Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

philip replied to Robert Madden's discussion How to Convert my gpx file to fsh format?
"Have a read of this link http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=9512"
12 minutes ago
Harry Kamberis replied to Russell Baine's discussion CP450C v3.09 won't update to v4.03 from my e125 v9.40
"I was having the same problem until I followed very, very carefully, step by step the diagram provided by Raymarine on how to properly install/upgrade new software.  If you follow the step by step diagram you might have better luck,…"
1 hour ago
Harry Kamberis replied to Russell Baine's discussion CP450C v3.09 won't update to v4.03 from my e125 v9.40
"  "
1 hour ago
John Wix replied to John Wix's discussion Data Source Selection
"Many thanks for following up on this. Greatly appreciated!"
1 hour ago
TJ replied to James Burgess's discussion S-1000 autopilot
"Jim, the S1000 really only needs a valid GPS signal. The quick way to test wether or not it is feeding the S1000 sufficiently, is to hit the "auto" key on the S100 remote. If the remote says, "Too Slow"" that would be good!…"
2 hours ago
Mike Deto updated their profile
2 hours ago
Mac christiansen replied to Mac christiansen's discussion Charts will not load anymore
"Sorry about that.... attribute to my newby status on the site!    All I saw was the "check to see if the card type is supported." The Plotter off/on is probably the issue.  As it could have been one the things I have messed…"
2 hours ago
adam kupiec replied to adam kupiec's discussion S100 Autopilot controller doesn't recognize EV200 Pilot
"Thank you very much for your help. I have the converter on order now and I am looking forward to being able to run my autopilot from the back deck and enjoy more fishing time."
3 hours ago
James Burgess replied to James Burgess's discussion S-1000 autopilot
"                 Finally remounted the autopilot pump and went to test it and found that my L1250-plus only turns on to the startup screen.I had the display set up for split screen sounder and chart. Does…"
3 hours ago
Antonio Macina replied to Antonio Macina's discussion Remote Keypad
"...thanks anyways for the answer."
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Paul Farrelle's discussion How to upgrade ST50, ST6001, S2 to i60, i70, p70, S2
"That is exactly correct.  The S2 and ST600R are Seatalk devices and will connect to the Yellow power on the converter and the p70 will connect directly to the Seatalk NG backbone."
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Dennis Headberg's discussion Raymarine ST60 wind transducer to B&G Zeus T8
"Yes, the i70 would be putting the data on the NMEA2000 backbone."
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Nadia Stocker's discussion Connection between a i60 wind instrument and a i60 close haule wind instrument
"Are they the only instruments connected together?  If so, there isn't a issue with that wiring. What is being displayed on the Close Hauled LCD, dashes?"
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Peter Dawson's discussion I 40 bidata display
"You can use any current depth transducer to work with the i40 instrument display."
4 hours ago
Matt Andrews replied to Russell Baine's discussion CP450C v3.09 won't update to v4.03 from my e125 v9.40
"    i updated to 4.04 and 10.41 on Friday and while I havnt run the boat I did immediately notice the sonar seems stable and free for sure 4.03 and the first rev 10didn't work well        of the obvious bugs"
4 hours ago
Brad Enterline replied to Brad Enterline's discussion Navcenter 300 and Standard Horizon 2150 AIS vhf
"Okay, I was afraid of that. I suspect I could replace the GPS antenna with a more current model and still keep the net center 300 (for the time being). Some of the newer models Support NMEA 2000 however I suspect they will also work fine for…"
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service