Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Donna Stubbs replied to Phil Clements's discussion CP-200 module install question
"to: Phil, very interested in your electronics package.  We are looking to outfit a 20ft trophy. I assume you had 2 modules to mount? one for down vision, and one for side vision?  Did you have to install a network switch? or does your a78…"
18 minutes ago
Profile Iconty ebright, Cody Tesnow, ANDREW KEITH GUERRA and 3 more joined Raymarine Technical Forum
1 hour ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to david greene's discussion wind vane repair
"David, ST60 Wind transducers may be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be serviced."
2 hours ago
david greene posted discussions
2 hours ago
Martin A Donner updated their profile
4 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Chris Nail's discussion COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS E120 CLASSIC (X2) DSM300, SR100
"Chris, I'm glad to learn of your success in addressing the failure."
6 hours ago
Dwight Coles posted photos
6 hours ago
Garrett posted a discussion

Rd418HD

The dreaded "scanner not rotating" message has started showing up on my mfd when I try to put the unit into transmit mode. Does this mean 100% that something has failed in transmitter's mechanics? I'm really dreading having to climb the mast to get the unit down. Even more frustrating that the unit is only a couple of months old.
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to Chris Hyrne's discussion 2 GPS/Plotters on one SeatalkNG Backbone
"Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Chris, Please specify the make/model of GPS/Chartplotters that you are referring to."
6 hours ago
Chris Hyrne posted a discussion

2 GPS/Plotters on one SeatalkNG Backbone

Can I spur 2 GPS/Plotters on on SeatalkNG backbone and avoid data loops/conflicts? (One at the helm, on at the nav table) I have AIS, p70/EV1, i60 wind, i50 speed and depth on the net.See More
6 hours ago
Moderator - Raymarine, US replied to david greene's discussion a75 error message data source
"David, The Multiple Data Sources (MDS) feature is intended to permit more than one instance of a NMEA 2000 data source to be interfaced to a new a/e/c-Series Data Master MFD (a65, a67, c95, c97, c125, c127, e7, e7D, e95, e97, e125, e127, e165) or…"
6 hours ago
Dwight Coles commented on NKO, Raymarine, US's photo
Thumbnail

rebilas

"Great picture!  What detail for a stop action shot!"
7 hours ago
Dwight Coles liked NKO, Raymarine, US's photo
8 hours ago
Dwight Coles liked Air Raid's photo
8 hours ago
Dwight Coles commented on Air Raid's photo
Thumbnail

Orca Breaching , Friday Harbor

"GREAT PICTURE!  I have never seen this before from our local pod."
8 hours ago
Cheyne replied to Cheyne's discussion Using i70's as port and stbd tachometers
"All data hardware instances have been configured to properly output to the display it needs to go , Ie port data goes to port i70, Stbd data goes to stbd. What u are saying is that the i70 cannot be used in the manner Iam mentioning? I have a port…"
12 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service