Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Chris replied to Bryan Hendrix's discussion AIS 650 and VHF ANTENNAS
"I just bought a AIS650 for my Jeanneau 45 with a 65' mast w 2 spreaders.  What is the recommended location for the antenna?"
yesterday
Marc Cooper replied to Tom Rosenthal's discussion e125 wifi unable to connect to Wirie Pro wifi error message
"Any update on this issue?  Its been out there for six months, and Raymarine has still not addressed it. "
Sunday
Gary Carr updated their profile
Saturday
João Azevedo updated their profile
Friday
Gary Prisco updated their profile
Apr 20
Russell A. Baine updated their profile
Apr 19
Randy hillman updated their profile
Apr 10
Michael Jon Willson updated their profile
Apr 8
Jack Lindeman updated their profile
Apr 8
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Doug Rousso's discussion Merc Gateway And Raymarine autopilot not compatible.
"The Raymarine Technical Community Forum is CLOSED - Announcement of New Raymarine Forum With the goal of continuing to provide Raymarine customers and prospective Raymarine customers world class pre-sales, installation, operation, and…"
Apr 6
Doug Rousso replied to Doug Rousso's discussion Merc Gateway And Raymarine autopilot not compatible.
"Wow Chris.  I'm excited.  I was at my boat this past weekend and updated to the latest releases from Raymarine (Mar 2016) but didn't write down the versions.  I ended up unplugging the gateway last summer because It was just…"
Apr 6
Chris Ruckman replied to Chris Ruckman's discussion Possible to interface Raymarine rudder transducer to Smartcraft?
"I was able to resolve this problem by installing the latest software updates.  I now have these versions: P70R controller, E22167: 2.17RS130 GPS, E32153: 2.2ACU-200, E70099: 1.13STI-STNG converter, E22158: 2.01I70 display, E22172: 2.18EV-1…"
Apr 6
Chris Ruckman replied to Doug Rousso's discussion Merc Gateway And Raymarine autopilot not compatible.
"The latest software upgrades fixed the problem!  I have these versions: P70R controller, E22167: 2.17RS130 GPS, E32153: 2.2ACU-200, E70099: 1.13STI-STNG converter, E22158: 2.01I70 display, E22172: 2.18EV-1 autopilot, E70096: 1.11C80 MFD,…"
Apr 6
Chris Ruckman replied to Chris Ruckman's discussion Mercury SmartCraft Gateway interfering with auto-pilot
"The latest software upgrades fixed the problem!  I have these versions: P70R controller, E22167: 2.17RS130 GPS, E32153: 2.2ACU-200, E70099: 1.13STI-STNG converter, E22158: 2.01I70 display, E22172: 2.18EV-1 autopilot, E70096: 1.11C80 MFD,…"
Apr 6
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Patrick Stinson's discussion St60(+?) tridata won't power on
"Patrick, Thanks for the update.   With the goal of continuing to provide Raymarine customers and prospective Raymarine customers world class pre-sales, installation, operation, and troubleshooting support, Raymarine has designed a new…"
Apr 4
Patrick Stinson replied to Patrick Stinson's discussion St60(+?) tridata won't power on
"I finalyl figured it out. The previous owner ran the 12VDC into a switch on the old-school odometer found in the cabin. wow. thanks for the help!"
Apr 3

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service