Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

marc z replied to marc z's discussion Inconsistent Transducer Detection; Inconsistent wind data available.
"This is now approximately one year after I first began trying to fix this problem. in the meantime the wind pod was replaced at spring launch of the boat and it appeared that the wind direction data was being obtained.  About one month…"
2 hours ago
Larry Hemmerich replied to Larry Hemmerich's discussion AutoPilot BANGS
"i finslly got to make the measuements...all seems to OK RED TO GREEN 5K...red to blue and green to blue bothe around 2.8 K Sittil at dock all other electronics OFF IN AUTO..it moves back and forth but more eratic"
2 hours ago
John McLellan replied to John McLellan's discussion P79 transducer
"Thanks Verified all of the above with the exception of testing another transducer as I do not have access to one.  However as soon as I am in water >35 feet it works perfectly from 5knts right through to 23 knts.  As soon as I enter…"
2 hours ago
David w lyman posted a status
"Having issue with my new dragonfly 5.7. Unit froze up. I did a system reset now unit won't read navionics gps card. Any ideas?"
3 hours ago
Ren Rodee replied to Ren Rodee's discussion Wiring Configuration for Raymarine M95435 Listening / Hailing horn
"Thank you"
3 hours ago
Ray DeLeo replied to Michael Williamson's discussion ST60+ Compass - blank screen
"Thanks, I'll give that a try. "
4 hours ago
Brian Meyers replied to Kim Dingwall's discussion Ray260 VHF
"Yes - Can't just plug and play the 260  Brian, As the Ray260 does not feature a SeaTalk communications port.  It features SeaTalkng and NMEA 0183 communications ports.  Should your Ray240 have been interfaced via SeaTalk…"
4 hours ago
Ray DeLeo replied to Michael Williamson's discussion ST60+ Compass - blank screen
"I have experienced the same problem but it hasn't happened lately although now I can no longer switch to magnetic heading only true. sorry but I don't have the solution"
4 hours ago
Bradley Washburn replied to Kim Dingwall's discussion Ray260 VHF
"Have you ever got an answer to your question? I'm trying to replace 240 with 260. I've tried to pull old wire to replace, but I've had no luck. Can I solder new ends on old wires? "
4 hours ago
robert Kosheff replied to robert Kosheff's discussion Depth at speed
"Thanks for you response. Although I have only had this unit For less than a week, I lose the depth reading at any speed over 8 kts. Yesterday however I got good depth reading at all speeds in all functions. This lasted about 10 minutes and then…"
7 hours ago
Mircea Tomus replied to Mircea Tomus's discussion Raymarine X-5 on/0ff switch
"Thank you, gentlemen. All done. The autopilot recognizes the Garmin GPS and it may be switched off with a main switch on the powerline. I'll have to calibrate it on the water now. Shouldn't the autopilot get the correct heading from the…"
7 hours ago
Kurt replied to Kurt's discussion Posting nmea 183 Data to Tacktick Wireless via T122
"Update on problem. Have reduced data supplied to the T122 to one sentence transmitted at 4800 baud. Micro net consistently updates data for 10 second after micro net boot then "hangs" (displays the same data) for 5 seconds then displays no…"
7 hours ago
Paul Poswiatowski replied to Paul Poswiatowski's discussion I have a Raychart 520 and a Raystar 120 antenna and can't get it to work:
"Thank you."
7 hours ago
Fraser Bolwell replied to Fraser Bolwell's discussion A60 - WPTS pages not showing up, "Goto wpt options" all grayed out, constant beep every 4 sec
"I tried the suggested fixes from the Moderator, no luck there. What's strange is I would switch on the GPS and it wouldn't work, switch it off and on again and it would work. I tried this two more times with the same result. Not working…"
7 hours ago
Nadia Stocker posted a status
"How to connect a i60 wind system to a close hauled wind instrument"
8 hours ago
James Emigh liked James Emigh's profile
17 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service