Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconRandy Laks, Victor Gentile, David B and 11 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Don Anderson's discussion Depth sounder module fried?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Don, Raymarine's US Technical Support Team and Product Repair Center may may also be contacted M-F (0815-1700) Eastern US Time at 603.324.7900.  Mondays and Tuesdays are Raymarine Product…"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Mick's discussion Dragonfly top clutter?
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Mick, The configuration setting responsible to addressing the clutter within the upper portion of the water column is referred to as Noise Filter (MENU->SENSITIVITY SETTING->NOISE FILTER.  The…"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Maurice Colontonio's discussion AIS Problems with Version 11.26 on an E125 Touch Screen
"Thanks again for the photo.  The pictured device is clearly an AIS650."
3 hours ago
Maurice Colontonio replied to Maurice Colontonio's discussion AIS Problems with Version 11.26 on an E125 Touch Screen
"Dear Moderator: Here is a picture!"
3 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Owen Pawson's discussion Autopilot for Hunter 336
"You're welcome."
3 hours ago
john choumas liked john choumas's discussion C 140 wide panel and DSM 300 talk issue
4 hours ago
Colin Felton replied to Colin Felton's discussion Type 300 course computer with hydraulic linear drive
"I believe it is a Navico LHA:12A Electro-Hydraulic Linear Actuator.  It has two sets of connections - one set for the reversing motor and the other for the solenoid bypass valve."
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Paul Mermelstein's discussion SmartController Battery
"The part number of the replacement lithium battery is A18119, the can be purchased at your favorite Raymarine dealer. "
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Andrew Aicardi's discussion AP No Pilot
"Anytime.  Contact us with any further questions."
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Sergio Boettcher's discussion p70
"Yes, it needs wind data."
4 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to john choumas's discussion C 140 wide panel and DSM 300 talk issue
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum John, Please see the message sent to you."
4 hours ago
Underway - Raymarine, US replied to Colin Felton's discussion Type 300 course computer with hydraulic linear drive
"What is the model number of the drive?  Is it a Raymarine drive?"
4 hours ago
Owen Pawson replied to Owen Pawson's discussion Autopilot for Hunter 336
"Excellent - thanks for your help!!"
4 hours ago
john choumas posted a discussion

C 140 wide panel and DSM 300 talk issue

I have a C140 wide panel that keeps warning me of a DSM 300 communication error.  I see some of the solutions and I'm just not sure how I can get the updated software for my CF card.  where's the actual download?I don't have a CF reader or is that another name for the SD slot on my Mac?I just want to get rid of that ridiculous neverending alarm display.  I know I'm close, just have to execute on these items.Thanks so much,.Jack choumasC See More
4 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Owen Pawson's discussion Autopilot for Hunter 336
"Owen, As the maximum recommended laden boat displacement for a Evolution Wheel Drive is 7,500kg (16,500lbs), your vessel appears to be a good fit for this pilot for near shore operation.  If sailing blue water, it is generally recommended that…"
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service