Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Dan Stover replied to Dan Stover's discussion Navionics Dock-to-Dock Autorouting
"I received my Lighthouse 17 update and it says that after the installation it needs to be "calibrated".  I don't know what I'm missing but I can't find a calibration procedure in the Lighthouse manual.  What is…"
2 hours ago
Greg Shakeshaft replied to Cindy Cross's discussion "Low Battery" Autohelm ST7000 Control, Type 300 Computer, Type 3 Reversing Hydraulic Pump Drive
"Hi Cindy Sorry to bother you regarding your low battery warning on ST7000 which is almost 4 years ago now.  I notice that you got it fixed locally by a spanish technician.  Do you know what the fault was in the end? Regards"
4 hours ago
jeff kanter replied to Dan Stover's discussion Navionics Dock-to-Dock Autorouting
"I just updated my c95 MFD to the latest software version 17 and renewed my subscription and got the updates to Navionics specifically for the dock to dock navigation. However, most routes I attempt I get the following message " Safe route…"
15 hours ago
ed replied to ed's discussion Rudder angle indicator
"Hi having trouble asking new question . After I login and try to ask new question the site says I am blocked. Can you help or advise an email address to contact. I have question on the mfd ES7 on how to append route to add additional waypoints after…"
yesterday
Richard H Wheeler replied to Lorenzo Vanni's discussion Raychart BC420 and Evermore SA-320
"Hello Lorenzo, I have the exact wiring you show in your picture on my EverMore SA320, just 5 main wires: red, black, green, blue and white.  There is also a tinted mesh ( tiny) Faraday RF suppression cable, and the best connection technique…"
yesterday
Charles Furst replied to Harold Breuninger's discussion Smartpilot x-5 clutch releasing after it is engaged
"I too have this problem with my x-5 and would ask for some clarification of the issue.  I've carefully adjusted the clutch tension so that it works just fine normally, but if there is force on the system, such as from a large course…"
Tuesday
Wim Bakker updated their profile
Monday
Jim Pugh replied to Jim Pugh's discussion ST60 Wind Instrument Only Reading on Starboard Tack
"Spring time finally arrived in Chicago and I have had the chance to perform the voltage checks you recommended. All the readings were within spec except the yellow to shield which had a reading above 5v.  Wind…"
Monday
Richard Hartley replied to Richard Hartley's discussion Seatalk NG startup problems
" "
Jun 17
TJ replied to Tim's discussion Weather Display Problems
"post your question here, on the new forum. http://forum.raymarine.com/index.php"
Jun 17
Lothar Taylor replied to Paul's discussion Raymarine E80....Update software or Upgrade and replace??
"Hello, I don't mean to hijack this thread but wish to clarify the comment about compatibility of radar systems with the E-Classic MFDs.  Is it truly possible to connect the HD radome or even the open array HD scanners to an E-Classic…"
Jun 17
Justin Brown replied to Justin Brown's discussion Help me understand the correct networking for STng & NMEA 2k sensors
"I added the fuel sensors and see them when checking devices on the a78 MFD, however I have not idea why I am not able to configure the devices. Do I need to have the motors running to properly configure the fuel meters ?"
Jun 17
Tim replied to Tim's discussion Weather Display Problems
"Ha....in what year:) "
Jun 17
"I will let the moderator chime in and give you the particulars"
Jun 17
Tim replied to Tim's discussion Weather Display Problems
"Certainly.   Can you provide an address and costs associated? Thanks"
Jun 17
"Tim, why don't you just mail the unit in to Raymarine and have it checked out?"
Jun 17

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service