Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

andy man replied to andy man's discussion A98 + Mercury Gateway problems
"Thanks.  You guys make it too easy.  You are right, the data was there.  All I had to do was start the engine to watch the rpm move and oil temp.   This is why I have nothing but raymarine on my boston whaler!"
8 minutes ago
Charles Rheintgen replied to Charles Rheintgen's discussion No Sonar Icon on RL70C with DSM250 Sounder
"Thank you for your input.  I think I am actually getting close to understanding.  However, the way mine is set up is like this.  At the DSM250, I have 3 plugs/wires, 1) goes to the transducer, 2) is the power and 3) is a single three…"
3 hours ago
Alan martin and Ryan Gilbert are now friends
5 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to mark mackenzie's discussion Missing way points on RL80C after way point transfer
"Only way I know of to backup waypoints on a RL80C is to copy them to a card in the NT slots.  I would think this is what I would guess the shop did and then put them on the SD card for you.  I think I'd go back to the shop and ask…"
6 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to Roger J Jones (Sailboat Reboot)'s discussion GPS Thinks it 1995
"Can you supply a wiring diagram for your various components and the model numbers?  Would help a lot to try to help you determine what is going on. "
6 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to Roger Murphy's discussion Raymarine RSb2
"Would be best if you can provide the model number(s) of your various system components, but my initial thought is that your chart plotter is not receiving a GPS signal.  Depending on what model of chart plotter you have the GPS location…"
7 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to Vince's discussion RL80C Plus
"The first "C" in the model name suffix stands for color.  The "RC" stands for Ray Chart.  So the RL80C is just a color radar display while the RL80CRC is also color but adds chart plotting with electronic charts via the…"
7 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to Charles Rheintgen's discussion No Sonar Icon on RL70C with DSM250 Sounder
"Any of the HSB2 displays (RL70C, RL80C, L755, L760, L770, RC530...) could be used to replace the RL70C at the upper helm and would have full function of the other devices on the HSB2 network -- GPS/chart plotting & radar from the lower helm…"
7 hours ago
Kevin J. O'Brien replied to Kevin J. O'Brien's discussion Fluxgate Shuts down
"About four weeks ago, the i70 started reporting no compass consistently. I finally did the recommended test and the Fluxgate passed. I also purchased a new Fluxgate and the new Fluxgate shows the same behavior. The smart pilot is putting out 2.4…"
8 hours ago
Tom Serpa replied to Tom Serpa's discussion Fault lights on SPX 30
"C80 MFD at the helm, a C70 MFD at the nav station and a ST70 repeater at the nav station (wind, speed, depth). "
8 hours ago
ed replied to ed's discussion Es 7" mfd cannot get display to work on iPad air
"Hi I tried ray remote and it works. Ray view. Does not yet"
11 hours ago
Mitch Thurman replied to Mitch Thurman's discussion E90W Split Screen
"Hope these pictures will help explan what I was trying to tell you. Thanks Mitch"
14 hours ago
Mitch Thurman replied to Mitch Thurman's discussion E90W Split Screen
" "
14 hours ago
Jamie replied to Jamie's discussion wind vane base
"Ok, I have installed the i70 and can now calibrate the wind data, yippie I've ordered a converter kit for the smart controller... $$$ oh ya it's a boat. My e7 MFD has AIS data from a Horizon VHF, the i70 says no AIS available, any ideas on…"
16 hours ago
Jamie replied to Jamie's discussion wind vane base
"Thanks, I understand now "
16 hours ago
Jaap Zwaan replied to Jaap Zwaan's discussion 4kW Radome Raymarine
"Hi the plotter calls it a 4kW Radome E92129 0500607! Is that the model number? Thx "
23 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service