Hello,

I have a question about these 4 wires. Are they RS422 or RS232? I understand that NMEA0183 should be RS422, but it appears that sometimes it is not so.

I'm trying to interface these 4 wires to a serial port via a RS422 to Serial converter and its not working.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary,

Raymarine NMEA 0183 ports are designed to the NMEA 0183 standard, which is essentially RS422.  The AIS500 is manufactured with a DE-9 serial plug to support interfacing the AIS500 with a PC for use with the ProAIS application or other PC application.  In doing so, the BAUD rate will be 38400.  One should not simultaneously interface the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS500 to a product (ex. MFD) and use the aforementioned DE-9 serial interface, as the AIS500's 38400 BAUD leads are additionally connected to the leads of the DE-9 serial interface.

If using the AIS500's DE-9 serial plug to interface the AIS500 to your serial to USB adapter, then please note that the most cause for communications failures between a PC application and a NMEA 0183 device are

• incorrect installation of the serial to USB adapter
  • inferior serial to USB adapter design
  • incorrect configuration of the PC application 

Raymarine and many other marine electronics and navigational software application manufacturers recommend or re-brand the SeaLevel Model 2105R and similar SeaLevel serial communications products for customers seeking a serial to USB adapter for use with their NMEA 0183 devices.  Communications between the AIS500 and PC may be tested using the ProAIS applications.  It should also be noted that a serial COM port cannot typically be shared be more than one application unless application software is installed on to PC to support COM port sharing (ex. GpsGate, etc.).

Thanks for that reply. I'm using a FTDIChip RS422 to USB serial converter...here is a description of the wires from the FTDIChip..

Colour Name Type Description
Black GND GND Device ground supply pin.
Brown CTS+ InputClear to Send Control + (B), Input
Red TXD- OutputData – (A) Output
Orange TXD+ OutputData + (B) Output
Yellow RXD+ InputData + (B) Input
Green RTS+ OutputRequest To Send Control + (B), Output
Blue RTS- OutputRequest To Send Control – (A), Output
White RXD- InputData – (A) Input
Grey CTS- InputClear to Send Control input – (A), Input

Which of these wires would I connect to?

Thanks for your help

Gary,

I would recommend purchasing the serial to USB adapter recommended within my prior response and interfacing the adapter's DE-9 plug to the recommended adapter's socket.  Should you not elect to do so, then you may want to try interfacing the AIS500 to the serial to USB adapter as follows.

• AIS500 38400 OUT+ to Adapter RXD+
  • AIS500 38400 OUT- to Adapter RXD-
  • AIS500 38400 IN+ to Adapter TXD+
  • AIS500 38400 IN- to Adapter TXD-

As Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature a built in 38400 BAUD to 4800 BAUD multiplexer,

• data received from an interfaced 4800 BAUD talker will be multiplexed with AIS data and the combined data stream will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD output port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface)
  • 38400 BAUD data received from a 38400 BAUD talker by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 38400 BAUD input port (and corresponding pins of the DE-9 interface) will be transmitted by the AIS receiver/transceiver's 4800 BAUD output port

As such, should the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (which is interfaced to the SeaTalk bus featuring your ST60 Instruments) be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads, then the interfaced PC will receive a 38400 BAUD data stream including both AIS and instrument data.  Likewise, should your autopilot's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 input port be interfaced to the AIS500's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads, then 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the interfaced PC would be re-transmitted by the AIS500 to the autopilot at 4800 BAUD.

