Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to John Doub's discussion project a waypoint from a bearing and distance
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum John, The MFDs feature a graphical ruler function providing range and bearing data between two user specified point.  After setting the ruler to the specified range and bearing from the starting line, a…"
3 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dave Lewis's discussion Suggested enhancement to the Lighthouse software
"Noted."
9 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dan OHaver's discussion DSC Distress Call Log
"You're welcome."
11 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Joe westbury's discussion E97 MFD fuel management capabilities?
"Alex, What make/model of engines are installed on this boat?"
12 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to joao m t p reis's discussion C90w update
"Stephen, Unfortunately, the file is too large to be e-mailed.  Click here to download the C-Series Widescreen MFD software.  I have verified that the Download link on the C-Series Widescreen MFD software update web page is operational…"
15 minutes ago
Georges Brun-Cottan updated their profile
50 minutes ago
Roberto Dugarte updated their profile
59 minutes ago
Amber Lippold replied to Amber Lippold's discussion SmartPilot X-5 Cable Plug Cover
"Gray"
1 hour ago
kevin sherman posted a status
"Any one know how to connect a clipper compass dosplay to my Raymarine fluxgate compass M89980 for heading display only"
5 hours ago
Richard Perdomo updated their profile
9 hours ago
Alex Wilson replied to Joe westbury's discussion E97 MFD fuel management capabilities?
"I hope that by using the "Attach Files" I have provided the info you requested.  A good example of the problem with Fuel Manager occurred today. I refueled the boat to full so I turned Fuel Manager back on.  I entered "All…"
11 hours ago
Brian Marks replied to Corey A Crandall's discussion Auto depth range not working
"I have the Dragonfly 6 operating in the Chesapeake bay and it can't find and hold the bottom at all even in 100 feet or less using sonar or down vision. This item is probably the most frustrating piece of equipment I've gotten from…"
11 hours ago
Dan OHaver replied to Dan OHaver's discussion DSC Distress Call Log
"Followup - I did find position information in the Call Log -> Distress section of the Ray70, just like the manual states. But had to scroll down to see it. The scroll functionality must not have been obvious to me the first time I looked at the…"
13 hours ago
Fernando Garcia replied to Fernando Garcia's discussion i40 depth
"Thank you for your answer. It was really helpfull. I'll follow your advice."
14 hours ago
Dave Lewis replied to Dave Lewis's discussion Suggested enhancement to the Lighthouse software
"I am, hence the suggestion.  Also, the Lighthouse charts seem to have a rather long update cycle (I've noticed comments/complaints on this fourm) and being able to "roll your own" for those who would want to do so would take care…"
15 hours ago
stephen schempp replied to joao m t p reis's discussion C90w update
"I checked the Downloads folder - no luck. Is it possible to send it to me directly? Thanks!  "
15 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service