I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Views: 522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

• Add Videos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Lawrence S. Krompier replied to Lawrence S. Krompier's discussion Need Basic Instructions to Network 2-Classic E120's
"Thank you! I will check that v5.69 is the latest update.  If not, how do I update the MFD's?"
2 hours ago
jim den hartog replied to Ralph Mills's discussion Replacing ST6001 control head
" "
3 hours ago
Jeff Ripey replied to Jeff Ripey's discussion Displaying all 3 sonar image types using 2 MFD's?
"Thanks for your patience and please forgive my confusion. I'm a committed Raymarine customer but should've been clearer in defining my objectives. Based on my price checks it seems that the most cost-effective way to upgrade my 2D imagery…"
7 hours ago
Russell Wilson posted a status
"Pretty Picture but if you can't get it fixed it worthless"
10 hours ago
"How do I find a replacement Course computer S1G?"
10 hours ago
Russell Wilson updated their profile
10 hours ago
"I'm having problems with seatalk failure, Raymarine no longer supports ST 8001 S1G Autopilot, this is very disturbing news!!!!"
11 hours ago
Tim Holley replied to Tim Holley's discussion ST60+. Wind Troubleshooting
"When you say "masthead" do you mean the transducer, or also the socket it plugs into ? I previously had the transducer checking by the Raymarine service depot in Vancouver and they said it was okay. Thank you"
11 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to John Forrester's discussion New v11.26 upgrade and "autorouting" with the e7d
"You're welcome."
11 hours ago
John Connell replied to John Forrester's discussion New v11.26 upgrade and "autorouting" with the e7d
"ok, great news.  When I got back out to the boat, while at the marina, I entered a deeper way point, out in front of the marina in the main channel in Penetanguishene harbour, when I finished building the route by selecting the second way…"
11 hours ago
Russell Baine replied to Russell Baine's discussion Equipment Purchase Question
"Excellent.  This is quite clear now.  Thanks for the info."
13 hours ago
John Helly replied to John Helly's discussion E-120 Networked Display is dark and does not respond to procedure to brighten it.
"The E120 seems to have failed as it will not brighten. What would be the recommended replacement? This is a used boat that we have just acquired and the old owner didn't know much about the electronics. It has a Raymarine radar and, as far as I…"
15 hours ago
Todd Kornely replied to Todd Kornely's discussion tide information on e125
"This link does not appear to be valid."
15 hours ago
Profile IconJim Stephens, Tom Ellefson, rick oeder and 12 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
15 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Todd Kornely's discussion tide information on e125
"Todd, Please click here to view a Forum discussion in which I had previously addressed this subject."
15 hours ago
Todd Kornely replied to Todd Kornely's discussion tide information on e125
"I just got my E125 back from repair, and it was upgraded to the latest firmware 15.59. Mow I am seeing some odd behavior with the tide screen.... when I do the find nearest tide station, and I select the tide station the tide screen flashes up and…"
15 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service