Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Richard Perdomo updated their profile
1 hour ago
Alex Wilson replied to Joe westbury's discussion E97 MFD fuel management capabilities?
"I hope that by using the "Attach Files" I have provided the info you requested.  A good example of the problem with Fuel Manager occurred today. I refueled the boat to full so I turned Fuel Manager back on.  I entered "All…"
2 hours ago
Brian Marks replied to Corey A Crandall's discussion Auto depth range not working
"I have the Dragonfly 6 operating in the Chesapeake bay and it can't find and hold the bottom at all even in 100 feet or less using sonar or down vision. This item is probably the most frustrating piece of equipment I've gotten from…"
2 hours ago
Dan OHaver replied to Dan OHaver's discussion DSC Distress Call Log
"Followup - I did find position information in the Call Log -> Distress section of the Ray70, just like the manual states. But had to scroll down to see it. The scroll functionality must not have been obvious to me the first time I looked at the…"
5 hours ago
Fernando Garcia replied to Fernando Garcia's discussion i40 depth
"Thank you for your answer. It was really helpfull. I'll follow your advice."
5 hours ago
Dave Lewis replied to Dave Lewis's discussion Suggested enhancement to the Lighthouse software
"I am, hence the suggestion.  Also, the Lighthouse charts seem to have a rather long update cycle (I've noticed comments/complaints on this fourm) and being able to "roll your own" for those who would want to do so would take care…"
6 hours ago
stephen schempp replied to joao m t p reis's discussion C90w update
"I checked the Downloads folder - no luck. Is it possible to send it to me directly? Thanks!  "
6 hours ago
Ernie Donovan replied to Ernie Donovan's discussion ST6000+ interface to ST70
"Well, I screwed up my request for information.  I have an i70, NOT an ST70.  I screwed up the nomenclature while researching an answer.  I searched for the manual and the ST70 was not correct.  So, can you help me with the same…"
7 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Fernando Garcia's discussion i40 depth
"Yes, the i40 displays can be daisy chained and the second display without the transducer be put into repeater so it will repeat the depth data showing on the i40 display with the transducer connected to it. With the current EV-100 autopilot system,…"
7 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dave Lewis's discussion How to create multiple custom pages on a c127
"Dave, While the system does not presently support creating a new page, you can restore the original page set by performing a System Settings Reset command."
7 hours ago
Fernando Garcia posted a discussion

i40 depth

I have two questions.The first one is:Is it possible to connect two displays i40 depth to just one transducer?The other one, I want to know, is possible to connect a EV-100 or ST1000 or St 2000 to a GPSMAP78 Garmin with NMEA 0183?See More
8 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to David's discussion Low voltage alarms on Ray 70
"You're welcome."
8 hours ago
Jim Ambrosio replied to Jim Ambrosio's discussion Radar scanner not starting up
"The boat is five years old. The Raymarine equipment was factory installed. There is a separate breaker for the electronics. All equipment is connected to this except for the Sounder (DSM 300). (I put that on its own breaker because I was having…"
8 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Ernie Donovan's discussion ST6000+ interface to ST70
"First thing I would like you to try is go into the Menu of the ST70 and choose Advanced Options and Mastership and make sure that is set to ON."
8 hours ago
David replied to David's discussion Low voltage alarms on Ray 70
"Many thanks for this, I will explore fitting a Mastervolt Magic 12/12-20 stabilised DC DC power supply assuming I can isolate Raymarine kit otherwise will go for plan A and install a third battery just for the winch. "
8 hours ago
Ernie Donovan posted a discussion

ST6000+ interface to ST70

I just updated from the ST60 series to an ST70 MFD w/IC5.  I am attempting to connect my current ST6000+ (old autopilot w/ Type 100) to my newly installed ST70. I was told that it was plug and play with the adapter cable. I purchased the adapter cable but I have a “SEATALK FAIL” message on the ST6000.I have connected my Garmin 5212 (plotter) to the IC5 successfully and it shares data with the ST70. The “assembly” looks like this: Type 100 (seatalk cable) ST6000+ (Seatalk – STng cable) ST70…See More
8 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service