Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

John Kee replied to John Kee's discussion Attaching power wires to Type 300 Course Computer
"Thanks Underway; I found a 4-position terminal block (see attached picture) in the box that the Type 300 Course Computer, fluxgate compass and rudder position transducer came in (new-old-stock purchase).  It looks like a to solution to the…"
5 hours ago
Paul Fucetola posted a status
"what are the chances of us both being on ray marine site!!"
5 hours ago
chuck hantis left a comment for Paul Fucetola
"Hope all is well..what you doing here...haha"
6 hours ago
chuck hantis and Paul Fucetola are now friends
6 hours ago
Jim replied to Jim's discussion Spx5 moved from usa to australia. Getting erratic behaviour.
"Ah ok..grasping at straws as a precursor to the system losing the plot is widely increasing rudder angle."
8 hours ago
paul replied to paul's discussion Evolution Autopilot update to latest software versions - preservation of defaults and calibration?
"Hi, Apologies for the thread-drift, I'll open a new request for the i70. Just to clarify on the p70, if I understand you correctly, the p70 retains all the configuration data (user preferences and calibration data) for the ACU and EV1, i.e. the…"
11 hours ago
Eric posted a discussion

Current and tide information

Hello - writing to inquire if I'm missing something, as I can't seem to display the current and tide information as I would like.I have a e97 MFD, running the latest 10/2014 firmware.  I recently upgraded to the Navionics Gold maps, and have been trying to get current and tide information to display.  Per the manual instructions, I touch either the current station or tide station diamonds, and select animate.The icons do appropriately change to arrows or tide boxes, but if I close the animate…See More
12 hours ago
Andrew Eaglesfield posted a discussion

AIS signal reception

I have just this season fitted to our Moody a E90W plotter, with a AIS350 receiver. I also have a 0.9m 'Skinny whip' antenna mounted on the rear gantry about 2.2 m above the waterline and not far from the Aerogen and the Radar scanner.When setting out from NW Spain we seemed to get all the AIS signals shown on the plotter with no problem, but as we entered the Med about 6 weeks later we only seem to pick up the signals from leisure boats, fishing boats and superyachts! Most freighters and…See More
12 hours ago
Profile Iconbart harold, Tman600, John Beck and 3 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
12 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to alejandro Zarich's discussion i60 close haul working randomly
"The ST50 wind is older Seatalk, and is not compatible with the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter.  You will need to upgrade the masthead wind transducer as well the ST50 masthead is not compatible with the newer ST60/+, i60, i70 Wind systems.…"
13 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Graham Bobbit's discussion P70 compatibity with Seatalk
"Yes, to get into the menus to calibrate the system.  I have enclosed the manual the Calibration section starts on page 80."
13 hours ago
Graham Bobbit replied to Graham Bobbit's discussion P70 compatibity with Seatalk
"Thanks for the reply. So I understand fully can you explain what ""calibrate the system" means and is there an way  to do this manually?"
13 hours ago
alejandro Zarich replied to alejandro Zarich's discussion i60 close haul working randomly
"Well, since your last recommendation , I did send the I60 CH to the official raymarine service in argentina. The result, It works perfectly well, but when trying to make it work with the ST50 wind thru the Seatalk to seatalkng converter, they found…"
14 hours ago
Eric updated their profile
14 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to paul's discussion Evolution Autopilot update to latest software versions - preservation of defaults and calibration?
"No, the p70 is the controller to the autopilot system, the i70 is an  multifunction instrument display.  The iTC-5 and the transducer connected to the Seatalk NG backbone hold individual calibration and Log/Trip data.  If you would…"
15 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to John Kee's discussion Attaching power wires to Type 300 Course Computer
"This would require a splice from the higher gauge wire to the lower gauge."
15 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service