I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Views: 917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

• Add Videos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Joe Shabbott liked Moderator - Raymarine, US's discussion Interfacing a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor to an E-Series Widescreen MFD (E90W, E120W, E140W)
Michael replied to Moderator - Raymarine, US's discussion SeaTalkng Communications Protocol
"Hi, these are good docs on the phys network, but there doesn't appear to be any protocol info in these docs. is there any doc on the sentences? Or is STNG the same sentences as NMEA2000 sentences?  thx"
Richard Anderson updated their profile
Oct 3
Mark noe updated their profile
Sep 12
Phil Niles updated their profile
Sep 12
Kenneth Bryce left a comment for Kenneth Bryce
"Hi I have 2 /C97 units. I am purchasing a Quantum raydar. At present my two c97 are linked via one cable, raynet.My depth transducer is conected to unit A. I would like to be able to use both A and B units independently .With the Wifi on Qantam ,…"
Sep 7
roger goodman updated their profile
Sep 5
W. Cary Letien updated their profile
Aug 30
Keith Davis updated their profile
Aug 30
William G Thomson updated their profile
Aug 29
German Delfino updated their profile
Aug 23
robert charles updated their profile
Aug 15
John W Graham and Franci Separovic are now friends
Aug 14
William G Thomson liked Danny Engle's discussion DSM 300 "DSM Connection Lost"
Aug 12
David Vacanti left a comment for Sean E Anderson
"I had major problems with losing DSM 300 depth data on my E120 Classic display. I finally gave up on the system and have converted to the new CP370 Depth Sounder that is an all new design. The new unit is rock solid and has excellent performance.…"
Aug 10
Dave Morrow updated their profile
Aug 9

© 2016   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service