Hello,

I purchased an AIS 650 unit last June and had a certified installer/boatyard put it in.  I have recently realized that only vessels within 1/2 mile can see our AIS signal.  We have no trouble seeing anyone else but vessels have to be way too close in order to see us.  I am wondering if there is a low/high power setting somewhere that I can adjust although I looked at the software interface that came with the unit and didn't see those options.  The unit is connected to a new E7 that we bought at the same time I am assuming via sea talk.  Any thoughts?

Brian

Views: 491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brian,

Class B AIS transceivers transmission power is limited to 2W.  This is essentially a VHF signal and one may typically assume a range of 1 nm/W of transmission power.  As VHF signal transmissions are line of sight, antenna height will also have an affect upon range.  It is recommended that the VHF antenna w/any extension may be tested with a VSWR meter or with the ProAIS2 application.  With a good antenna, cable, coupler assembly, the measured VSWR should be in the range 0.8:1 - 2.0:1.  Should the antenna's VSWR be within this range, then it is recommended that AIS650 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be tested/serviced.

Ok, I think I have found the problem. The installer apparently used a receive only antenna splitter made by Glomex. The AIS receives great but as stated above we get very short transmit range. My question to you is this - is the Raymarine AIS 100 antenna splitter appropriate for use with the AIS 650 transceiver?

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Brian,

Use of a VHF antenna splitter which is not designed for use with CLASS B AIS transceivers may result in damage to the receiver section of the Class B AIS (ex. AIS650) and/or VHF radio.  Class B AIS antenna splitters such as the A80190 AIS100 Active Antenna Splitter are designed to support interfacing a Class B AIS transceiver and a VHF radio to a single VHF antenna.  Class B AIS antenna splitters are designed to protect the receiver of each device from the other devices transmissions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Bob Oriol replied to Bob Oriol's discussion ACU-400 No Longer seen on SeaTalkNG Bus
"I did give up and brought the ACU-400 in for repair."
39 minutes ago
Jon Fox posted a discussion

Port side tiller pilot

I have the tiller pilot bundled with the ev-1, acu100, and the P70 head.  My tiller pilot is mounted on the port side.  Not covered in the manuals.  Do I just reverse the power leads to the tiller drive unit or does the system "learn" which side it is on?See More
2 hours ago
Devin Rankin posted a discussion
2 hours ago
Carlo De Leo posted a discussion

S100 wireless

Hello,I have an Autohelm 100/300, and want to buy S100 wireless controller for this autopilot. Does The wireless base station acompany S100? Do I have to buy appart? couldnt find this info on the product manual. Thanks a lot!See More
2 hours ago
Geoffrey Boole posted a discussion

Tacktick Frequency Question

I have a Tacktick T111-868 Depth/Speed/Temperature Display System which was mounted on my Beneteau boat at the French factory. I subsequently bought a T101-916 wind instrument from Defender in the US. It appears the Depth display is working on the 868 frequency? and the Wind Transmitter is on the 916 frequency.  Do I need to change the frequency of the Depth display for optimum performance?I have had some performance issues with both displays especially the wind transmitter which was repaired…See More
2 hours ago
micah hughes replied to micah hughes's discussion Ev-200 pump not getting enough power?
"I figured it out. jumped started the pump from direct power to kick out some excess pressure in the hydraulic system. works awesome now. First pressurized system i have worked on. Hope it's the last. "
2 hours ago
Edward Gold replied to Edward Gold's discussion Intermittent tracking problem ST6000+ c80 classic
"Conditions of Sea and Wind and route do not seem to be a factor... Thanks for trying... Any thoughts would be appreciated..."
2 hours ago
Dan Stover posted a discussion

Source for sprockets for Type 1 Rotary Drive

I am considering an EV200 with a Type 1 Rotary DriveBased on the Raymarine manual for a Type 1 Rotary Drive with two turns lock to lock for the rudder I will need a 13 tooth drive on the Rotary Drive and a 38 tooth drive on the back of the wheel shaft.  My boat is at the higher end of the displacement limit for a Type 1 drive but I won't be doing serious off shore sailing.  Is there another tooth combination that will work well with 2 turns lock to lock if I can't get the 13/38 tooth…See More
2 hours ago
steven Vassallo replied to steven Vassallo's discussion EV 1 P70 display software update
"So how is this online technical support supposed to help?? maybe Raymarine needs to hire more technical support ,they have so many issues and necessary updates its really frustrating trying to get this c*** resolved when instead we need to be…"
3 hours ago
Gary Gleason replied to Gary Gleason's discussion Digital Radome quit working
"Just disconnected both seatalk cables on back of c95 then reconnected them. Radar worked for a couple of minutes then went to a not connected status. No radar. How can I test the seatalk to the radar?"
3 hours ago
steven Vassallo posted discussions
3 hours ago
Douglas Majors posted a discussion

EV-100 Compass deviation

The compass deviation is 178 deg.  The unit works good.  It was 10 deg. previously and the boat took a hard turn starboard when engaged.  The 178 deg. was obtained using auto calibration.  I will try to relocate the compass.  Don't know what is happening.  I know it's suppose to be under 15 degs.See More
3 hours ago
Chip posted a discussion

18 inch digital radome

My new radar has stopped receiving echoes.The radar status icon is rotating and the menu shows the radar in transmit. But no returns showing up on the screen or on chart overlay. Installed in June and worked great until two days ago.I also have a new E7D using software version 14.36–00359. Thoughts on solving this problem? Thanks.
3 hours ago
micah hughes posted a discussion

Ev-200 pump not getting enough power?

I have an Ev-200 that has been installed. It will not move the rudders though. Pump runs in shorts bursts and every once in a while will run for 30 seconds or so but still is not moving the rudders. The voltage is extremely low it seems. going to the pump it spikes around 8 volts at best. before the Acu-200 the voltage is 12.4. could this be my problem? Also this pump sound terrible as if a bearing is going.Boat has a pressurized hydraulic steering system. keep in mind this is just one of many…See More
3 hours ago
Scott Perry posted a discussion

T108 GPS

I've installed a t108 system but am not getting any readings from the GPS, even though everything else works. Any way to troubleshoot this or it the hull transmitter malfunctioning/defective.See More
3 hours ago
jerome aucan posted a discussion

DST800-ITC5

I've built a STNg network with a I70-ITC5 (plus a garmin GPS on a spur).The wind sensor is connected to the ITC5 and works fine (LED ON on the ITC5, and data transmitted on the network).When connecting the DST800 (using the specification for cabling a DST800 to an ITC5), the speed/temp works (LED ON on the ITC5, and data transmitted on the network), but the depth does not (LED flashing 'Not connected' on the ITC5, and no data on the network)A raymarine dealer loaned me another new DST800, and…See More
3 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Moderator - Raymarine, US.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service