Thank you for the detailed very informative response! This is why I buy Raymarine products.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Gary

You're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Randy Holbrook replied to Rick Antles's discussion EV 400 install
"I have a similar boat and nearly identical electronics to Rick. I'm also considering an upgrade to the EV-400 and P70. Here are a few more questions on the same topic: * Would the EV-400 system be able to input our current ST60-era nav data via…"
49 minutes ago
Victor Elliott replied to Victor Elliott's discussion EV-1 and ACU-200 + actisence reports no data from CP300
"Hi, The Actisense variant is NGW-1-STNG"
56 minutes ago
Ian Ward replied to Ian Ward's discussion ST6000 Autopilot - Rudder bar always missing after power off
"Just bumping..."
58 minutes ago
Abbyroza replied to Abbyroza's discussion Raymarine A70 or Raymarine e7D to Autohelm 100 autopilot computer
"Well, today, before I received your very appreciated advice, I did a test run with the e7D connected via the seatalk/Seatalk-NG to the Type 100 course computer and the 'navigate to waypoint' command was executed flawlessly. The only…"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to john culley's discussion Seatalk-ng and Seatalk(1)
"No, the Seatalk to Seatalk NG adapter cable does not bridge Seatalk data to Seatalk NG.  You will need to connect the ST60+ instrument through a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter to bridge data to between the two different interfaces."
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to john culley's discussion ST4000+ Raytheon wheel pilot factory reset
"Can you provide a picture of the unit you are working with?   To determine the model you are working with."
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Abbyroza's discussion Raymarine A70 or Raymarine e7D to Autohelm 100 autopilot computer
"With the Type 100 course computer the Seatalk protocol is different than the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter allows, and probably won't work either.  I can only recommend the NMEA 0183 connection of communication to the e7 display."
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Victor Elliott's discussion EV-1 and ACU-200 + actisence reports no data from CP300
"What is the model number of the Actisence adapter you are using?"
1 hour ago
Patrick Gebhardt posted a discussion

ST4000 Precision

Just took ownership of a 31 foot sailboat that came equipped with the ST4000 autopilot hooked up to the wheel.  Had the boat out a few times and been using the pilot, mostly in calm waters with little wind, current, and/or wave action.  I've noticed that when it is engaged it tends to wander back a forth between 3 to 5 degrees on either side of the intended course.  It stays on course over distance but feels like it's having a hard time resolving to the intended course.  Is this normal for…See More
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to John Little's discussion Evolution wheel steering set up
"You will need direct power to the ACU-100 to the power input should be fused at 10A, and the Red and Black cable with the white connector is the power input cable for the Seatalk NG backbone you are creating for the p70, ACU-100 and the EV-1 to…"
1 hour ago
Andrew Linney posted a discussion

AIS650 Silent Mode

Installed the new AIS 650 with AIS 100 Splitter per the Raymarine installation instructions on wiring for both low and high baud rate - receiving AIS data but when all 4 of the connections are made to a Icom M422 VHF Radio it puts our vessel in silent mode or non transmit - when the grey and yellow are disconnected we are in transmit mode, any ideas why this might be the case.See More
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Gary Kanzler's discussion Adapters/cables to connect simnet display to sealtalk nmea 2000 autopilot?
"We have adapter cables for standard NMEA2000 devices with DeviceNet connectors, you choose either Male for Female, depending on the connector on the device.  I am not aware of the Simnet connectors, and don't have specific adapter…"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to David's discussion New DMS 300 Auto pilot read No Data
"Is the ST5000+ showing heading?"
1 hour ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Douglas Majors's discussion Evolution 200
"Connecting the Evolution autopilot to a Seatalk instrument, you will need to connect the Seatalk instrument through a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter in order to bridge the Seatalk to Seatalk NG. As for the question about the extra screw,…"
2 hours ago
John Wix replied to John Wix's discussion p70 Waypoint Turn Angle Display
"Chartplotter is e125 (data master). See attached network diagram. Software is 9.45 in both MFD's.  Software in both p70's is 2.12."
2 hours ago
Franco cecchelli posted a blog post

VHF 49 E RX problems

My VHF 49 E have had inaspectated failure during meteo bulletin lissening. It stop to receive. The device have 5 years but few hours of running condition. The TX is ok.After some minuts to have off, i try again and for about one minutes the RX is going then stop. Only noise and RX indicator on. I tried with hand VHF to call but noting. On the others end if i trasmit the hand VHF receive the call!!I read that same problems have had others customer.Could tell me wich is the cause of…See More
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service