Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 439

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconJim Biddle, Steven Dohmeier, Lynn Kooyers and 30 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
23 minutes ago
Carlos Varela updated their profile
8 hours ago
Carlos Varela replied to Carlos Varela's discussion ST60+ Tridata Replacement
"The complete list of the connected equipment is ST60 Tridata (which is darkened and needs fixing or replacement), ST60 Wind, SP X-5, ST6002 Controller and ST4000 Plus Autopilot"
10 hours ago
Mike Zellhuber replied to Mike Zellhuber's discussion Problem with a78 Gold RD414D Radar Pack
"I have now loaded the latest software available from this website.  The MFD accepted the upgrade and acted as I would expect.   After powering down and removing update card, re-inserted Navionics card.  Turned unit back on and…"
10 hours ago
Paul Keyser replied to Paul Keyser's discussion ST60 Wind
"Thanks for getting back to me. I tested with a voltmeter at the back of the i60 gauge today (located in a pod at the helm). The ST60 knot/log meter, autopilot and depth all work.  Here's what I measured on the I60: Red to shield; 8 volts…"
11 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dave johnson's discussion a 78 transducer
"Noted."
12 hours ago
Steve Bengtson updated their profile
13 hours ago
Terry Foster replied to Terry Foster's discussion ACU-100 cover screws
"It is a #3 metric machine screw, 8mm long."
13 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to Shane Lemons's discussion New units
"I just got a similar setup for my boat -- a97 for the console and a pair of a68's for the bow and stern.  The CHIRP/downvision of the a68 and the digital sonar of the a97 plus any charting cards can be shared across any of the 3 units.…"
20 hours ago
Ryan Gilbert replied to Dave johnson's discussion a 78 transducer
"Just another thought on using an in hull transducer.  Check the type of fiberglass construction of your boat's hull.  If it is solid fiberglass the in hull will work well.  If however the hull uses honeycomb fiberglass or has any…"
20 hours ago
Bill Swentor replied to Bill Swentor's discussion Dragonfly Problem
"As it turned out, I sent my unit back to the repair center. My unit came back in about ten days. The paperwork that came back with the unit stated that the unit was REPLACED by Raymerine for a faulty hardware problem. Hardware failure. Not good…"
21 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Dave johnson's discussion a 78 transducer
"Dave, Ryan's comments are sound.  Again were you seeking an in-hull transducer for the depths specified, then it would be strongly recommended that the M260 be considered over the P79."
22 hours ago
Mark Rutherford replied to Mark Rutherford's discussion i70 in setup cannot find transducers
"Thanks. You are right. All transducers are greyed out except the compass which I could access. We have a minus 80 degree error. Will a compass swing align this or should I apply a plus 80 degree offset? "
yesterday
Shane Lemons replied to Shane Lemons's discussion New units
"As suggested I purchased two a68's. I have also purchased the trolling motor attachment along with the Raynet (f) cable. This may be redundant but I just need to be clear. One of the units came with navionics gold bundle and one did not. If I…"
yesterday
Allen Edwards replied to Lars's discussion Tacktick NMEA interface T122
"Did you ever get an answer on how much current you can take out of the 'power out' connector?"
yesterday
Jim Schrader replied to Dale Klymchuk's discussion Auto pilot control by cell phone.
"This is frustrating as this functionality been disabled. I'd say it's only available, for a price, by purchasing a stand alone wireless product but I don't think you can even by one for the evolution autopilot. Never the less, for a…"
yesterday

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service