Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

FRANCO Campana replied to FRANCO Campana's discussion Synching Sirrus radio to Raymarine C80 model
"Thank you for your response.  I am trying to follow you up as well as I can understand, but I am not sure what do you mean by MFD, and SDR. I did as suggested in point 1 and there was not a specified signal strength since under connection state…"
12 minutes ago
Profile IconLuis Rodriguez, John, Brian Barone and 7 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
1 hour ago
Mark replied to Mark's discussion E120W
"but the unit would not work with 3.25  there was no depth information and no scrolling  only water temp,  since they upgraded to 3.28 it works  so if i put it in the boat and downgrade and it doesn't work then i loose…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Mark's discussion E120W
"Mark, The Repair Center and dealers are being notified of this change today.  Should you be unable to downgrade the CP300's software, then it may be sent to the Repair Center to have the downgrade performed. As indicated within my…"
1 hour ago
Philippe Gouffon posted a discussion

Height of EV-1 sensor installation in a 32ft sailboat

I am about to install a EV-100 kit (tiller) on my 32ft sailboat. My doubt is where, in height over the waterline, should I install the EV-1 sensor. The lowest the best or it does not matter? To put it just under the roof just aft of the mast would be perfect but it is a bit less than 7' from the bottom of the hull, 4' above the waterline. Since it has an accelerometer, the further from the center of rotation the stronger the linear acceleration - does the computer correct for this?PhilippeSee More
1 hour ago
Mark replied to Mark's discussion E120W
"These units just left your service department yesterday and I received them this morning work order # 30203859  your notes tell me that you upgraded from V3.25  to V3.28A How do I obtain a copy of V3.28A in case I have a problem in the…"
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Mark's discussion E120W
"Mark, The current production version of software for the CP300 is v4.04 which is tested and approved with the new LightHouse II Multifunction Displays (a,c,e,gS-Series). This superseded v4.03, v3.28A, v3.25 and v3.13. For interfacing the CP300 with…"
1 hour ago
Randal E Mowrey replied to Randal E Mowrey's discussion EV1Autopilot performance issue
"System is interfaced with Ray E127 currently running lighthouse 11.36 software, unit is also interfaced with ray 12kw 48" open array SHD radar and a smartcontroller wireless remote and a DSM 300 no speed wheel input "
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Brian Stinson's discussion SRM Alert Messages
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian, Section 16.9 of the a/c/e-Series Installation and Operation Guide addresses SRMs to include a brief description of the content of a SRM.  This section additionally addresses how on may enable…"
2 hours ago
Mark posted a discussion

E120W

I just received back my E120W and CP300 that was not working togetherthe repair technician noted that they updated the CP300 software to ver 3.28AI have 2 other E120W on my network do i need to install 3.28A on them ? If sowhere do I get ver  3.28A  I only see  3.25 listed for my deviceMarkSee More
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to William Coohon's discussion i70 v2.17
"An bug was noticed in the v2.17 software, so we have decided to pull it and a new software revision will be updated soon."
2 hours ago
Brian Barone posted a discussion

E66020 31-313-2-01 tridata Transducer Compatability

Hi I just bought a boat with a E66020 31-313-2-01 transducer installed but never used.  Sat in the boat for about 10 years on the hard, but it was never used.  I have no other instruments on the boat and want to hook this into a multifunction display.  What displays can I use for this unit which is probably older than the current version.  I am on a budget and so would like the lowest cost option available to me, but this is a sailboat so I would also like to have the display be able to provide…See More
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Abid Valle's discussion Evolution 100
"Vetus Drive?  Hydrualic?  What is the model number Vetus drive you are using?"
2 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Randal E Mowrey's discussion EV1Autopilot performance issue
"Exactly, when something like this pops up, after the system has been working for awhile, something has changed within the system.  Speed in the Water is not required or necessary, but sometimes is the cause because the system will use that data…"
2 hours ago
Ace-Raymarine,US replied to Brian george's discussion thermal camera
"Hello Brian, If the displays are e127s you technically do not need a controller as you can control the T400 through the e127s. I do recommend having a jcu additionally as this provides redundancy in the system. The video is not shared over raynet so…"
3 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to bbq bob's discussion need help Installing the fluxgate compass
"I don't know the boat specifically, so I will invite members with specific knowledge of the boat to chime in, and suggest that manufacturers of the hull are usually good sources for specific locations to mount fluxgate compasses. The rule of…"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service