Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Philippe Hevesy 's discussion e125 AIS Problems
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Philippe, Please attach the Diagnostics...html file created by the Data Master MFD (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DIAGNOSTICS->SELECT DEVICE->E127->SAVE THIS DATA) to this discussion for…"
42 seconds ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Ed's discussion AIS650 Installation - Unit only operates in Silent Mode
"Ed, My prior response recommended that the ProAIS2 software be used and included a link to that software."
5 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Charles Buzzetti's discussion Adding Auto Pilot to C80 Classic
"You're welcome."
7 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Larry Carlsen's discussion Replacing old Pathfinder radar with a new Raymarine digital RD418D on 2006 SeaRay 320
"Larry, Should the layout permit, the old radar cable would typically be married to the new radar cable and then the old radar cable would then be used to pull the new radar cable though.  You may want to check with the boat builder to determine…"
7 minutes ago
Colby replied to Colby's discussion p70R software update
"The software version shows as 2.12.  I guess it would be good to know what was changed with the updated software versions."
9 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to stacey lewis's discussion adding fluxgate compass to rl70crc hsb2.
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Stacey, It is not possible to directly interface analog transducers (except for the analog radar scanner) to a hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar Display.   Should you desire to use the display's…"
14 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to David's discussion Autopilot for Mercury Big Tiller
"You can contact our product support team at our Raymarine 800# - 800.539.5539 to be able to talk with a Product Support over the phone."
33 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Ken Rudzki's discussion auto pilot pump check valve
"Did you calibrate the system after changing the hydraulic line?  Did the hydraulic line change in length?"
45 minutes ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Tj Willacker's discussion Evo 200 Turning issues
"Hydraulic system?  Is the downrigger moved electronically?  Does the boat heel in the direction of the downrigger when you move it?  Does the heading change on the p70 control head when you move the downrigger?"
47 minutes ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Phil casanova's discussion gs125 intergration
"Phil, The Autopilot Control feature of Raymarine's MFD require the that the MFD be interfaced via SeaTalk or SeaTalkng to the autopilot.  Should you desire to use this feature, then it would be necessary to utilize a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng…"
1 hour ago
Ed replied to Ed's discussion AIS650 Installation - Unit only operates in Silent Mode
"Where/how can I acquire the ProAIS software? Thx"
1 hour ago
David replied to David's discussion Autopilot for Mercury Big Tiller
" "
2 hours ago
William Coohon replied to Colby's discussion p70R software update
"On the box the equipement came in is a label with software version. Latest p70R software is 2.17 dated Aug 2014. Depending on how long your box sat on the store's shelf before you bought it, it may be okay."
3 hours ago
Charles Buzzetti replied to Charles Buzzetti's discussion Adding Auto Pilot to C80 Classic
"Thank you I will look into that."
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Charles Buzzetti's discussion Adding Auto Pilot to C80 Classic
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Charles, In short yes.  Raymarine's Evolution Autopilot Systems may be adapted with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter for use with older MFDs such as the C-Series Classic MFDs."
3 hours ago
Charles Buzzetti posted a discussion

Adding Auto Pilot to C80 Classic

I recently bought a Parker 2310 with a Raymarine C80 Classic with radar and FF.I want to add an autopilot system but want it to interface with the C80.Does Raymarine make a system that will still work with this older unit?I looked online but it did not seem very clear to me which one I would need.Vessel is an outboard with hydraulic steering.Thanks for any replies.See More
3 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service