Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 447

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

elvira replied to David Poeltl's discussion p70 installation problem
"I have a similar problem.  I have a smartpilot x30 and control head  I have the nmea 0183 connected to my garmin 7000 chartplotter  I receive the fluxgate compass data in my chartplotter, but not the data from my chartplotter in the…"
Saturday
ALAN IZZARD updated their profile
Jul 12
Luis replied to John Pecora's discussion DSM300 Made in Mexico
"Hello, I have DSM30 bought in 2010. The bar code shows E63074 and on the bottom line */AE63074 1200513* It is connected to a CW90 chart plotter though a hub switch that also connects the radar to the chartplotter. Since the beginning it has an…"
Jul 11
Don Bruce replied to Ray Pantlik's discussion File conversion from .fsh to gpx and gpx to fsh
"Voyage planner is the worst software I have ever had the misfortune to need. I am still looking for a way to convert GPX to FSH files that would preclude me from having to use Voyage planner. GPSutility is good but they want $60 to get the full…"
Jul 10
John Wagner-Stafford updated their profile
Jul 6
Bob Collins replied to ROBERT RING III's discussion REPLACE RAY215 MICROPHONE
"Is the Ray215 cord still available?  The cover on my cord is disintegrating."
Jul 5
Frank Thalhauser replied to P's discussion No rudder reference displayed
"Kyle, I seem to recall that when I first tried changing the pilot type, I did not press and hold (for 2 seconds) the standby button as required to exit and save the change. Fortunately, the guy I had on the phone caught my error, and the second time…"
Jun 28
Kyle replied to P's discussion No rudder reference displayed
"Thanks for the feedback Frank.  I finally contacted Tech support Friday while at the helm.  First person was not able to help and basically told me system is out of date and probably not repairable but didn't have one in front of them…"
Jun 27
Russell Herbert replied to Dave's discussion C80 and WiFi
"I have a C90W I am replacing it with a c127. Wiring is easy except the NMEA is a little confusing. The C90W has 10 or more wires and the c127 only 6. Assuming they wire to the VHF and maybe another. I see 4 white wires going into a 2"x3"…"
Jun 27
Stephen L Jones updated their profile
Jun 24
Joel Hjelseth replied to Joel Hjelseth's discussion Raymarine Dragonfly 7 malfunction
"Sounds even worse than mine. Suggest you do as they suggest and take it to an approved Raymarine dealer."
Jun 14
Doug Stevens replied to Joel Hjelseth's discussion Raymarine Dragonfly 7 malfunction
"Thanks for your reply. Mine kicks off at 6 mph. I have moved it to three different places and same results."
Jun 14
Joel Hjelseth replied to Joel Hjelseth's discussion Raymarine Dragonfly 7 malfunction
"No. Still broke. Have not sent it to be checked by RayMarine. The only other possibility is that I have the transducer mounted on the left side of the propeller rather than the right side as recommended."
Jun 14
Doug Stevens replied to Joel Hjelseth's discussion Raymarine Dragonfly 7 malfunction
"Mine is doing the same thing.  Did you get this fixed? If so, what did you do? Thank you for your help."
Jun 14
Andy Barbasch updated their profile
Jun 13
Tom Aydelotte replied to John Pecora's discussion DSM300 Made in Mexico
"Just learned of this replacement program. Several years ago I spent multiple hours trying to figure out my DSM300 inconsistencies... is there any program still available to solve this issue?"
Jun 11

© 2017   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service