Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

walt hoover replied to walt hoover's discussion Pathfinder display sizes
" "
7 minutes ago
Harry Trout posted a discussion

c-map charts

I just bought a used sailboat and it has an Autohelm ST50 Navcenter at the inside Nav Station that uses the old C-Map cartridges and an Autohelm Navcenter 600 Chartplotter that uses C-Map NT C-cards in the cockpit. They are both connected to all the other electronics using Seatalk. I am having trouble locating the C-Map Cartridges for the ST50 for the area that I am going to be sailing. Does anyone know of a good source for these cartridges? Also,  if the two units are hooked up through…See More
8 minutes ago
walt hoover replied to walt hoover's discussion Pathfinder display sizes
" "
21 minutes ago
Tom M posted a discussion

Raydata M78879 Tridata display

The display on my 1998 Tridata no longer works, and I read where it can be replaced by an ST60 or ST60+.  I also have a Raytheon chartplotter and radar, and use the Tridata mainly for Depth info. If I install an ST60+ 'Depth Only' unit, will there be any problems with the chartplotter or radar because of the different functionality of the ST60?  Also, are there any wiring or connector adaptations needed to replace the Raydata unit with the ST60?  Thanks!See More
2 hours ago
Peter Wesner replied to Peter Wesner's discussion Dragonfly Problem - Can't Find Bottom
"It's an outboard so I will connect to the negative post.  I'll let you know if there are any further issues.  Thanks."
2 hours ago
jeff willis posted a discussion

st50 tridata transducer

Hello,I purchased a 1995 boat with a ST50 Tridata display.  Depth works fine but need to know what compatible speed transducer is available?Thanks,JeffSee More
3 hours ago
Profile IconTom M, Len Birner, Deac Manross and 20 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
3 hours ago
NKO, Raymarine, US replied to James Johnston's discussion Connecting rudder angle display to sender
"Hi James,  The Z102 display you are describing seems to be a repeater only display. Usually there should be three wires on the back, two for SeaTalk (3 pin connectors) and one for the Rudder Reference Transducer.  That being said, if you…"
3 hours ago
Gary Howe replied to Gary Howe's discussion HS5 Network Switch Installation
"Okay, I see. Do you know if Furuno or Lowrance network devices will work with raymarine devices?  I have no other option for a switch as raymarine does not fit my installation."
3 hours ago
fireman_bob posted a discussion

Radar Dome is yellow. How to refurbish?

Hi, I've got a 2kW radar dome (M92650-s) on my boat that's yellowed and I would like to refurbish or replace the housing. Can I paint this and if so, what type of paint do you recommend? Also do you offer replacement advertising (Raymarine stickers)?Alternatively is a replacement housing available for this unit? If so, how much are they?Thanks,BobSee More
3 hours ago
Richard Hodges posted a discussion

Dragonfly temp adjustment

I have the new dragonfly and anxious to try it out fishing.  It has a temp sensor in the transducer and the temp is displayed on many screens.  Question: how does one adjust or correct the temp?  It appears to be close but not correct. I cannot find any screen thatnwill allow me to adjust the temp.  I need to raise the displayed temp by a half degree.  Anyone know how?  Am I missing something?  ThanksSee More
3 hours ago
Len Birner replied to Thomas Thomson's discussion Several Auto Pilot related questions...
" "
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Rob Weil's discussion Water stains on Screen
"Noted."
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Matthew Henning's discussion Pathfinder RL-70 vs RL-70c
"You're welcome."
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Gary Howe's discussion HS5 Network Switch Installation
"Gary, Raymarine products are environmentally tested (i.e. temperature, shock, water, etc.) in the orientation specified.  While the product would be expected to function in a shop environment in other orientations, performance onboard the…"
3 hours ago
NKO, Raymarine, US replied to Frederico Lopes's discussion TackTick nmea interface to improve signal
"Hello Frederico,  If the problem is reception, then either the devices are to far from the wind transmitter or the wind transmitter has an issue and needs to be serviced or you could add the T221 Wireless Mast Rotation Transmitter."
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service