Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Kurtis Morin's discussion No Navigation Data
"Kurtis, Your system list appears to be incomplete.  Like most chartplotting products, RayTech software requires GPS sensor to navigate ... no GPS sensor appears within your equipment list.   Is there is a GPS sensor and/or additional…"
28 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Randy Rice's discussion Mercury Optimax engine interface
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Tom, The first question which you will need to address is whether your engine system features SmartCraft technology.  Accordingly, it is recommended that you seek this information from Mercury Marine.…"
31 minutes ago
Profile IconMarcio Bernik, Ralph Morganstern, Mike McCargar and 4 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
54 minutes ago
Kurtis Morin posted a discussion

No Navigation Data

My problem at the moment occurs when I place a go to cursor and then press "Track" on the Auto pilot control. If I then chose a new go to cursor like when the first one is reached I get a message on the Auto pilot control that says "No Navigation Data"My system:EV-1 AutopilotRayTech 6.2 software on Windows 7Laptop connected to Raymarine network via E85001 InterfaceIf I shut down the RayTech software and reboot the laptop I can then set a go to cursor and press "Track" again and it will work but…See More
57 minutes ago
Randy Rice posted a discussion

Mercury Optimax engine interface

I have a new e7D.  Am I able to interface it with my 2000 Mercury Optimax outboard in order to receive engine data ?See More
1 hour ago
Edward J Durski posted a discussion

Apelco vhf-4500

This radio is in need of the on-off switch. Are they available . May be a circuit board with the squelch control also. Serial 211890See More
1 hour ago
Gary Carr posted a status
"my heading on the autopilot is 180 off boat compass heading"
9 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Richard Scarinzi's discussion b744v connector
"You're welcome."
11 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Larry Mainoski's discussion A78 Operation
"You're welcome."
11 hours ago
Richard Scarinzi replied to Richard Scarinzi's discussion b744v connector
"Thank you.  I understand fully.  I looked closer at the schematic for both the Raymarine and Lowrance versions of the B744V and indeed there is a wiring difference and a component difference internal to the transducer.  Specifically…"
13 hours ago
Larry Mainoski replied to Larry Mainoski's discussion A78 Operation
"Appreciate the answers. That's a lot of work on your part. Will refer to these answers when I can make time to get back on board in the near future."
14 hours ago
alejandro Zarich replied to alejandro Zarich's discussion i60 close haul working randomly
"I checked today and the failure persist. Once the system is powered on, I have to unplug the seatalkng cable and replug it to make the I60 work. If I do not do that the the small display under the needle displays -- and the needle does nothing.…"
15 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Steven Tello's discussion A65 Chartplotter "No Fix" Question
"Bob, You're welcome."
16 hours ago
Bob Billeci replied to Steven Tello's discussion A65 Chartplotter "No Fix" Question
"That's what I needed to know, thanks!"
16 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to John Tyson's discussion Depth sounder
"John, Should a new a/c/e/gS-Series MFD be installed onboard, then it may be interfaced to a CP450C.  Base upon the depth of operation and features which you are seeking to detect, high receive sensitivity transducers like the R109LM…"
16 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Steven Tello's discussion A65 Chartplotter "No Fix" Question
"Bob, Any GPS sensor other than a Raystar 12 or Raystar 125 (latter requires a software update to the MFD) will need to be interfaced to a 12VDC power circuit and to the NMEA 0183 input leads of the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable."
16 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service