MFD and AIS active, I switched the AIS to Silent using the added switch. It switched to Silent mode as indicated by the blue status LED on…"
17 hours ago
Craig Davis replied to Craig Davis's discussion Seatalk1 and SeatalkNG, multiple Depth transducers
"1. I reviewed the Nav Table portion of the installation and I do need the 5-way and the Converter. The third STNG port on the 5-way is occupied by the power supply connection. 3. The outcome of the AIS data feed to the VHF radio test was good. The…"
18 hours ago
"I'll try a data reset again and see if that resolves the issue.  I will let you know."
21 hours ago
Dave Copeland replied to Dave Copeland's discussion E127 and ST6001
"Thank you so much for your detailed response.  I purchased and installed the e127 and it works great.  I have one more question, On my old Raymarine and my backup Garmin I am able to enter an adjustment for the depth that results in the…"
21 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Joe's discussion gS MFD Software Update
"Joe, I fully understand the problem which you have described.  As indicated, we have v12.26 running on our systems here in the office and are not experiencing the reported problem.  Hence the problem is specific to your MFDs.…"
22 hours ago
"I'd like to return to my original comment.  Before I uploaded software update v. 12.26, I was able to power down each of my MFDs using the power button and power up the units by using the power button, all as described by…"
22 hours ago
Stephen Beard posted a discussion

ST4000+ STLK FAIL

The head on my ST4000+ constantly displays the STLK FAIL error message. I have removed the head, compass and tiller arm and have them on a bench test. The compass and tiller arm have been checked and are fine, the connections to the head are fine, there is no seatalk connection, but the error message still persists and the head is locked. Is there anything else I can try?See More
22 hours ago
Dave Carnaggio posted a discussion

Raytheon Raypilot 650

I have a Raytheon Raypilot 650 autopilot and want to add a wired or if possible a wireless remote. Would an ST600R wired remote control work with my Raypilot 650?Would a newer wireless remote work if you integrated the seatalk module?Thanks,See More
22 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Joe's discussion gS MFD Software Update
"Joe, It should only be necessary to hold the power button of the MFDs pressed for a count of two or three to power these MFDs ON.  The boot up process takes several seconds longer than that.  The power down process is as specified within…"
22 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service